Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best GTA

• 02-08-2006 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭

May as well get the inevitable out of the way :D

for me it's gta2, simply because it introduced so many things that are huge parts of GTA today, including gangs, radio stations and so on...

What be thine favourite GTA? 343 votes

Grand Theft Auto
    0% 0 votes
    GTA: London 1969
    5% 18 votes
    GTA2
    0% 1 vote
    GTA3
    2% 9 votes
    GTA: Vice City
    14% 51 votes
    GTA: San Andreas
    37% 129 votes
    GTA: Liberty City Stories
    39% 135 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Vice City for me, again for the music, all the 80's stuff is great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 vidpic

Vice city for me. the first GTA game i really wanted, when i got it i played it non-stop.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

San Andreas got 50 hours out of that, couldnt ask for more.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I like GTA3 as I liked the storyline and I liked the way the dodo was something you had to master afterwards and you could fly around in it for ages. GTA3:MTA was great because if you could fly it you could kill people on the runway or on the road etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

tbh I think GTA3 was the one I remember most fondly, but really more because it was the first of the nice 3D ones... I haven't been as blown away by a game since.
    But being completely honest with myself and leaving nostalgia aside, I'd say San Andreas... getting to do all the crazy things you wanted to be able to do in GTA3 but thought it impossible to do in a game. :D
    Flying around in a jet at high altitude... doing crazy manouvers, then deciding - "ah screw this, I'm jumping out"... pull your parachute and float down into the city, buy yourself some new clothes, then go cap some foo's... brilliant, best GTA yet IMO at least in terms of the kind of things you can get up to.
    Plot-wise though, I miss the mafia theme... I didn't realise this until I started playing LCS... though the gangster homie theme was a nice change of pace.

Anyhoo, the GTA series just keeps getting better and better... I can't wait till GTA4... dying to see what they're going to do next :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

KdjaC wrote:
    San Andreas got 50 hours out of that, couldnt ask for more.

kdjac
    how about 50 hours of enjoyable gameplay...

Vice City for me
    a game that i managed to clear 100%, and actually felt compelled to come back to again afterwards. (
    i can't even be bothered controlling enough gang areas to start the final mission in SA
    )

in order of preference;
    Vice City, GTAIII, GTA, San Andreas, GTA London, GTAII

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The original has just got that retro coolness that does it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Take out flight school and its about 42, but mapping the flying in BF2 to the GTA has served me well :D

Tip: for the gang control take the tank from the army base (fly in the jet pack nick it and leggit) back to your airfield park it and save. Now you have a tank, drive all the way back to SA without killing much.

Go to gang area start war get in tank, wipe out everything. makes taking back the city a lot more fun :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Vice city.... what a fecking game, musta played it well over 70+ hours. Completed the ps2 version twice, and the xbox version once.

KdjaC wrote:
    Tip: for the gang control take the tank from the army base (fly in the jet pack nick it and leggit) back to your airfield park it and save. Now you have a tank, drive all the way back to SA without killing much.

Go to gang area start war get in tank, wipe out everything. makes taking back the city a lot more fun :D
    i like the sound of that actually :D
    i've got a few tanks stashed in the airport hanger already, so might give that a lash later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

San Andreas for me I just loved the way that the game was soo big and them loading screens wer gone, the way you cud customize your guy with clothes and if you didnt eat the right food and didnt go to the gym he wud get fat.

I have had all games exp London but I did get a lend of it for a few weeks. I can remember getting the 1st GTA when I was 11 up in Game in Newry. I remember not being bothered about getting GTA3 until I went up to a friends house and she was playin the game so the next day I went off to the shops to buy the game. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

GTA3 but I prolly shoulda voted fot the original.

Some folks seem to forget that GTA started on teh pc...not on the ps2 with gta3.

The original with the karishnas [sp?], a monster truck on the last level iirc, trains you could hijack and get points for, buses that would run proper bus routes and you could hijack along the route.

