Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My excellent poetry essay (well sentence) for paper II

Options
  • 18-03-2007 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I hate poetry and hence dont study it. this is what i wrote in my mock for the sylvia plath question -

This statement reflects what i believe, it is not a pleasant thought, that of her killing herself by means of gas with her children asleep upstairs, which comes to mind during her depressing poems, especially 'child' which was written only two weeks before she turned on the oven.

im still hopefull that i passed, ive heard its very hard to fail english...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I can sense a big fat zero coming in for that answer. If you wrote a tonne of waffle than the examiner would have an excuse to offer you at least some marks but trying to give you marks for that would be akin to getting blood from a stone!

Contrary to what you may have heard, people do fail English (2% scored an E or less in HL English in 2006)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

You wrote one sentence ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

ROFL! Oh man, you are so screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

God.. If you really want to at least pass why not attempt an essay? If you knew she gassed herself, wrote a poem called "Child" and was depressed I'd imagine you could have bluffed your way to a pass in that section alone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

do you care about your LC at all? I don't think the corrector will be interested in your excuses about not liking poetry... Many don't, but they put up with it for points' sake.

I don't see how someone willing to write just a sentence for poetry would still be concerned about passing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Tell me your joking..

Your best bet is to learn off a few questions for this section and try drag it into whatever question your asked (within reason). At least then the marker has something on which he can award marks. There isn't too much he can do with an answer you gave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

I dunno, it shows good understanding of the context in which the poem was written, a level of personal response, and an appraisal of the intended effect on the reader. Obviously it's no A1, not even a B3, but i'd give that more marks than "I loooooooove sylvia plaths poetry. for the next 3 pages i am going to say what happens in the poems...."

C2

Tomlowe wrote:
    I dunno, it shows good understanding of the context in which the poem was written, a level of personal response, and an appraisal of the intended effect on the reader. Obviously it's no A1, not even a B3, but i'd give that more marks than "I loooooooove sylvia plaths poetry. for the next 3 pages i am going to say what happens in the poems...."

C2

Surely an honour can't be awarded to "This statement reflects what i believe, it is not a pleasant thought, that of her killing herself by means of gas with her children asleep upstairs, which comes to mind during her depressing poems, especially 'child' which was written only two weeks before she turned on the oven." The thing that will annoy the examiner the most is that the OP sounds like he has some potential... A corrector is more annoyed by misused potential than an honest attempt from someone with very little..

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

md99 wrote:
    do you care about your LC at all? I don't think the corrector will be interested in your excuses about not liking poetry... Many don't, but they put up with it for points' sake.

I don't see how someone willing to write just a sentence for poetry would still be concerned about passing!

of course i care about passing, all i need is a D3 and ill be happy (its not one of my 6). anyway my macbeth essay was pretty good but i cant say very much for my comparitive either

Tomlowe wrote:

C2

thank you tom, didnt realise that was you for a minute there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

C2

For a split second I thought you were being serious...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

OMG ur such a rebel like.

That isn't even a very well structured sentence...

You'll get a zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

If u fail english do you fail th LC? or is that just maths...

Nope, failing English does indeed mean you fail your LC.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    OMG ur such a rebel like.

That isn't even a very well structured sentence...

You'll get a zero.

ok... yeah im a real rebel.

definatley wont get a zero in that, i wont get very much but it wont be a zero. anyway i did fine in paper I and some of paper II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

theliam wrote:

definatley wont get a zero in that, i wont get very much but it wont be a zero. anyway i did fine in paper I and some of paper II

Examiners hate smart-arses. Never mind your result. Count yourself lucky if the corrector doesn't hunt you down and beat the living sh*t out of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 *lil fairy*

by reading the sentence u wrote.......u cud of got such a good answer out of it! i mean u no bout her.......y waste a whole line of paper on her gasing herself.........thats what makes her interestin in my opinion! sylvia was genius!

u'l av pissed d examiner off real bad too! u shud of waffled on! :rolleyes:

nd last word! : Sylvia is klass cos she was depressed so u can babble so much bout how depressin her poetry is! nd wat it al means underneath it al!

agree r disagree theliam!?

lil fairy, how long does it take you to type like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

by reading the sentence u wrote.......u cud of got such a good answer out of it! i mean u no bout her.......y waste a whole line of paper on her gasing herself.........thats what makes her interestin in my opinion! sylvia was genius!

u'l av pissed d examiner off real bad too! u shud of waffled on! :rolleyes:

nd last word! : Sylvia is klass cos she was depressed so u can babble so much bout how depressin her poetry is! nd wat it al means underneath it al!

agree r disagree theliam!?
    Do you write like that?

theliam wrote:

I dunno mate, I reckon you're in for a big fat round red mark myself....

• Advertisement

He'll get a few marks I'd say. Less than 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Nope, failing English does indeed mean you fail your LC.

No I disagree, Failing a particular subject does not mean you fail your LC.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Naikon wrote:
    No I disagree, Failing a particular subject does not mean you fail your LC.

You need to pass English, Irish and maths. Or else. As regards theliam's answer, you'll be very lucky indeed to get any marks for that. Anything less than two and a half pages struggles to make a B3 for most correctors.

Well, for third level matriculation purposes I suppose, but you cant really "fail" the LC.
    The sheet is just a statement of results.
    A bare minimum "pass" LC is a pass in any 5 subjects.

You don't need irish for Trinity do you?

I think so I am afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

theliam wrote:
    of course i care about passing, all i need is a D3 and ill be happy (its not one of my 6). anyway my macbeth essay was pretty good but i cant say very much for my comparitive either
    Why, what'd ya write there?

"Yes, there is four different styles of kingship in Macbeth. Duncan was a goodie, but a bit rubbish at figuring out who's who. Edward was meant to be some sort of a saintly bloke. Malcolm sounded good. Macbeth was a complete bastard though!"

Naikon wrote:
    I think so I am afraid.

Requirements for TCD:

1. A pass in English
    2. A pass in Maths and a pass in a language other than English
    3. A pass in 3 other subjects
    4. 6 subjects must be presented in all and atleast 3 must be honours grade C or higher

LCVP is accepted for scoring purposes only.

Naikon wrote:
    Well, for third level matriculation purposes I suppose, but you cant really "fail" the LC.
    The sheet is just a statement of results.
    A bare minimum "pass" LC is a pass in any 5 subjects.
    There's no definition of passing or failing the LC, but find a college that doesn't require a pass in English....

And no, you don't need Irish for Trinity, although it works both ways - for me I don't need French, so I don't have to waste my time with it :D (Although I'll end up with a B or C anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

An Fhile wrote:
    Anything less than two and a half pages struggles to make a B3 for most correctors.
    umm, no. I did 2 pages, and got 38/50, comfortably. Quality>Quantity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement