Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My excellent poetry essay (well sentence) for paper II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

i wholeheartedly agree with everybody above, your english is atrocious!!! simply and utterly hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Steve01 wrote:
    Examiners hate smart-arses. Never mind your result. Count yourself lucky if the corrector doesn't hunt you down and beat the living sh*t out of you.

Why I can't imagine any fate worse than having to correct English papers. The most boring subject with the most illusive reasons for its existence. It would be like water in the desert. Then again I have nothing but contempt for the subject anyway so... BTW the mocks do not count. Also the leaving cert is very poor measure of ones intellectual skills and more a measure of maturity and organisational skill.

Bottom line I'm just ranting cause I feel cheated out of my precious time after having to prove to people I'm smart enough to go to college when they themselves aren't smart enough to realise that cd's produce better quality sound then tapes.
    Retards.

ARRRAGARAGGHHH!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

All the aural exams are supplied on CD and Tape. Tapes are only used when a CD player isn't available.

All the aural exams are supplied on CD and Tape. Tapes are only used when a CD player isn't available.

I think you missed the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I think I did too. Care to explain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I get you man, and completely agree with you!! I believe the structure of the leaving cert is flawed. It shouldn't be based on the amount you can learn off, or on how well you can do some stupid questions. It can hide your intelluctual skills, meaning that those who have the brains, but do not bother their arse studying (learning stuff off), may not make it to college.

Brains alone won't get you anywhere. The whole point of the LC is to seperate people based on their ability to work hard. It's not an IQ test.

Although there are Maths, Applied Maths and to a certain extent Physics for those of us who are naturally smart and don't like just learning stuff off.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Brains alone won't get you anywhere. The whole point of the LC is to seperate people based on their ability to work hard. It's not an IQ test.

Although there are Maths, Applied Maths and to a certain extent Physics for those of us who are naturally smart and don't like just learning stuff off.

I think you're getting closer to my point.

Ok....

It was an odd example.

And you're just lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

LOL:D

I have to admit though, the English Exam is really hit and miss, I got a
    C1 in Higher(mock result though:() by doing absolutely no study for the
    subject whereas people who "loved" the subject fared worse.
    they certainly deserve to do better than me in June:)

Its a joke, I mean the English exam is so subjective, and a more "liberal" examiner is almost always going to ensure a higher result.
    Take Maths for example, unlike the shoddy mock correctors, I am surprised at how generous correctors have to be by giving attempt marks on a regular basis to help "top up" the weaker people.
    Not like the mocks where attempts weren't given in most cases and a worked out wrong answer which resulted in either 2 or 0 marks:rolleyes:

Whereas in English, I wouldn't be surprised if I dropped 5% , as even though the teacher told me I deserved the mark.....I have my doubts:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I'm not so sure, I feel some parts of the english course are really good. The comprehension and to a certain extent the three critical essays really do train students in the proper formation and articulation of ideas (depending on how much of the work is their own). I really do wish people would stop complaining about the LC though. Sure it's not perfect, but unless you have something better to suggest, why bother complaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I don't need French, so I don't have to waste my time with it :D (Although I'll end up with a B or C anyway)

is there some sort of clause which obliges you to say that in nearly all of your posts? :rolleyes:

Hmm... I do mention it a bit too often, but then again its always in response to a question involving it, for instance, someone in this thread asked a question in relation to languages needed for Trinity, another thread I mentioned it in was about ignoring a subject.