Oodles of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Has to be Vice City for me. Coming home over the bridge after a successful mission on a motorbike with REO Speedwagon on the radio (Emotion 98.3). Just pulling a wheelie at the height of the song and firing the machine gun into the air!!! No feeling like it in the world. ooops i'm a nerd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

gta:vice city was the best craic i think,san andreas was prob the best overall game but vice city was prob the most fun......................must have played vice city with the lads for a good 6 months straight i'd say,but just played san andreas straight through

i was most thrown back by the third game i'd say though,the graphics on the ps2 at the time were AMAZING

I can't play the first two anymore after playing GTA3... I even bought GTA2 on the cheap because I skipped it when it was first out... sat down to play it and I was like "gah :( this is poo-ey"
    Years ago I was hooked on the first GTA PC demo and completed the console version, but I can't enjoy the 2d top-down stuff anymore for some reason... maybe I'm a graphics snob (but then I still play games on ZSNES so go figure), or maybe it's just that I know I could be playing the sweet 3d ones.
    Might install it again and force myself to get used to top-down + wanky controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I still love playing GTA 1 and GTA 2, regardless of graphics, sometimes it's the gameplay that keeps you playing rather than the graphics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Has to be San Andreas

I have put about 40 hours into it so far (over 6 months) and am just arriving in Las Vegas now. Its a great game. Not overly keen on the missions I prefer to cruise around and take part in random acts of violence against other gangs, police , old grannies etc etc

I have only completed about 30% of the thing and can see no way how you would ever get 100% completion

Jakkass wrote:
    I still love playing GTA 1 and GTA 2, regardless of graphics, sometimes it's the gameplay that keeps you playing rather than the graphics
    Oh definitely, as I said, I still play SNES games sometimes... so I hear that.
    Though I think there are some gameplay/feel-of-the-game changes that come naturally with a switch to full 3d... like aiming, being able to see far into the distance instead of being limited by how zoomed out the top-down view will go... there's something that seems more natural about it... more immersive aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Vice City, perfected the forumula, and the music was the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

GTA3 is my fave, the dark, gloomy setting and storyline do it for me. Also the "wow" factor of it being the first 3d GTA make it all the more memorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Vice City won my Vote but I'm really enjoying SA at the moment. Taking my time trying to complete the 100% mark but that might be a bit ambitious without Walkthroughs or cheats. I'll give it my best though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

djkeogh wrote:
    Vice City won my Vote but I'm really enjoying SA at the moment. Taking my time trying to complete the 100% mark but that might be a bit ambitious without Walkthroughs or cheats. I'll give it my best though!

Yeah i definetly think that SA was the best. It gave you the power to do a lot more, swim, climb walls, go to the gym etc..... I was very pleased with it. Particuarly when you could swim to another island and get a chase off the police straight away:D .

You should just print out a few hints for the packages and you will be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Vice City

San Andreas was too large a map, some missions had you just driving in the country for 5 mins before you got to do anything... BORING

That and the storyline in Scarface, i mean Vice City was much better.

I've actually talked myself into replaying GTA:SA :eek:
    Garret wrote:
    That and the storyline in Scarface, i mean Vice City was much better.
    "You want the chainsaw gringo?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

joeblogg1 wrote:
    Has to be San Andreas

I have put about 40 hours into it so far (over 6 months) and am just arriving in Las Vegas now. Its a great game. Not overly keen on the missions I prefer to cruise around and take part in random acts of violence against other gangs, police , old grannies etc etc

I have only completed about 30% of the thing and can see no way how you would ever get 100% completion

Only way of doing it is to get online faqs. You can get all the missions done no bother but getting things like tags/horseshoes/photo icons/seashells can´t possibly be done alone (unless you really want to searcha SA for ages)

Best ever for me is San Andreas. I love the way the games have been gradually improving each step of the way. III was the first 3D, vice city allowed you to do extra things like buy buildings and jump out of a moving car, and SA has just moved the bar up again. So much extra stuff, dual weilding of weapons has to be me favourite, but dogfights in a Hydra with other Hydras is class as well.

Can´t fcukin wait till I get a chance to play GTA4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

for me it definitely has to be Vice City, music was the cheesiest and best and I just got hours of fun out of it!

A matter of interest, has anyone ever gotten the elusive 6 wanted stars in Vice City? I took out 3 helicopters earlier and a plethora of special agents, etc and still stuck on 5. :)

Ruu there is a cheat to increase your wanted level if that helps. I can't remember getting all six now that you say it.

Yep I can't remember if the cheat actually raised it up at 6 stars or not, will have a go later on.

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote:
    Yep I can't remember if the cheat actually raised it up at 6 stars or not, will have a go later on.

Hey Ruu, if your interested heres the cheat:

Raise wanted level
    R1,R1,0,R2,left,right,left,right,left,right.

