Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing errors!

• 17-03-2007 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

I've got a problem with my Debian Linux. I'm trying to install Beryl & TeamSpeak2
    but it wont let me because I "Haven't got permission".

Here is a sample error I get while trying to open TeamSpeak's setup.sh file:

"Failed to open file '/home/Davitt/Desktop/ts2_client_rc2_2032/setup.sh': Permission denied"

I get a similar message while trying to install Beryl via shell.

PWEASE help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Do you know how the root account in linux works? From the above description it sounds like you need root permission for installing the applications, which you need for installing almost every application in linux.

I'm not sure how it works on Debian but on Fedora you type "sudo command" to run command as root user. You will then be asked for your password and once entered the command program will run with full permissions on your system.

If sudo doesn't work then try "su -". You will then be asked for your root password for the system. Then you can run anything you want until you type "exit" or close the terminal window.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Bear in mind that Debian (and, consequently, Ubuntu) plays nicest with packaged software: applications that have been prepared in neat bundles called "debs" (they have a .deb extension) containing all the files needed, along with scripts for installing them correctly. APT, the automated packaging tool, manages the dependencies between these packages for you.

You'll need sudo as bman says if you plan to install stuff outside of your home directory. Many apps can be installed local to your home directory without root priveleges.

I'm a little puzzled as to why you don't have permission to access something that's already in your home directory. How did you get it there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

I know how to use root (by using "$ su" then entering PW) but it still wont work then. I've just basically downloaded the TeamSpeak2 folder onto the desktop and unpacked it onto the desktop.

Right, I got on root and located the directory but I get this error:

"root@Echo:~# /home/Davitt/Desktop/ts2_client_rc2_2032/setup.sh
    installer: cannot connect to X server"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

So Glad wrote:
    I know how to use root (by using "$ su" then entering PW) but it still wont work then. I've just basically downloaded the TeamSpeak2 folder onto the desktop and unpacked it onto the desktop.
    I think you use 'sudo' instead of 'su' on Ubuntu.

• Advertisement

I've done that and I get:
    davitt@Echo:~/Desktop/ts2_client_rc2_2032$ sudo apt-get install setup.sh
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package setup.sh

I give up :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

These are the sort of things (.debs) that Oscarbravo was talking about , http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/t/teamspeak-client/

or easier still : http://packages.debian.org/testing/net/teamspeak-client

apt-get install teamspeak-client sorta thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

So Glad wrote:
    sudo apt-get install setup.sh

This isn't how APT works - as bushy mentions above, you would use apt-get to download and install a teamspeak package from a repository.

APT is one of the reasons Debian (and consequently Ubuntu) is so popular - I'd highly recommend learning about it (although IMO there are still times when it's better to compile from source).

I downloaded that Debian TeamSpeak2 but I don't know how to install it. I don't see an installer file and I'm not great a shell commands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

What edition of Debian are you using? If you're running Debian Etch (4.0), Bushy just gave you the exact command to type. Otherwise, you could add the 'testing' repositories to your APT configs (google).

Even without using APT, you should be able to install from the .deb file (I would have thought that Debian would automatically associate synaptic or something with .deb files :confused: ). Try a 'dpkg --install <packagename>.deb'.

• Advertisement

I'm using "DreamLinux" which I think uses Debian.

I tried dpkg --install but I got this:
    root@Echo:/home/davitt# dpkg --install teamspeak-client_2.0.32-2_i386.de
    dpkg: error processing teamspeak-client_2.0.32-2_i386.deb (--install):
     cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     teamspeak-client_2.0.32-2_i386.de

Here's the error I get when trying to install Beryl...
    davitt@Echo:~$ apt-get install beryl beryl-core beryl-manager beryl-plugins
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    davitt@Echo:~$
    davitt@Echo:~$ su
    root@Echo:/home/davitt# apt-get install beryl beryl-core beryl-manager beryl-plugins
    E: Couldn't find package beryl

Any help is appreciated because I don't want to install another Linux again.

Hmm, I'm trying to delete the TeamSpeak2 files but I don't have permission to do that either. I don't even have permission to move them. There must be an obvious solution here, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

So Glad wrote:
    davitt@Echo:~$ *sudo* apt-get install beryl beryl-core beryl-manager

Another problem is that sometimes linux throws permission errors about files that aren't there (that might not be your problem, but if you're root, i.e. definitely have access, make sure that you have the correct path)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

So Glad wrote:
    davitt@Echo:~$ apt-get install beryl beryl-core beryl-manager beryl-plugins
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    davitt@Echo:~$
    davitt@Echo:~$ su
    root@Echo:/home/davitt# apt-get install beryl beryl-core beryl-manager beryl-plugins
    E: Couldn't find package beryl

Any help is appreciated because I don't want to install another Linux again.

It would be easy to install actual Debian , you may be better off .

It's fine. I've reinstalled Ubuntu and everything is grand and dandy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

Next time try running the following first
    apt-cache search beryl

That will tell you what packages are available to install with the name beryl. It was most likely that you didn't have a suitable repository enabled to install beryl from. Hence it couldn't find it.

Advertisement