Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose a bike and all the gear I need

Options
  • 18-03-2007 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭

I have a budget of about €1,000. I want a bike, the best lock there is and all the gear I'll need to cycle in Ireland's weather.
    I haven't really cycled in years so I presume things have moved on. I am going to be using the bike to get to and from work so I don't want to be getting too many punctures. I've seen this slime stuff that claims to solve the problem. Does it actually work?
    So basically I just need your recommendations of bikes and where's the best place to buy, in Dublin/online?
    Sorry if this has been done a million times over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Well here is a link to a bike i think is well EQ plus well priced

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360026506

Take a llok here as well for what ever clothing and helmet you need

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hey fletch, what route are you gonna be taking into town? Down to Lucan, along the liffey and then the phoenix park? Bought a bike recently with the hope of doing the same for the summer months.

With a budget of €1000 you should get a good hybrid. Cheapest places will be online but if your spending that much you probably wanna test a few first in shops. Have a look on here anyway... http://chainreactioncycles.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

fletch wrote:
    I have a budget of about €1,000. I want a bike, the best lock there is and all the gear I'll need to cycle in Ireland's weather.
    I haven't really cycled in years so I presume things have moved on. I am going to be using the bike to get to and from work so I don't want to be getting too many punctures. I've seen this slime stuff that claims to solve the problem. Does it actually work?

For commuting short to mid distances that don't involve much climbing I'd recommend buying something comfortable and low maintenance. I'd look for: integrated mudguards, chainguard, hub gears, alu frame, integrated luggage rack, 37 ish width tyres, integrated lights.

Hybrids are often used as city bikes, but IMO they are poorly suited for commuting, or you have to fit a lot of extras to make them suitable.

Forget about the slime, get tyres with puncture protection instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

For the money, surf e-shops, go to the shops and choose.

Aluminium frame, Shimano set (Deore, however Alivio would be enough), all equipment (mud/rain protection, lights...).

35 mm wide tyres must be enough and some "city" tyres are almost glass proof. Don't buy that slime, you will be dirty as hell by repairing punctures. If you are really afraid, pour into your tubes some milk. It#s almost free and works the same.

And don't forget helmet, pants, jacket and gloves. And some hi-visibility stuff.

You could buy all of it for less than 1000 Euro. Epecialy buying it online or in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

mloc123 wrote:
    Hey fletch, what route are you gonna be taking into town? Down to Lucan, along the liffey and then the phoenix park? Bought a bike recently with the hope of doing the same for the summer months.
    Well I have a job offer on the Southside so will be moving out of home and seeing as I will probably move quite close to my job, there is no point using my car as it wouldn't even get warmed up so I figure a bike is the best bet.
    mloc123 wrote:
    Have a look on here anyway... http://chainreactioncycles.com/
    Thanks for the link. I went out to Eurocycle on the Longmile Road this afternoon and had a look at a BH bike which the sales guy said was the best value for the money (€950) It certainly seemed like a quality piece of kit and was featherweight.
    I'm not sure which bike exactly I was looking at as I didn't write down the model number but I think it was this one, L22M, Anybody got anything good or bad to say about BH bikes?
    I like the look of this also BeOne - Storm 3.0
    I also like the look of this Lapierre S-Tech 200 '07 which seems like excellent value when combined with starter pack for only €950

Basically as you can see I'm all over the place! I don't know anything about any of these brands like I would if I'm buying a car and need peoples advice :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

bh are great bikes, not so big here or the UK but massive on the continent and have a TdF team riding them. BeOne seem to be crc's own brand but should be ok. Lapierre again are a continental brand which are big here thanks to cycle superstore stocking them

However I'd say you would be better spending less than 500 on the bike and the other 500 on gear. Good lock, lights, raingear etc etc will come to nearly that...

Exactly.

For the money and the use you are explaining to us could your bike start with this design (this is only example)
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=32&idproduct=1696
    I prefer function for you and your usage. This one is good for up to 5000 km per year.

Spend more on clothing, you are the one to feel the rain, cold, mud...

I forgot - GoreTex shoes. They are essetial for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Lockwise - if you want something insdustrial strength, I strongly recommend the Kryptonite New York series, not cheap but hard as nails.

You'll probably spend another €100 or so on extra gear. If your bike doesn't come with integrated lighting, you'll want to get decent LEDs, a helmet and probably some sort of gloves. I also use a light windsurfing keg when I'm on the road in the winter: it's thin enough to not make you too sweaty but keeps off the wind and rain and the high neck seal means that stuff doesn't drip.

If you're doing commuting it might be worthwhile considering a bike with a pannier rack, and getting yourself a set of pannier bags (I got Vaude 100% waterproof ones and they're superb, cost €80 though!) and a couple of bungees if you're going to strap other stuff to it as well.

Bikewise: for commuting I always recommend anything with hub gears for low maintainence easy shifting. You might like to consider are decent tyres (city contracts/armadillos/marathons) to reduce punctures. Bike-wise, I'd second the recommendations for a city hybrid bike, with integrated mudguards and lighting - saves huge amounts of maintenance time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Don't buy an expensive bike until you have a better understanding of your requirements. Spend €150-€200 to buy a second hand bike from Buy and Sell (which currently has about 20 such bikes for sale in Dublin)and try it out for a couple of months. You'll have a much clearer view on what you really want when you go into the bike shop next time round. You can then unload your 2nd hand bike on Buy and Sell. Don't spend a fortune on protective gear up front either. A helmet and high-vis vest will get you on the road. You might not need lights for the summer if you are commuting in daylight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

fletch wrote:
    Well I have a job offer on the Southside so will be moving out of home and seeing as I will probably move quite close to my job, there is no point using my car as it wouldn't even get warmed up so I figure a bike is the best bet.
    Thanks for the link. I went out to Eurocycle on the Longmile Road this afternoon and had a look at a BH bike which the sales guy said was the best value for the money (€950) It certainly seemed like a quality piece of kit and was featherweight.
    I'm not sure which bike exactly I was looking at as I didn't write down the model number but I think it was this one, L22M, Anybody got anything good or bad to say about BH bikes?
    I like the look of this also BeOne - Storm 3.0
    I also like the look of this Lapierre S-Tech 200 '07 which seems like excellent value when combined with starter pack for only €950

Basically as you can see I'm all over the place! I don't know anything about any of these brands like I would if I'm buying a car and need peoples advice :D

If you're really unsure of what you need, your best bet is just to go the main bike shops (CycleSuperstore, Cycleways, Joe Daly's, Cycleogical etc.) and tell them what you want the bike to do; I presume you're Dublin-based. They'll be able to recommend some options for you and all should be reputable.

€1000 is quite a bit to spend on a commuter, especially if you don't have somewhere secure to keep it. Maybe try to get a cheaper second-hand one to see what you need for your commute, or even loan one if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

If it was me and I had a grand I would go for this
    http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/lifestyle/347/15176/
    Not sure what the RRP is but it's the perfect city/commute bike imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Simona1986 wrote:
    If it was me and I had a grand I would go for this
    http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/lifestyle/347/15176/
    Not sure what the RRP is but it's the perfect city/commute bike imo.

Yum, or one of these. If its 499stg, then probably about e750 in cyclelogical. in other words more than enough change to buy mudguards, lights, lock and waterproof gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

The giant is about £400 (€600) - nice bike although I definitely prefer the SRAM-7 hub instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Re: locks

Get two, of different varieties (e.g., a chain and a D-lock), and get good ones! Both my locks are over €120, but it feels safe. Previously had a cheapish €30 cable+D lock combo thing, and it didn't stand a chance unfortunately.

I would second the comment above on getting a cheap bike first and seeing what you need. You might find that a road bike is not suited to your route, etc., .

Advertisement