Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The NCT

Options
  • 17-03-2007 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

is there any legal requirement about the nct, such as if i'm caught without it will i be prossicuted or fined? My current car is nct'd till 11/07 but ill be selling it soon and will have another car one without an nct i'll be driving it for a while while i'm repairing another one that will be my daily driver i'm planning on driving the car without the nct for about 1-3 months, but i'll be getting the car checked over by a mecanic friend of mine so the car will be safe, but what's the laws stance on driving without a vaild nct.

-VB-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

you won,t have tax on your car if you don,t have a nct on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

you can tax your car no problem without an nct, do it online or in the tax office they don't even mention the nct...

as for the legal requirement, it hasn't been brought in yet due to backlogs and long waiting times to get an nct done..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you sure about that Patrick?
    AFAIK a lot of people have been done for not having an NCT. Mine has been out since last April and Im in no rush to get it sorted. Don't get me wrong - the car is roadworthy - I just don't think its a good test as there are too manu inconsistencies in it.
    I have stopped at numerous checkpoints and not a bother. In a recent incident when a car hit me there was no reference made by his insurers about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

It is a legal requirment, but not really enforced.

Mine was due in Jan. I'll do it next month as the car needs the timing belt and few bits as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

As a general rule, none of mine have been N.C.T. tested and none of them will be. As its commen sense, all of them are road worthy. I won't be rushing out to get them tested either.
    Its just another tax as far as I'm concerned and I'm paying enough already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

You would probably get away with out a NCT if stopped by the cops, more than likely they wont even bother to ask you for it.

However, in the worst senario such as a very serious accident involving a third party, not having an NCT cert could technically classified you as driving an unroadworthy vehicle and could bring up dangerous driving charges in court if the car is found to be defective. A report from an unauthorised garage such as your mates would not be worth the paper its written on.

Unless you can produce some paper work from the NCT centre to cover that car while it is pending or awaiting a test or a re check. Theres also the small print in the insurance policy, Ie, would it cover an unroadworthy car? I wouldnt chance anything on the road without full cover.

according to penaltypoints.ie not displaying an nct will be a mandatory court appearance and will incur points/fine etc but it's not an offence yet, until they can reduce the waiting times for the nct.

Advertisement