Then again, everyone mentions the things that make thier approach to the LC unique quite frequently. Naikon frequently says he thinks History and English are "a joke", Jakkass frequently remarks on how wonderful a subject Religion is, many posters declare their hate for Physics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Heh. Sorry; excuse the early morning narkiness of a hungover French student :o

[PHP]I have to admit though, the English Exam is really hit and miss, I got a
    C1 in Higher(mock result though) by doing absolutely no study for the
    they certainly deserve to do better than me in June[/PHP]

I agree, well i LOVE the subject or thought i did! and have usually done well, but only ended up with a fat C1 in the mock!!:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

shazzyshaz wrote:
    [PHP]I have to admit though, the English Exam is really hit and miss, I got a
    C1 in Higher(mock result though) by doing absolutely no study for the
    they certainly deserve to do better than me in June[/PHP]

I agree, well i LOVE the subject or thought i did! and have usually done well, but only ended up with a fat C1 in the mock!!:(:(

ignore the mocks... English mocks can be absolutely anything they want to be... Mock results always vary hugely in the way they're corrected from class to class, all depends on the corrector... Plenty of A students got high Cs in our class, likewise with Bs...

ignore the mocks... English mocks can be absolutely anything they want to be... Mock results always vary hugely in the way they're corrected from class to class, all depends on the corrector... Plenty of A students got high Cs in our class, likewise with Bs...

hmmmm cheers MD...gave me a lil boost of confidence!

I would suggest that everyone who is taking the leaving should stop using txt-speak. Trust me. It's just idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

i told you all i wouldnt get a 0, i got 3/50. unfortunatley paper I was nt too good either so i got 35 overall. another 5% in 6 weeks shouldnt be too much of a struggle

ROFL this is the funniest post EVER!! nuff said. gluck to you and ur exam!! ure screwed!

• Advertisement

I would suggest that everyone who is taking the leaving should stop using txt-speak. Trust me. It's just idiotic.

and so are you.

shazzyshaz wrote:
    ROFL this is the funniest post EVER!! nuff said. gluck to you and ur exam!! ure screwed!

im not screwed, i just didnt give a sh** for my mocks

theliam wrote:
    im not screwed, i just didnt give a sh** for my mocks

I dunno man, you seem pretty f**kin screwed to me

You hate my beloved Sylvia's poetry, so, uhhh... How about answering on a different poet?

I recommend you drop to Pass, it's not ideal but it's the best we can do as there's no Foundation Level English....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I wouldn't exactly boast to us all that you didn't get 0. If you gave a half assed answer at all, you might've passed the mocks.

If you do that in June, you're an absolute idiot.

I wouldn't exactly boast to us all that you didn't get 0. If you gave a half assed answer at all, you might've passed the mocks.

If you do that in June, you're an absolute idiot.

whats wrong with all you peolple? do you really fu**ing thick id do that in the actual leaving, i know i could have got a page or two out of it but it didnt matter or that i could have passed if it really ment that much to me. stop preaching and lighten up a bit, if i had known that id get such a **** ass response id never have posted it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

theliam wrote:
    whats wrong with all you peolple? do you really fu**ing thick id do that in the actual leaving, i know i could have got a page or two out of it but it didnt matter or that i could have passed if it really ment that much to me. stop preaching and lighten up a bit, if i had known that id get such a **** ass response id never have posted it
    Out of curiosity, how many marks did you get on average for grammar and spelling in your essays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

theliam wrote:

What did you expect?

"Wow man, you're a legend!" except with bad grammar of course ;) haha

theliam wrote:

'**** ass response'

you've got a very bright future ahead of you son.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

theliam wrote:

Well, you said before that you do care about passing. Surely it would've been worth it to write a few sentences more just so you could pass the mock. They may not be the most important exams, but I don't see why you'd deliberately fail yourself, just because you hate poetry.
    And really, what do you expect with a post like that? You're going to get honest responses, whether you think they're "**** ass" responses or not. Just because you think what you did was acceptable doesn't mean other people will.

• Advertisement

md99 wrote:
    '**** ass response'

you've got a very bright future ahead of you son.....

what do you mean by that? i plan on doing engineering or computer science (not quite sure yet). whatever happens im sure ill be quite successful, anyway ive always got father's business to fall back on.

someones gotta inherit it anyway. (im just being bitchy on purpose now)

i wasnt expecting people to call me a legend or the like... i was simply providing a bit of comedy, most of my friends seemed to find it quite funny..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement