Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf IV Window Regulators-falling windows

Options
  • 18-03-2007 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can't find a thread here, but have on some UK forums.
    Apparently the plastic window regulators are prone to breaking :mad: and for many UK people they got these fixed outside warranty for free.

Who here has had this experience?
    Did you have to pay to get the metal clips fitted?

Thanks

Redman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ask your local dealer to submit a goodwill request to VW to see if they will cover the repairs. Known issues usually have preset goodwill contributions which depend on age and mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Cheers Crosstownk,

anyone had a personal experience of this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I had both of mine go, 2003 Mk IV. VW will not cover the cost, the warranty in the UK is longer than the one here. They did extend it in the UK but can't remember off hand how long. Its no use to us here in Ireland though. VW wanted over €500 to fix the two of them for me. I ended up buying the window regulator repair kits, these contain both the clips you need to replace and the cable in case that is damaged. The asshole from VW laughed when I said I was fitting in myself, he was trying to push the whole frame instead of just the repair kit. The repair kit is about €60 for each window. I fixed both of them in about 2 hours or so. If you are any way DIY competant and have a little patience then it's not that hard. There is a guide on the vwvortex forums about it. I can dig it out for you laters if you like. Presonally I'd rather do it myself than pay the **** at VW to fix something that is obviously a design flaw.

Thanks found the website with full diagrams for self repair.
    See there are "official" VW kits on Ebay.co.uk for about €120 for both delivered, so if they are only €60 here, will pick them up.
    Presume the parts should be in most VW dealers?
    DId you just change the clips over from the Kits?

Thanks

Redmond

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

I had both mine go in my 2000 Golf Mk IV after about 4 years.

• Advertisement

Got quoted €289 for the parts alone today....so going with the ebay route for official VW parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

That's main dealers for you. Ebay seems to be "The Man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Sounds like they are trying to see you the whole regulator panel when all you need is the clips which come in the repair kit Redman. Don't listen to the BS the dealers will give you. I will check if I still have the invoice for mine at home and I'll get the part number for you. Most VW dealers don't have them in stock but can have them ordered and in stock in a day. It's simple enough to change over the clips but just a bit time consuming to get to them. If you are interested in upgrading your front speakers it's a good time to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I just checked online and you should be able to get the repair kit. There are different kits for left and right doors and also for 2 or 4 door models. I doubt very much the repair kit is anywhere near the price you were quoted - what you were quoted is more likely to be the mechanism itself.

Thanks to all of you , I have two official UK kits on their way from the UK for €120 incl shipping!

• Advertisement
Advertisement