Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding Campbells Dwarf hamsters

Options
  • 17-03-2007 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

I have one male and two female dwarf hamsters who I keep in two separate cages. Over the years, I have had 6 or 7 pairs of dwarves, but never thought about breeding them.

However, now I'd like to try. I've created a situation where I introduce one of my females into the male's territory. Initially, she was having none of him, but after a few visits, she has begun to get more amenable to him, to the extent of raising up her tail and hindquarters, but yet when he tries to mount her, she throws him off.

Essentially, if anyone has experience with this, could you please offer me some advice? Is it too late to mate them, seeing as how they have lived apart for some time?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hope they aren't related to each other, and unless you plan to keep all the babies it can be hard finding good homes for hamsters. Also I don't know how old your hamsters are so no idea if they are suitable for breeding. TBH you should really get all the information you can before you put them in together at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm hardly planning on breeding them for the craic. I've had hamsters for years, but have always bought them from petshops or gotten them from fellow breeders. I currently have a gorgeous champagne male that I would like to breed.

I've read quite widely, yet there is a fair gap in all the books that I have concerning mixing adult hamsters. I know Campbells are a little more docile when it comes to mixing adults when compared to Roborovskis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hi - I posted up some basic care sheets I wrote a few years ago in the care sheets thread - I have breed hamsters & other critters for years now - its a lot of work & sometimes you can find good owners easily & other times you need to buy lots of cages to care for all the ickle babies!

Anyway have a look at my sheets I do need to do some more work on the sheets but it will give you a starting point etc.

Advertisement