Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

calculating car value

Options
  • 17-03-2007 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if the revenue commisioners are accurate in calculating the value of your car - they give the omsp but is the vrt to be added to this to get the value or is the omsp the actual value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

The VRT is calculated as x% of the omsp. So for a 2 Ltr (30% VRT) with an omsp of 30K, VRT is 9K

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

so if i get omsp of 10k and vrt of 3k, price is still 10 - not 13?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

land9 wrote:

but the point is, you wont have paid 10k for it, otherwise why would you have gone outside the country to buy the car in the first place.

The reasonign is, you see a car for 10k here, but its 7k in the uk. the 3k is o make up the difference.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What you paid for it is irrelevant - VRT is based on the OMSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

VRT is only on new or imported cars. The omsp is a nominal figure which the revenue feels that an equivalent car would sell for in Ireland.

Maybe an example would clarify:

If you take a 2 year old 2.0L car that that has an omsp of €20K. That represents the price that the car would sell for in Ireland and includes all applicable taxes. In other words it the price you would pay for a second hand car on which the VRT was paid when it was new)

If you imported an equivalent car from the UK and it cost you £8K ~ €12K, then the VRT is caculated as 30% of €20K = €6.3K. So on top of the €12K you paid for the car in the UK, you would have to pay the revenue €6.3K VRT.

you would be paying €18.6K for your imported car, or you would have paid €20K if you bought the same car in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The OMSP is what the VRO value the car to be worth here in Ireland. VRT is then What the car cost to buy in the UK has no relevance on the OMSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

land9 wrote:

thanks for the replies, but what I want to know is that if the omsp is the final price or if vrt is added on - i wanna get a rough idea what price I should be asking for a car

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The OMSP is a retail price which would include a residual element of VRT.
    Anyhow, VRT is a recursive tax, i.e. it is applied on the value of the car including VRT, so the VRO calculating a used cars value in this manner is the same as calculating the VRT on a new car.

Advertisement