Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watches

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i always wear a watch!

mines the d+g sparkly one...love it, though all the diamond thingy are starting to come out!!

my phone is always at the end of my bag and stuff so its just too awkward to keep taking it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Do any of you wear watches anymore?

I'm a little bored of fumbling through my pockets for my phone everytime I want to know the time, and an interesting watch might be nice.

http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=34828&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=2536&iSubCat=2538&iProductID=34828

I like the look of that kinda watch, where the strap is more a wrist-band than an ordinary strap. Anyways have you guys got an favs?

Most people have quite a few watches. Buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Have a gorgeous Swatch watch that my husband bought me for Valentines, I also have a really expensive watch that I never wear that is a family heirloom - would not dream of being without my watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Nah, I don't wear one. Never have. I don't wear any rings or jewellery either.

I'm thinking I'll get one soon though. I'm starting out in my career and I want to impress. Same as shoes. They can make the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have a swatch that I wear with suits.
    I want to get a Halifax from Magnus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I always have one. If its not my Festina then its a Fossil (similar).

I'm thinking a Tag Heur for the next one, ah sure we'll see :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I used to wear a watch but it was stolen and I was ages without one so even when I was wearing one I'd be checking my phone instead of looking at my wrist. Never wear one anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

connundrum wrote:
    I always have one. If its not my Festina then its a Fossil (similar).

I'm thinking a Tag Heur for the next one, ah sure we'll see :p

Connundrum I really like the look of that Fossil one, where it looks kinda like the watch has been built into a wrist band.

Where can you check out Fossil watches over here? If you can't, where did you pick yours up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Connundrum I really like the look of that Fossil one, where it looks kinda like the watch has been built into a wrist band.

Where can you check out Fossil watches over here? If you can't, where did you pick yours up?
    I concure with this, those fossil watches look great. Enlighten us Connundrum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

watches are great, nothing like the constant ticking of a nice automatic watch.

i have an 2002 omega seamaster automatic (picture is the 2006 model) which i wear most days.

i do like the look of them fossil watches though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

that's a pretty nice watch connundrum
    i always wear a watch. have a great 1930's wind-up one that i got in a market in london a few years back. it loses a few minutes every day, but has a great tick

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

catspring wrote:
    I have a great 1930's wind-up one that i got in a market in london a few years back. it loses a few minutes every day, but has a great tick
    Bring it to a good watchmaker and if the movement's any quality you can get much better accuracy out of it than that. You might be surprised. A lot of the older watches have much better movements than most of the modern mechanicals. Might only need a clean. I've one from 1918 that keeps time within seconds per day. I've a couple of old ones that would be pretty accurate. One I would only have to reset the time every couple of weeks if I wound it every day.

The Fossils seem to be a mixture of 30's pilot watches and 70's style. The wristbands on them are very similar to the earliest wristwatches.

http://www.cornhusker.net/~pflc/wb1.jpg

What goes around comes around if you wait long enough.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I used to wear a watch almost 24/7, then the battery died on it and I haven't gotten around to replacing it as of yet. Might invest in a nice one someday soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I wear a Casio G-Shock MT-G. I rarely take a watch of my wrist. Always wear it on the underside of my wrist, this watch was perfect because the face is sunken and avoids scratches and it can take a bit of beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I promised myself a Tag Heuer this year, don't know why though, I always use my phone for the time. Guess I'm getting old and feel I need a watch ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bedlam wrote:
    Of mine, the one that gets most wrist time at the moment is the Seiko Spring Drive Moon Phase
    Of the newer watches the spring drive concept is very nice. A real innovation. They're well designed too.

Of the other current crop of of the more expensive watches, the tags I always thought were ugly and too expensive for what they were. The breitlings have too many dials and try to push the aviation myth a bit too much. Rolex? nope They're a well crafted watch but the associations are a bit too much for me. The omegas are very nice though. Some of the IWC's are sweet.

Anything in quartz that's over a certain price I could never see the deal with TBH. You're only buying a name as the workings only cost about 20 quid. Great profits for the companies though. The only quartz I have is a G shock. Good watch, but I prefer the analogue display. It's quicker to read.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh i'd never pay more than €50 euros for a quartz watch. automatic all the way.

Automatic? Automatic?? Hand wound Sir is the way to go. Automatic, I don't know. People these days. They want all their work done for them. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Recently did real damage to my pride and joy: http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=295 its gone back to omega. Watches are my herion!

bought this fossel in Chicago (custom with different face) not long ago http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=28668&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=956&iSubCat=960&iProductID=28668 . I love it. Try get it online as they are way overpriced over here.

Wisesmurf wrote:
    Watches are my herion!
    Consider me a fellow addict.:D
    bought this fossel in Chicago (custom with different face) not long ago http://www.fossil.com/shopping/produ...roductID=28668 . I love it.
    Very 70's. Nice look though. I love the way the first thing they say in the description is "vintage mens watch", not vintage look. Vintage but it's new. Ehhhh?:D You have to love ad writers.
    Try get it online as they are way overpriced over here.
    Good advice for pretty much any watch over here. They can be stupidly overpriced and the only way they'll go down is if people chose to not buy them here. Most quality stuff has a worldwide guarantee, so if it does go wrong and any local jeweler gives you any guff about it, contact the manufacturer directly. That sorts them out believe me.

That's the only real problem with going the actual vintage route here. There is so little expertise it's scary. I'm not so sure with most of them if you buy a new mechanical even.

I've a hankering for one of these;
    http://finertimes.com/graphics/images/watches/rx0343.jpg
    More than a bit on the pricey side, but considering the actual, not made up history, I'm sorely tempted. A Heuer supplied to the German airforce before it was bought out by TAG. Sweet. The only issue is if it needs a cleaning or overhaul in the future. Where would you get it done here to a good standard at a fair price? That's the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I can't live without my watch. I go mad if I forget to put it on.
    I recently treated myself to a Tag Heuer. It's well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

i have a nice tissot, got it for my 18th from my sisters and bro, was reduced from i think around 250 to 150 and then my sis had a house of fraiser discount! wouldnt wear anything without a metal bracelet.
    someday ill get my dad's rolex!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Wisesmurf wrote:
    Watches are my herion!

I have to agree with this statement, i bought a citzen eco-drive a couple of years ago in the duty free, really nice watch but I always wanted a breitling.

There is a jewlers in Liffy valley, below the food court, and they usually have sales on and by luck I saw a beautiful one and was able to get it, i think there was 25% off but hey I am going to have it for years

theliam wrote:
    wouldnt wear anything without a metal bracelet.
    Meh a strap is far nicer. More classy and I need all the class I can get.....:D It depends on your wrist. If you got a wrist like a fence post all thick and manly the bracelet works. If you're a bit scrawny it can look like the watch is wearing you and not the other way around.
    someday ill get my dad's rolex!!
    Bejeebers I wouldn't let him hear you say that! :D

nanook wrote:
    I saw a beautiful one and was able to get it, i think there was 25% off but hey I am going to have it for years
    With a half decent mechanical and you look after it, your great grand kids might have it. Which is a cool thought.

Wibbs wrote:
    Meh a strap is far nicer. More classy and I need all the class I can get.....:D It depends on your wrist.

Why would someone spend hundreds/thousands on a finely engineered watch, and then choose cow's skin to lash it to their arm? Metal FTW!

bedlam wrote:
    Don't forget to take weather into account. A bracelet in warm weather is a lot more comfortable and won't get the funk that a leather strap can.
    There's truth in that. It does depend on the quality of the strap too. It depends on the watch itself. If it's garish with loads of subdials, then the bracelet can work better. Then again, I can't really see the deal with some of the breitlings, but on a strap rather than a bracelet they can look an awful lot less tacky and obvious. Adjustment is another issue. I find the bracelets pinch too. Maybe it's me but when I think of bracelets on a watch, I'm thinking low end Rolex on a car salesmans fat wrist. I am weird though, so...
    ned78 wrote:
    Why would someone spend hundreds/thousands on a finely engineered watch, and then choose cow's skin to lash it to their arm? Metal FTW!
    :D Yea but you could spend a 80,000 on something like a Patek and if you put a bracelet on it... No, just no. Anyway I prefer shark or crocodile leather. Something endangered will do nicely. A good strap can cost up to 200 quid so it isn't even a cost issue.

Wibbs wrote:
    Something endangered will do nicely.

PMSL. :D

• Advertisement

bedlam wrote:
    It doesn't just have to be cow :)
    I got a strap from them a couple of years back the quality was unbelievable. The damn strap was better than the watch it was attached to.
    Dr_Teeth wrote:
    I wear a Suunto S6:
    So are you a snowboarder? Or are you like me who wears a pilots watch but only flies when going on holliers? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Wisesmurf wrote:
    bought this fossel in Chicago (custom with different face) not long ago http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=28668&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=956&iSubCat=960&iProductID=28668 . I love it. Try get it online as they are way overpriced over here.

Agreed. Fossil watches are excellent. Mine has taken an awful beating and still looks brand new! Got it in New York two years ago and it's still going strong. Paid 50 dollars for it on sale, saw it in a shop window over here for 450 euro.

Crazy i tells you. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Anyways have you guys got an favs?

Yup :)

6696_1.JPG

Its not to everyone's taste but I dig it :D

Advertisement