Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy St. Patricks Day to boardsies abroad

Options
  • 17-03-2007 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

A bit late for some, party still happening for others but Happy St Patricks day to one and all. It would have ben nice to win the 6 nations today but oh well :)

I had a quiet day, myself and Mrs r3nu4l (also Irish) had a day of gardening and relaxing followed by wine (and obligatory pint bottle of Guinness for me). I watched the six o colok news online on RTÉ website and suffice to say the parades seem to be the same every year, in some senses it's good to see that some things don't change :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Indeed, have a good one of what remains. Lollers at one of the American band who forgot/arrived without their instruments. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

There's always one :)

btw, on #BG+RH atm :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Gah, I had a frustrating night. Needless to say, I'm drunk now.

Faith wrote:
    Gah, I had a frustrating night. Needless to say, I'm drunk now.

Sorry to hear that Faith, I had a good night...and yes, I too am drunk...or at least I'm getting there :)

I've been drinking since 5 o' clock*. I'm in danger of losing my Spell Czechs membership!

*Watching the 6 nations, not because I'm a crazy alco...

• Advertisement

Okay we lost but it was a good day overall for Ireland, very close to winning the 6 nations but at least we got the triple crown :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

/me stays from away from Faith's fora.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

Went to some Irish friends - Started off with some Black Velvet, then BBQ with Colcannon, yummy !
    Washed down with some of the local Grape Juice ... ! Suffering today though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ugghhhh, my head hurts ......started at 1130GMT yesterday and finished up at 0500 GMT - a good time was had by all ;)

Also, a belated happy paddys day to my fellow ex-pats - im sure ye coloured your respective countries/cities/whereever-you-are, Green yesterday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Croatian

I'm little late but happy St. Patrick's day to everyone:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Fairly good Paddy's weekend. Got out of work early on Friday for a snowstorm. Had a few beers watching Black Books and hopped on the train downtown to see The Pogues. Shane was in good form - despite singing from a wheelchair. Had to leave during the second encore song to get the last train home, and then the stupid train was almost an hour late anyway because of ice on the wires.

After shoveling out the next day, got the train downtown for more pints. Trains were so jammed full of Frat boys wearing Guinness T-shirts they were skipping my station, so we had to take the train in the other direction for four stops and come back in. Got downtown eventually but had completely missed the rugby, and the rest of the crew had a six hour lead on us, pintswise (Rugby had started at 9:00am Philadelphia time).

Tried to catch up, paying $8 for Guinness in a plastic cup, the first of which the barmaid had put in a lemon (yes, a slice of fekkin lemon in my Guinness) for some reason. Bar was a standard Paddy's-Day-in-the-States scenario. Everyone wearing green, plastered, and a Tom Dunne compilation blasting. My friend's wife tried to grab a green hat off this dude near us, and the poor lad turned out to be mentally disabled. Red faces all round.

Probably my most stereotypical Irish Abroad Paddy's Day in years, though we did take a break in Greek bar chatting to a gay Puerto Rican barman to get away from the shamrockery for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

This coming into work lark on Monday just isn't cool though:( . Creating a petition to grant the Irish abroad a Paddy's day bank holiday. Its our birthright;)

Yep, I was listening to RTÉ radio 1 online this morning at breakfast and the presenter said something about 'this bank holiday Monday'. For a second I thought to myself...hang on? It's a bank holiday today? Then it dawned on me :(

I took the day off lectures in honour of it (also because I was out last night too, and now I've a bit of an accumulated hangover). I have a tutorial this afternoon that I can't miss though :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

r3nu4l wrote:
    Okay we lost but it was a good day overall for Ireland, very close to winning the 6 nations but at least we got the triple crown :)

Ummm, but don't forget we won the cricket.:cool:

Had a great Paddy's day. I walked my dogs, cleaned my couch (it was great to get the stains out:) ). Then went to a great Paddy's day party in Brixton. Had a fantastic time, though on the first of the two buses home I got a desperate urge to pee. Luckily Trafalgar Square was full of port-a-potties due to the parade so I didn't have to hold it for another 45 minutes on the way home. Hooray for St Pat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 violatom

Yes I was going to mention the fantastic win against pakistan. I was in Lancashire (normally I'm in Glasgow) teaching folk songs to various folk. Amazing selection of ales though (8-9%!!!) and got most of my drinks bought for me (being the only irishman for quite a few miles!!). So not all bad.

Advertisement