Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castletroy Obelisk!

Options
  • 18-03-2007 2:51pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what the great big tall pillar they're building beside the new Aldi on the Dublin Road is?
    It looks like the start of a tall building of some description.
    One of the lads called it the "anti scumbag obelisk" tho...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was reading one of those free property newspapers that come in the letter box at the weekend and Sherry Fitzgerald is advertising retail units behind the new Aldi. According to the ad there is a 72 bedroom hotel being built on that site also. I have seen the structure your talking about and it seems to be to the right of Aldi closer to the Groody river. I initially thought it was another mobile phone transmitter but it looks a bit more detailed than one of those.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yep, its a serious lump of concrete. So it could be the hotel then.
    Unusual move with the Castletroy Park Hotel almost next door with its new retail units and retirement houses almost done.

Should be interesting to see that road when the planned library, gym and (yet more) retail units open beside TK MAxx.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I was wondering what it was too....Casteltroy is really getting developed!

Supposedly we're getting a Garda Station up beside the halting site (oh the humour) and there's a park going in somewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

So aldi is beside the quality hotel and now gonna be beside another hotel... is this a marketing technique?
    Also first i've heard about them building a library and a gym beside TK Maxx good news, I'm not shocked or anything im suprised its been left as it is for this long

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

5uspect wrote:
    Supposedly we're getting a Garda Station up beside the halting site (oh the humour) and there's a park going in somewhere too.
    I can confirm that there are plans for a Garda station in the Castletroy area....it has been proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

attachment-6.jpg

attachment-8.jpg

attachment-7.jpg
    A Landmark retail, office and hotel development in Castletroy is due to be completed by the end of this year.

DTZ Sherry Fitzgerald have been appointed sole agents for Park Point, a mixed use scheme incorporating a retail park, offices and a 72 bedroom hotel.

The retail park element comprises 6 retail warehousing units, three of which are already reserved. The remaining three retail units range from 760 square metres to 1,084 square metres.

Park point which is being developed by Cracken Properties/ Kelly developments, is located on the Dublin road adjacent to Aldi and in close proximity to the Parkway Shopping centre, Childers Retail Park, Parkway Retail Park and the proposed Parkway Valley Shopping Centre.

1huge1 wrote:
    Also first i've heard about them building a library and a gym beside TK Maxx good news, I'm not shocked or anything im suprised its been left as it is for this long

I think it is going to be called the Parkway Valley Centre or something to that effect. It will consist of more retail units with at least one major tenant, a library, a gym and possibly a cinema. They have started work on this site already.

How many more retail parks can that area handle or need? The traffic in that area is already a nightmare as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Cool... looks class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

bazz26 wrote:
    with at least one major tenant

Let me guess: Dunnes... or Tesco?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The new obelisk thingy is a lift shaft, so presumably they'll be building the new hotel/whatever around that. Good to see a bit of development on that site, its always been a bit of a derilict sh*thole. Although I can remember standing there watching the blaze the night that furniture store burned down, that was a fun night...

Let me guess: Dunnes... or Tesco?

You'd wonder if they would let them in with Aldi next door. There are already two Dunnes within walking distance. Tesco perhaps.

5uspect wrote:
    You'd wonder if they would let them in with Aldi next door. There are already two Dunnes within walking distance. Tesco perhaps.

Aldi are across the road from Tesco in the Roxboro SC too.

The word on the street is that Super Quinn are interested. There was talk of them taking up the Dunnes Stores premises in the Parkway SC too if Dunnes ever decided they didn't need 2 stores close to each other. But Dunnes don't usually close their stores to let their rivals move in.

cornbb wrote:
    The new obelisk thingy is a lift shaft, so presumably they'll be building the new hotel/whatever around that.

That is the way they built the Riverpoint building too.

bazz26 wrote:
    I think it is going to be called the Parkway Valley Centre or something to that effect. It will consist of more retail units with at least one major tenant, a library, a gym and possibly a cinema. They have started work on this site already.

How many more retail parks can that area handle or need? The traffic in that area is already a nightmare as it is.
    ya especially with the city east retail park down the road open 3 years now and still hasn't filled all its spaces and the soundstore shop being the only one as of yet in the delta retail park...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Isn't it time again for the usual rumour "I've heard M&S is interested in that place. When will they open that store?"

:D :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Isn't it time again for the usual rumour "I've heard M&S is interested in that place. When will they open that store?"

:D :cool:

Opera Center.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Is it me or has there been like at least 10 new hotels built in Limerick in the last 5 years or so? How many hotels do we need ffs?

Thats true, now we need some tourist attractions for the tourists that'll supposedly fill them!

5uspect wrote:
    Thats true, now we need some tourist attractions for the tourists that'll supposedly fill them!
    You would wonder how they all stay open...

• Advertisement

Is it me or has there been like at least 10 new hotels built in Limerick in the last 5 years or so? How many hotels do we need ffs?

Some of those hotels though were replacing old ones that were knocked or sold ie the Hilton replaced Jurry's, the Clarion Suits replaced the old Ryan Hotel and the Royal George was rebuilt.

5uspect wrote:

Its not just tourists that fill the hotels. Limerick has alot of business activity and the hotels thrive on this.

Our company regularly have visitors over from the US on business and they can sometimes find it difficult to get hotel rooms during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

5uspect wrote:

tourist attractions in limerick?

what? where?

never knew limerick had them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yeh the concrete shaft going up is a liftshaft, the frame of the building will be built outwards from it. There's alot of empty sites on the road into the city from UL, good to see it starting to get developed

^^ there aswell as on the tipperary road
    flat empty fields been taken up very fast
    of course with the travelers site right in the middle of it...

is it normal to build a building like that from the inside outwards
    clearly im not expert

Well thats how they build the new skyscrapers in town...

Anyway, isn't that whole area the Castletroy Green Belt or something?
    The last refuge for us civilised folk from the unwashed masses across town!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Grogg

I heard a whisper about a year ago that Superscobes... I mean Supernacks... my bad... Supermacs was going in on the land next to Wheelers. This may have been put off over time because of the tank leak under the Maxol garage those years back. But that still out there?

See that the EPA (or whoever) fellas denied Aldi going in on the Coonagh road (Shannon Road) at my side of town. They were saying that is would take from the over developments in the surrounding areas. Interesting! Good ole Irish approach of brown envelopes and back handers. Aldi should be allowed in to allow the customer to have more choice and competitive prices.

But isn't that whole area on the limerick side of wheelers/Maxol the Castletroy green belt?

There was alomst a 3rd aldi in limerick, suprising shame it didnt happen at that side of the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

What gets my goat is with all these supermarkets everywhere there is still nothing the Corbally side of town. There is a massive population out that side who still have to cross town for a decent Tesco or Dunnes.

When Tesco express moved into the Westbury cetner it was a massive disappointment. I can only presume this happened because Clare county council wouldn't give planning for a proper Tesco but I can't confirm this anywhere.

Advertisement