Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty for no NCT?

Options
  • 17-03-2007 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

My NCT is out for about 18months. Now I have to collect my brother from Busarus (the bus station) at 10pm, but I'm concerned about Garda checkpoints between here (UCD) and Busarus. Worst comes to worst, do I get points on my licence? Is there a fine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

get a bloody test done. also unless im wrong you cant tax a car without a valid NCT, and your 18months out of NCT ? ........ you deserve to get caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

ZygOte wrote:
    get a bloody test done. also unless im wrong you cant tax a car without a valid NCT, and your 18months out of NCT ? ........ you deserve to get caught.

The car is taxed, relax.

I'm a student and its my girlfriend's car anyway, she's a student too. You're right, though, we should get it done, it's not that expensive.

Thanks for your helpful advice though.

It's only for a NEW car that you need to have a valid NCT in order to get it taxed. After that it's all good.

We've been stopped three times so far and the (very nice) guards let us off and told us to get it done.

Maybe our luck has run out though? I'm off to collect him now (he should really just get a cab). I'll let you know how I get on, Sperm'n'Egg ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

ZygOte wrote:

Incorrect! You're not asked for NCT at all when taxing your car.

There's a school of thought that the Gardai don't give a toss about whether your car has NCT at all.

I'm sure the penalties for not having a valid NCT are documented on the NCT website.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

ZygOte wrote:

You can get road tax without an NCT

and if your doing it on line you dont even need valid insurance just enter any number and it will go through

I have been stopped at a check point without an NCT cert displayed

the tax and insurance were in date he never commented on the NCT

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

I mentioned this on a previous thread and ill mention it again here because i think its important.

..................................................................................................

You would probably get away with out a NCT cert if stopped by the cops, more than likely they wont even bother to ask you for it.

However, in the worst senario such as a very serious accident involving a third party, not having an NCT cert could technically classified you as driving an unroadworthy vehicle and could bring up dangerous driving charges in court if the car is found to be defective. A report from an unauthorised garage such as your mates would not be worth the paper its written on.

Unless you can produce some paper work from the NCT centre to cover that car while it is pending or awaiting a test or a re check. Theres also the small print in the insurance policy, Ie, would it cover an unroadworthy car? I wouldnt chance anything on the road without full cover.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

rediguana wrote:
    It's only for a NEW car that you need to have a valid NCT in order to get it taxed. After that it's all good.
    new cars don't have an NCT. The NCT is only applicable on cars 4 years or older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭seastar

I think he meant 'new' as in 'new to me' i.e. second hand

Good news. No guards. I gotta get that NCT done though. It's true about the accident scenario, wouldn't look too good, pleading your case and no NCT.

Thanks, everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

My NCT was due in early March. I didn't hear from them so phoned the NCT. They told me there is a backlog in this area and put me down for April. I guess if the guards stop me I'll be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

rediguana wrote:
    My NCT is out for about 18months. Now I have to collect my brother from Busarus (the bus station) at 10pm, but I'm concerned about Garda checkpoints between here (UCD) and Busarus. Worst comes to worst, do I get points on my licence? Is there a fine?

You are in for some shock when you go for nct,if you pass it will not be valid
    for two years like you would think.
    It will be backdated 18 months so you will have to do it again in another six months.

macshadow wrote:
    It will be backdated 18 months so you will have to do it again in another six months.

Agh. I actually knew that but had forgotten. The car's actually great though. Japanese, late nineties, serviced recently, never ever gives trouble.

I'll call up first thing on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 nudelude

macshadow wrote:

This is correct and in my opinion very unfair. What happens if you buy a car that has been off the road for just over 2 years? Taken off the road when the last NCT expired lets say. Asuming the technical side is fine, in theory if you bring it to the NCT test centre it will be tested and vaildated from 2 years ago for another 2 years which would still be out of date and so another test would be required immediately. Is anyone aware of any provisions in the legislation for this sceanrio. I believe that if the car is tested it should be valid from 2 years from when ever the test is done. The test paramaters must take into account 2 years wear and tear meaning that at the end of the 2 years under normal driving conditions it is likely the car would still be roadworthy? I wonder what way the UK MOT works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I could well be wrong but I think the MOT only lasts a year in the UK, on vehicles more than three years of age. I think they want to change it so it lasts two years, like here.

The MoT is an annual test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

No NCT:

1. Mandatory court appearance
    2. 5 penalty points
    3. Up to €1500 fine

You may even get 5 more points if you vehicle is dangerously unfit.

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/mandatory_court_appearance.php

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

nudelude wrote:
    This is correct and in my opinion very unfair. What happens if you buy a car that has been off the road for just over 2 years? Taken off the road when the last NCT expired lets say. Asuming the technical side is fine, in theory if you bring it to the NCT test centre it will be tested and vaildated from 2 years ago for another 2 years which would still be out of date and so another test would be required immediately. Is anyone aware of any provisions in the legislation for this sceanrio. I believe that if the car is tested it should be valid from 2 years from when ever the test is done. The test paramaters must take into account 2 years wear and tear meaning that at the end of the 2 years under normal driving conditions it is likely the car would still be roadworthy? I wonder what way the UK MOT works?

It is very unfair,it happened to my sister recently,she bought a car from an old woman who hadn't used it for over a year.
    It would be interesting to see what would happen if a car was without an NCT
    for over two years.

The MOT is valid for a year and unlike hear the testing center can carry out the repairs.I can only imagine what would happen in rip of ireland in that was
    the case here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I thought that not having your NCT invalidates your insurance??

JHMEG wrote:
    No NCT:

2. 5 penalty points
    3. Up to €1500 fine

Maybe so, but it (like so many laws) is not enforced.
    faceman wrote:
    I thought that not having your NCT invalidates your insurance??
    It doesn't invalidate your insurance but liability may be placed upon you if the not having an NCT could be attributed to the cause of the accident. It too (I believe) is enforced a bit more by the insurance companys than L drivers driving unaccompanied.

kbannon wrote:
    The MoT is an annual test

Yes, in the UK the MOT is valid for 12 months from the date of test plus any outstanding time from last years cert (max one month).

eg, if you have a test on 20 March then the MOT is valid till 19 March or if you have last years cert (valid til 12 April) then you get an MOT valid to 11 April next year. You needed to show the MOT cert (& Insurance) in the post office before getting the toad tax.

The NCT process is locked in to when the vehicle was first registered.

• Advertisement

NCT booked for April 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

You can get your 01 and older car tested up to three months ahead of its due date so i would check out the date of first registration before you book. For a cars first test, eg. a 03 car which are being tested this year, you can book up to 6 months ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

JHMEG wrote:
    No NCT:

2. 5 penalty points
    3. Up to €1500 fine

if you read this website again you'll see that it says

"Offences highlighted in bold are active penalty point offences"

but that the NCT is not in bold,
    i think this is one of the new penalty points that there trying to introduce

Advertisement