Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help! Traffic Corps Questions...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

A few questions.

What specific law provides that you cannot drive a commercial vehicle for social domestic and pleasure (SD&P) purposes ?

There is a good chance that the insurance certificate on the vehicle covers SD&P use. Did the Garda read the insurance certificate when he stopped you OP ?

Do Gardai know how to read an insurance certificate properly ?

Why don't gardai prosecute more people for driving unaccompanied whilst driving on a first provisional ?

I thought that were was a Super' in the West of Ireland who also tried to prosecute the parents of young drivers operating on provisional licences whilst unaccompanied. Personally, I think he is dead right but is this actually happening ?

When can a Garda seize a vehicle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

look, the guard knew you were a 17 year old without a full licence whats the highest number of road accident victims ages??

he could have stopped you driving as you didnt have a fully qualified driver with you but he didnt!!he just sent you home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

NUTLEY BOY wrote:
    A few questions.

What specific law provides that you cannot drive a commercial vehicle for social domestic and pleasure (SD&P) purposes ?

None, the fact that it is taxed commercially makes it a revenue issue, therefore driving it for non commercial purposes is a similar offence to driving it untaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

CLADA wrote:
    None, the fact that it is taxed commercially makes it a revenue issue, therefore driving it for non commercial purposes is a similar offence to driving it untaxed.

Do you have any reference to that. I am not aware of anything that says you cannot drive a commercial for social/domestic purposes once its insured accordingly. Once it fulfils the requiremnets of a commercial vehicle you can only tax it commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Seinas wrote:
    I When I noticed it was the Traffic Corps i realised i might have a spot of trouble....................

Im all confused about it, so id like some help

What are you confused about ? You broke the law, You knew you were breaking the law at the time ! I would have taken it off you and made you walk home .............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

dil999 wrote:
    Do you have any reference to that. I am not aware of anything that says you cannot drive a commercial for social/domestic purposes once its insured accordingly. Once it fulfils the requiremnets of a commercial vehicle you can only tax it commercially.

I never mentioned the insurance issue, if your vehicle is commercial but is insured for S,D & P purposes as well, then you can drive whenever you want. But if it is taxed commercially and you drive it for pleasure purposes then you are commiting a revenue offence. As I said in previous post, this is similar to driving an untaxed vehicle regardless of your insurance cover.

But if it is taxed commercially and you drive it for pleasure purposes then you are commiting a revenue offence.

My question is: what are you basing that statement on. I have never heard that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 180jos180

ill tell ye wat he was doin notin only tormenin him bcos he was young.dey have done it to me several times in dat town ive been beaten by garda for no reason and harassed for no reason in broad daylight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

NUTLEY BOY wrote:

There is a good chance that the insurance certificate on the vehicle covers SD&P use. Did the Garda read the insurance certificate when he stopped you OP ?

I keep a copy of the insurance cert with me and he never asked for it. I think it may be covered for SD&P use, im not too sure. So that means that i ament breaking the law, just commiting a revenue offence?

timmywex wrote:
    look, the guard knew you were a 17 year old without a full licence whats the highest number of road accident victims ages??

thats just stereotyping, im not a boy racer, i dont speed.....the on board computer could tell him I dont speed...

there is a section titled something like "limitations as to use" its should say Use for social domestic amd pleasure puposes.

The problem is if you are driving on a 1st prov licence then you must have a fully licenced driver accompany you. Otherwise you are not licenced to drive and are actually breaking the law. That being said I don't know anyone who has not driven alone on a first or 3rd provisional (myself excluded obviously ;)

I am fairly sure you are okay with revenue to drive a commercial viehicle for pleasure purpose as long as you are insured. I know that if you are doing tax return and you use the same vehicle for domestic and business then you claim 85% of you motor costs for business and the other 15% are regarded as social/domestic, So I doubt its a revenue offence to drive a commercially taxed vehicle socially. I could be wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

180jos180 wrote:
    ill tell ye wat he was doin notin only tormenin him bcos he was young.dey have done it to me several times in dat town ive been beaten by garda for no reason and harassed for no reason in broad daylight
    I would be tempted to beat you for typing like that. Bring back the cat I say! :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Firstly, get your full licence asap.
    Secondly, we all have off days. He might have just been at a large accident. He could have just taken ****e from another motorist.

esel wrote:
    I would be tempted to beat you for typing like that. Bring back the cat I say! :rolleyes:

Take it easy. He may be typographically challenged :)

Seinas wrote:
    the on board computer could tell him I dont speed...

How could it do that ? Does it keep max speed recorded or average speed on this journey ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    One point here if I may. This story once again highlights the attitude problem many of the Gardai (traffic corps or otherwise) seem to have with the general public. Regardless of the circumstances, there is absolutely no cause nor justification for a Garda to be rude, "smart", or generally throwing their weight about just because they have a badge.

Someone else mentioned on the other thread that it's almost as if the public is an inconvenience to them, and stories like this merely reinforce that.

I'll say it again, the need to "standardise" the enforcement of the law (thus doing away with the "it depends who you get on the day" phenomenon) starts with a clean sweep of the Gardai, from the rank and file officers to the top level Garda Comissioner.

Until then we'll continue to have this keystone cops brigade that passes for a police force in this country! :(

(For balance: no, I realise that not all Gardai behave in this manner or are incompetent, but there's enough of them that are in my opinion that it's high time action was taken to weed them out).

Couldn't agree more. There's attitude problem with a lot of Gardai.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im not sure why the OP think they were treated unfairly.
    The vehicle was a commercial and therefore got reduced VRT and road tax. I presume the company is also reclaiming the VAT on the diesel.
    The garda gave you a warning - consider yourself lucky that you weren't given some form of punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dgosul

You shouldn't be allowed on the road in the first place with a provisional licence,laws are too relaxed here. Full licence or take the bus. Posing around town in Daddies 07.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

georgie59 wrote:
    Forgot to say that he has to have new number plates on tomorrow night so don't know if he is supposed to break into a motor factor's to get new plates on a bank holiday or wave a magic wand His aren't that fancy plain letter on white background with 'Heny made this when he had balls' in small writing under neath they are perfectly legible and are not ones that canot be photographed when speeding

Why doesnt he use the ones that came on the car before they were changed for illegal ones?
    180jos180 wrote:

Obvioulsy not hard enough.

As far as commercial policies go, do you not have to have a full licence for a commercial policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

georgie59 wrote:
    Embellsihments on cars are often only an expression of their individuality, you wear clothes the same as everyone else as I said the plates were perfectly legible lettering not Itallic or any thing this state is becoming more like a dictatorship when you are not allowed to expresse your own indvidualisum. Maybe we should introduce a national uniform and all drive skodas
    So how about embellishing you driving licence or passport?
    180jos180 wrote:
    What does that mean?

dgosul wrote:
    Posing around town in Daddies 07.

its mine, not his

• Advertisement

me wrote:
    What are you confused about ? You broke the law, You knew you were breaking the law at the time ! I would have taken it off you and made you walk home .............

Looks like that was not called for, according to the little PM i got from OP, ohhhhh ...... and im jealous he drives a 07 "jeep"........... :rolleyes:

oleras wrote:
    Looks like that was not called for, according to the little PM i got from OP, ohhhhh ...... and im jealous he drives a 07 "jeep"........... :rolleyes:

I sent you a PM to tell you to stop being at me, i came on this for advice, not to be attacked

oleras wrote:

sucks3vu7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Here's some advice then - take that business card out of your licence. It's one of the twattiest things I've heard recently, and I can see it being like a red rag to a bull. But you thought it would impress a Garda.

Btw, how much did Daddy pay for your insurance?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

and for the jeep, another 1 of these unworking 17 year old spoilt kids... no 17 year old could buy that on their own....

Seinas wrote:
    I sent you a PM to tell you to stop being at me, i came on this for advice, not to be attacked

If you think that was an attack report me ! and if you still think it is an attack you have a lot of growing up to do, but then again, you still are a child are you not ?

as OP i request that this thread is locked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

seinas, u didn't come on for advice you came on to brag, now you can't handle the consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dgosul

Children like this should only be allowed drive on a full licence vehicles under 1000cc

• Advertisement

Seinas wrote:
    as OP i request that this thread is locked

sniff, sniff..............daddy, they are all at me !!!!

As a poster i request this thread be kept open, as a warning to future muppets :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement