Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buses can be a delivery service too

• 18-03-2007 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

_42689329_buscooker203.jpg

A bus driver took passengers on a detour to deliver and unload a cooker and a chest of drawers for friends.

The items were loaded into the space reserved for prams on the Glasgow to Wishaw service run by Coakley buses.

Passenger Margaret Dymond, 28, said she was stunned and took pictures of the goods which were unloaded during a 10-minute detour in Motherwell.

Bus firm owner Eddie Coakley said the Polish bus driver had been given a warning and lost his bonus.

"It shouldn't have happened," Mr Coakley said.

"We brought in an interpreter who spoke to the Polish driver and explained that his behaviour was not acceptable."

The driver made the detour at about 1000 GMT on Monday.

Ms Dymond, a mother-of-four, from Viewpark, Lanarkshire, captured the scene on her mobile phone.

"There was a couple on the bus with a pushchair and a young child and they were having a job getting past," she said.

"That was bad enough but I was stunned when the driver took a right turn off the route and actually took them right to the door of the flat."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6457907.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

thats hilarious:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Isnt that our new heating system?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Quote [Mr Coakley]

"We brought in an interpreter who spoke to the Polish driver and explained that his behaviour was not acceptable."

Hmmmmm....How did they manage to interview the lad for the job in the first instance....?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Do the rural buses still deliver newspapers and day-old chicks?

I was on a Bus Eireann service in the 1980s and the driver stopped off to buy a new coat from a gents outfitters who were having a sale. When he returned, he even stood up and modeled it for us! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

I've often been on buses and the driver has stopped at a shop for himself, don't mind that too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The Bus Eireann bus I used to get home from school delivered the Evening Heralds to the shops along the way. That was 1995.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

ballooba wrote:
    The Bus Eireann bus I used to get home from school delivered the Evening Heralds to the shops along the way. That was 1995.

Some early morning Dublin Bus services (usually the garage ghost bus) also delivered papers until relatively recently!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bue Eireann stopped its parcels service a few months ago.
    KC61 wrote:
    Some early morning Dublin Bus services (usually the garage ghost bus) also delivered papers until relatively recently!!!
    Ghost Bus = bus drivers only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Victor wrote:
    Ghost Bus = bus drivers only?
    Years ago, they used to pick up ordinary passengers even though the particular service was not included in the timetable. I'm not sure about nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Years ago, they used to pick up ordinary passengers even though the particular service was not included in the timetable. I'm not sure about nowadays.

Sorry Victor, I should have spoken in plain english!!!

There are a variety of buses that operate at the crack of dawn from various parts of the city (some in the timetable, some not) that meet in the city centre and then continue to the various Dublin Bus depots. Their main purpose was to bring drivers to work, but this need has diminished as most drivers now have their own car. However many still operate, but not delivering newspapers as far as I know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Does Bus Eireann still have a parcel service? I'm pretty sure they used to - I think you had to collect it from the stop though.

(note BE sitemap refers to Coach Hire and Parcels but the link is broken and now there's only Coach Hire in the top menu. See also here:)
    http://www.buseireann.ie/site/news_centre/press_centre.asp?action=view&news_id=189

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dowlingm wrote:
    Does Bus Eireann still have a parcel service? I'm pretty sure they used to - I think you had to collect it from the stop though.

(note BE sitemap refers to Coach Hire and Parcels but the link is broken and now there's only Coach Hire in the top menu. See also here:)
    http://www.buseireann.ie/site/news_centre/press_centre.asp?action=view&news_id=189

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52938813&postcount=9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Victor wrote:
    Bue Eireann stopped its parcels service a few months ago.Ghost Bus = bus drivers only?

Some are service cars now that go 'VIA' the depot, the first couple of 7's being an example.
    At night there is a Dalkey ghost serving Dun laoghaire - drivers only.
    Also a Bray ghost going straight down the N11, Clondalkin and two City bound from Donnybrook. Dont know about the other garages.

Advertisement