Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home Made Speed Blockers?

Options
  • 18-03-2007 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to block speed gun checks to ones car (without buying an illegal speed kit etc)

Reason I ask is out of curiosity, I know nothing on the subject myself but someone told me that something to do with placing a CD around a certain area of the dashboard can block it? lol...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Myth.
    There are certain parking sensors which interfere, but be prepared for an onslaught of " Grow Up" and " Slow Down" replies. Not without good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

haha yeah, apparently the cd is supposed to reflect the speed gun rays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Seinas wrote:
    haha yeah, apparently the cd is supposed to reflect the speed gun rays

all i wanted to know... if the person who said this was having a laugh or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a complete fallacy. There's nothing you can make which will "reflect" a speed gun. It doesn't work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coin

They tested every imaginable,mythical devise on a Mythbusters episode. None worked I'm afraid!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Home made I'm not so sure. With radar speed guns you could theoretically disrupt the speed gun, either actively by jamming the radar signal by broadcasting a stronger one generated by your car on the same wavelength.

You could do it passively if you a lot of time on your hands and loads of money and were clearly mad. If you could get your hands on the ferrous paint used on stealth planes(eBay may be worth a look here:D ). Paint the car with that. Then you would have to block all intakes on the front of the car with a wire grid with holes smaller than the radar frequency. You would need a rear engined car straight away. It would also help if the car was built with a non ferrous structure like fibre glass. The glass in the windscreen would also need a mesh in it too(similar to the heated demister mesh). That might work.

Laser? Nope boned I would suspect. Then again, if you covered your car in tiny mirrors like an automotive disco glitterball, you may have some success.

Answers on a postcard please. They vet all my post in the looney bin so no swear words.

Or you could slow down. seem cheaper.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I laugh out lound when I see idiots with CDs hanging off their mirror thinking it actually does anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No seriously, try one of these. http://www.stunkworks.com/gallery/f-117a/f117-4.gif

Chop of the wings. Pimp up the wheels with some chrome 20 inch rims, a handling kit and a decent backbox and you would be sorted. Heavy on juice though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you've got it all wrong.....its not a CD that works, its a DVD and it has to be a region 1, somthing about the encryption in Region 1 DVD's that can confuse the hell out of radar detectors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Lex Luthor wrote:
    you've got it all wrong.....its not a CD that works, its a DVD and it has to be a region 1, somthing about the encryption in Region 1 DVD's that can confuse the hell out of radar detectors

LMFAO.............:D

As stated above all types of stuff was tried on Mythbusters and none of them worked.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

This really isn't funny, I mean if I had intended this to be a serious question I wouldnt have ended it with 'lol'

where does one put the magic CD anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

put the magic cd near your tax and insurance disc,i tryed this and great success with it,but i have since changed to a magic mirror i bought and this is flawless true perfection or should it be relection;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

md99 wrote:
    This really isn't funny, I mean if I had intended this to be a serious question I wouldnt have ended it with 'lol'

where does one put the magic CD anyway?

You do realise that a CD will probably help to reflect the laser back at the Gard, right? That's what CD's do, reflect. And even if they didn't, the gard would have to be pointing the laser directly at the CD, not the bumper, not the bonnet, only the CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

This only works with Abba CDs. :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Apart from the illegalities of trying to block a garda from doing their job, dependance on devices (electronic or otherewise) to protect you whilst speeding is asking to be caught as they will not always work.
    Secondly, there are several different types of speed detection equipment which catch you from the front or the behind. Having your CD collection dangling from your rear view mirror won't stop either of these - all it will do will play the garda a random track when he is clocking you!

edit: it will only play a track if the garda is pointing a laser gun at you. Radar guns don't play tracks unfortunatley.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

damn, i wish i didnt have all my songs on an ipod!! I suppose hanging an ipod from the mirror wont work either then?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

antodeco wrote:
    damn, i wish i didnt have all my songs on an ipod!! I suppose hanging an ipod from the mirror wont work either then?! :D

Only if its the 2nd gen 20gb model ;)

KTRIC wrote:
    Only if its the 2nd gen 20gb model ;)

Nope its a nano. Mirrored back = greater reflection! I think I might search on itunes for speed blocker...

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

I rely on the good ole " Tin Foil Hat " hasn't failed me yet, comes in a variety of styles too :)

About the only time I saw them fail was at a hillclimb, I asked them why??? they said the cars were moving to fast (thru corners, etc) and could not get a lock..:D

lol! This thread has really gone on a tangent now!! In fairness though, those tinfoil hats have many other uses!! The list is never-ending!

• Advertisement

md99 wrote:
    Is it possible to block speed gun checks to ones car (without buying an illegal speed kit etc)

Yes! it's easy...

Just make sure there is an artic between your car & the speed trap...then the radar wont hit it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the cd doesnt work, as pointed out, it reflects the radar, exactly what the guarda wants.

and hes more likely to point his gun at your car, rather than at a cd.

besides, its illegal, so i wouldnt try any of these zany ideas anyway. if you are below the speed limit, im sure you wont have any problems.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

time to close this now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement