Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which tyres to get?

Options
  • 18-03-2007 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Hope some of you can help me out here.

I am upgrading my alloys from 15" during the week for the OEM 17" sports pack alloys but I need to pick out some tyres but I don't know what to go for? I want 215/45/17s but which brand. Something not too expensive but not bog standard since. Say around 420 for all 4.

I'll be ordering on Tuesday so I hope I can find out before then. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I think for something decent you may need to increase your budget. You may only get the likes of nankangs for that money, steer clear of these they are rubbish.

Some good tyres which I have had are, goodyear eagle f1's, toyo t1r or t1s, dunlop sp sport max.

Remember your tyres are the only thing keeping you on the road so don't skimp on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Neilw wrote:
    I think for something decent you may need to increase your budget. You may only get the likes of nankangs for that money, steer clear of these they are rubbish.

Some good tyres which I have had are, goodyear eagle f1's, toyo t1r or t1s, dunlop sp sport max.

Remember your tyres are the only thing keeping you on the road so don't skimp on them :)

Ah see this is exactly what I needed. To be honest I was going on prices of tyres over at performancealloys.co.uk

What price are the goodyears and toyos? What about pirelli?

Also do you think it would be worth selling the stock fiat stilo alloys on here ..they're only 15's but alloys and tyres are only 8000kms old and only one of them has minor curbing. Not by me though of course hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you'll not get anything decent for 17" alloys for €420

I'll 2nd the Toyo T1-R's....fantastic tyre and wont break the bank and good prices to be had on eiretyres

Lex Luthor wrote:
    you'll not get anything decent for 17" alloys for €420

I'll 2nd the Toyo T1-R's....fantastic tyre and wont break the bank and good prices to be had on eiretyres

I see what you mean after checking the Goodyears. They're very nice though..

What about Federal SS595's? Hoping to order tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

su_dios wrote:
    What about Federal SS595's? Hoping to order tomorrow

Not much better than the nankangs to be honest. There a cheap brand.

Your better off going the extra hundred euro or so and and getting some good tyres, as I said before tyres are one of the most important parts of your car and shouldn't be skimped on.

I'll give you an example, I had pirelli's on the front and cheap tyres on the rear of my car (minerva I think). I came into a roundabout early one morning, it was raining, back of the car slid out and I was very lucky not to go backwards into some railings. Needless to say I binned the rear tyres and got a pair of decent ones the next day.:eek:

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Neilw wrote:
    Not much better than the nankangs to be honest. There a cheap brand.

Your better off going the extra hundred euro or so and and getting some good tyres, as I said before tyres are one of the most important parts of your car and shouldn't be skimped on.

I'll give you an example, I had pirelli's on the front and cheap tyres on the rear of my car (minerva I think). I came into a roundabout early one morning, it was raining, back of the car slid out and I was very lucky not to go backwards into some railings. Needless to say I binned the rear tyres and got a pair of decent ones the next day.:eek:

Neil.

exactly the same with me, i had good bridgstones on the front of my mondeo, and cheap ones on the back, comin round a sharp bend on a country road, doing 25 30mph and the back end just slid out, only there was no other traffic i would have had a serious prob.

Stopped at the tyre place on the way home, and changed the rear.

DONT skimp on tyres. They there to keep ya on the road and in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

€116 are the cheapest toyo i can find, compared to €68 for these http://www.eiretyres.com/start.html you will have to get them fitted as well cost around €50 for all 4s

pm. wrote:
    €116 are the cheapest toyo i can find, compared to €68 for these http://www.eiretyres.com/start.html you will have to get them fitted as well cost around €50 for all 4s
    €68 for a 17" tyre doesn't work well in my mind

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I just got Toyo TR1's from Eiretyres.com - I recommend them

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote:
    I just got Toyo TR1's from Eiretyres.com - I recommend them
    great tyre alright....very quiet on the road which is great for long distance driving....I'll be sticking with these in future also

Lex Luthor wrote:
    great tyre alright....very quiet on the road which is great for long distance driving....I'll be sticking with these in future also

Ok hopefully its toyos then! I'm gettin them from the dealer as they're supplying and fitting the alloys for me so saves a lot of hassle. I'll give them a shout see what they say now.

Cheers lads:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

How much did you get quoted including fitting and balancing etc?

Zascar wrote:
    How much did you get quoted including fitting and balancing etc?

Neither there or advance pitstop supply or heard of toyos. Advance pitstop said they won't balance and fit tyres they don't supply and suggested their mid range gt champiro hpz tyres. 144eur each tyre fitted and balanced. Look very nice too.

if you get your tyres from eiretyres, they have a section on their website of fitters that will fit them. Have a look and pick a few close to you

I recently paid €15 per tyre and that included disposal of my old tyre which is not bad

Ah right I missed that part. Now its really only down to who can get them in first as my alloys will be in tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Try Roundabout tyres (Walkinstown roundabout), I got my tyres there fitted and balanced for cheaper than what they were being sold for on Eiretyres.
    Or if your closer to Blanch try Dave McCann tyres in the same industrial estate as powercity.
    Ring both of them to get a price first.

Roudabout tyres :: (01)4508015
    Dave McCann :: (01)8202221

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I've had Advance Pitsop fit the Gt Champiro Tyres to my own car twice, they are a good long lasting tyre from my experience. Although it looks like the prices have gone up a little.

Furp wrote:
    I've had Advance Pitsop fit the Gt Champiro Tyres to my own car twice, they are a good long lasting tyre from my experience. Although it looks like the prices have gone up a little.

Maybe slight difference in sizes? Would you recommend them so?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭muad_dib77

Champiro GTs aren't really worth all that money. I'd class them as a good cheap tyre. They're pretty useless in the wet - and sure they're hard wearing but it doesn't take much for them to let go of the road.

My Previous set of rubbers was Toyo - if your fitter hasn't heard of them he must have been living under a rock for the past couple of years. :)

I currently have Hankook Ventus k104 s on the rear and they're lovely..dear but lovely..

I'd definately recommend the Toyo Rubbers - remember a good bit of rubber can be the difference between life and death under breaking and cornering - even if you don't drive like a loon. ;-)

Oh I've also had a set of Federal Supersteels - terrible, terrible terrible! waste of time.. Same applies to Michelins Energy Range - nasty tyres - no grip at all.

Goodyear NCT something (forget the number I think it 3 or 5) are good tires as well - loads of grip..

Only ever drove 1 car with Nankags on for about 10 minutes - scariest ten minutes of my life.. No grip at all - and they weren't even that worn.. False economy! You'll be spending money on new undercrackers instead if you buy them :-)

Enjoy the new rims btw... I'm going to Dave McCanns tomorrow to try and get one of my 18s refurbed..didn't spot a pot hole in time.. :-/ BANG!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you don't drive an FTO do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

215/45 17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 - €148 fitted, balanced, new valve and including vat.

Discount Tyres
    Rosemount Ind Est
    Blanchardstown

colm_mcm wrote:
    you don't drive an FTO do you?

Ehm - yeah..:) why?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I got 4 Nankangs on my GTI for the last 2 years now 30,000 miles later it's time for a new set of the same. Never had grip problems so I won't be wasting my money on high preformance tyres when cheapers ones are easier on my pocket got them of Eiretyres and for €58 euro each I can't go wrong

VeVeX wrote:
    215/45 17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 - €148 fitted, balanced, new valve and including vat.

Discount Tyres
    Rosemount Ind Est
    Blanchardstown

Now I like the sounds of this!!... I might have to ring them tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

muad_dib77 wrote:
    Ehm - yeah..:) why?

name just rang a bell, remembered it from another forum.

su_dios wrote:
    Now I like the sounds of this!!... I might have to ring them tomorrow:)

Both myself and the GF use DTAS when we need to get stuff sorted..Great bunch of guys up there.
    You'll nodoubt meet the "scouser" - He's a right hoot :-)

Rob is the guy in charge there - always up for a chat.
    They have comfy couches - free tea & coffee - and a telly :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I got 225/45 17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's from Eiretyres.com for €126 each delivered and then paid €11 each to have them fitted and balanced in sandyford.

Redman

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

redman wrote:
    I got 225/45 17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's from Eiretyres.com for €126 each delivered and then paid €11 each to have them fitted and balanced in sandyford.

Redman

Just got the same from them for €123.10. Replacing my Dunlop Sport SP 9090's which are in a **** state!

Ill be interested to see how long it takes to deliver...

• Advertisement

redman wrote:

Redman

Hey Redman - just out of interest who did the fitting for you? Was it by chance a place called Ace tyres?

Advertisement