Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you say this?

• 17-03-2007 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Im trying to write an introduction letter to a french family that I hope to au pair for this summer and I want to know how to say:

" I hope to develop a good relationship with you all"

My thought is that the developer will need to take the subjunctive in the future tense and I dont know what the future subjunctive of developer is.

All help much appreciated,
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Mackleton wrote:
    Hey all,
    Im trying to write an introduction letter to a french family that I hope to au pair for this summer and I want to know how to say:

" I hope to develop a good relationship with you all"

My thought is that the developer will need to take the subjunctive in the future tense and I dont know what the future subjunctive of developer is.

All help much appreciated,
    Cheers
    Okay, there is no future subjunctive in french AT ALL! To use the subjunctive for the future, you must use the present subjunctive.

BUT, to say "I hope that..." "J'espére que...", you use the indicative, not the subjunctive because it expresses liking, wishness, inclination and thus don't take the subjunctive.

So "I hope to develop a good relationship with you all" would be

"J'espère développer un bon rapport avec vous tous".

Although, I'm not sure if that would be good French. Francophones might say something different. I'm not French so you'll have to ask a francophone.

Bonne chance! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭embraer170

Maybe "de bons rapports" instead of "un bord rapport"?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Ok so does this sound right?

"J’espère développer de bons rapports avec nous par devenir un pièce de votre famille."

Thanks as well for suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Mackleton wrote:
    Ok so does this sound right?

"J’espère développer de bons rapports avec nous par devenir un pièce de votre famille."

Thanks as well for suggestions

I know what u mean with this sentense, but really it would be a bit weird to say it (Well write it)

I would say something like that instead :

"Je suis sur que nous allons bien nous entendre et que ce sejour au sein de votre famille nous permettra de creer une longue et sincère amitié."

Forget about :
    "devenir un pièce de votre famille"
    Could mean you want to be a member of the familly as a son in law or ... a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Ooo very nice! Cheers Mick, I see what you mean, my sentence was a bit of a mish mash, anyway yours is much better, thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

mick.fr wrote:
    I know what u mean with this sentense, but really it would be a bit weird to say it (Well write it)

I would say something like that instead :

"Je suis sur que nous allons bien nous entendre et que ce sejour au sein de votre famille nous permettra de creer une longue et sincère amitié."
    Well said that...
    mick.fr wrote:
    Forget about :
    "devenir un pièce de votre famille"
    Could mean you want to be a member of the familly as a son in law or ... a dog.
    LOL :D

Advertisement