Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Purchasing Toyota Celica <2000 Reg

Options
  • 17-03-2007 6:05pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have recently become interested in buying a Celica with the newer body and have been browsing carzone.ie' selection

I was just wondering what models exactly are available, i would like to keep my insurance down since im only 23 so is there any model below the VVT-i or would that be the standard celica. To be honest im really just interested in the comfortable interior and quiet like the way the new body looks, don't care much for power

Any owners on here with any feedback on them by the way?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Celica from late 1999 was offically available in Ireland with only one engine, a 140bhp 1.8 litre VVTi. This will probably be the least expensive for you to insure. Will not burn up the road but generally is good enough for our roads. Only thing is that Irish Celicas tend to be expensive second hand.

UK imported Celicas had a couple of versions available, the standard 140bhp 1.8 VVTi and a 190bhp VVTi-L engine often know as the T-Sport which is way more powerful than the standard model. UK imported models are also generally better equipped than Irish models. They come with toys such leather seats, 17" alloys, electric sunroof, sat nav, cd changer, etc.

Then there are the Jap import Celicas which come in different specifications also. Some of these come with the 140bhp and 190bhp 1.8 litre but afaik a 2.0 litre Yamaha Beams designed engine which has 200bhp plus was also available. Jap imports can be distinguished from Irish/UK Celicas by a few things: The side indicators are usually built into the corner of the front bumper rather than on the wings of the Irish/UK cars. The speedo is measured in kph too. Another give away is the square number plate at the rear.

It might be worth going to the UK for one as they represent better value and are better equipped.

Advertisement