Steak wrote:
    for me it definitely has to be Vice City, music was the cheesiest and best and I just got hours of fun out of it!
    Mmm, I think I like Vice City radio the best aswell... the talk stuff was quite good... just listening to the one in san andreas again and it's a bit on the "meh" side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

yeah i actually bought the sound track. some times my dad would just listen to it while i was playing. we all lovved it and got the soundtrack for the car and long trips, only downside it doesn't have the ammunition ads

Hey Ruu, if your interested heres the cheat:

Raise wanted level
    R1,R1,0,R2,left,right,left,right,left,right.

Have it on the PC but thanks anyway. I used to have it on the PS2 as well but chucked the whole lot when I moved out of the house.

fairly sure i've managed the 6 star wanted level in vice city before... most likely when doing vigelante missions (brown thunder ftw:p )
    did you have the second island unlocked, Ruu?

Ruu wrote:
    Have it on the PC but thanks anyway. I used to have it on the PS2 as well but chucked the whole lot when I moved out of the house.

Im gona go into Game in the next couple of weeks and buy SA and VC for €40. I haven't played them on PC before, are they much harder to control?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Im gona go into Game in the next couple of weeks and buy SA and VC for €40. I haven't played them on PC before, are they much harder to control?

Much easier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

GTAIII wa the king, but i havent played the latest one

Easy to control as kaimera mentioned. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Darren

Vice City for me. Music is so coool.

Ruu wrote:
    Easy to control as kaimera mentioned. :)

Deadly. I'll have to get it then.

• Advertisement

I knew vice city would be ahead in the poll, but I am really surprised SA is a close second, I thought it was terrible!! Stupid life bar.... I gave that game so much time to reel me in, and it never did.

I knew vice city would be ahead in the poll, but I am really surprised SA is a close second, I thought it was terrible!! Stupid life bar.... I gave that game so much time to reel me in, and it never did.

Tbh I liked it, but it just got boaring after a while. MAybe it was too big of a map, but I like driving, so maybe it wasn't that. I neverfinished the game, just got sick of playing it. But the features that were in the game that were'nt in the others was excellent, like being able to climb walls, swim and break into houses. Suppose it wasn't a bad aul game.

I got the VC soundtrack the other day from Amazon (all volumes). Now my neighbours will have to put up with me playing Fascination and Crockett's Theme full blast into the early hours. :)

Vice city FTW!!

Might pickup a psp to play VCS when it comes out.... Or I could just buy saints row and play that till gta4 launches in 2007! :o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Vice City was orgasmic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Loved Vice City, loved the music, even got the albums, but got more hooked on San Andreas. Even pulled a sicky from work for 10 days just to play it. There's so much in it, you never get bored and the map is huge. Its 1 of the few games that took over my life. Cleared it 100% twice. Got weeks of playing out of it, great value for money. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Most definitly SA. The size of it kept me busy for months. Also the swimming and climbing over walls/fences was a great advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

GTA3 for me.

I've been playing San Andreas for the last month (just got a playstation of my own, so instead of playing my brother's games, I've to buy them instead), but this weekend I went and bought a double pack of GTA3 and Vice City, and I've been playing them all for a bit today.

I just can't get over how much I love GTA3. I love the grimy atmosphere, that the later 2 games didn't have. The other 2 are also a little bit more realistic looking, whereas the graphics in GTA3 are a bit cartoony at times, and I like that. The cars seem to explode more spectacularly too. I love the Mafia element too, and Double Cleff FM. In fact, maybe it's just nostalgia, but I prefer the music in this one too.

Just a really great game. The other two were great too when I first got my hands on them, but playing them now just isn't as addictive. San Andreas was just TOO big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Exit wrote:
    San Andreas was just TOO big.

More accurately, TOO Big, TOO empty! I'd like to see one very large city (not as big as whole San Andreas though and some sourrounding countryside (because sometimes its nice to get some fresh air.

I did like getting a fast car and bombing from one city to another along the interstate, but not twice in the one mission, especially if something goes awry and you have drive for miels to get back.

I averaged about 4 or 5 vehicles per trip. I brake for nothing, and with the cliffs and inadvised short cuts cross country, there was a lot of attrition. The bikes were best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 de lioncourt

well GTA3 for me.
    i have played it so many times that i feel its a part of my life now.
    lol.
    liked the bikes and helis in VC and SA.
    but for certain reasons i HATED SA.
    games arent fun when you try to make them TOO realistic.
    SA has the worst cars ever!

• Advertisement
Advertisement