Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Z3 or TT

Options
  • 18-03-2007 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi

I am looking to buy a new car and i'm torn between two a BMW Z3 or Audi TT.

My budget is é20,000. I wanted a convertable sports car before i have kids and no longer have the choice.

I suppose i'm asking which is the better car and how expensive it is to maintain each if i needed repairs. Also what ur preference is?

Also i'd be trading in a well looked after Golf 1.4 Yr 2000. Theres 70k on the clock anyone know what trade in value i'd get for this?

cheers

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Why have you narrowed the choice to those two underperforming, overweight tubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

We had a TT at the garage recently, and it broke my heart to sell it. Yes, I felt like I should have been working in Peter Marks driving it, but it was the 225 Bhp quattro cabrio, and it was so much fun to drive. I'd recommend both, but caveat emptor, make sure the roofs on both are 100%, no patched up holes, no leaks, no mildew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭soupie

no reason other than they where both cars i liked. i'm not a car man at all wouldnt know much about performance etc. just fancied something different. had decided to get a z3 and a couple of people mentioned the TT which i thought looked class.

just looking to get something sporty and flashy to do for a couple of years, always wanted a convertable hence why i liked these.

yeah i went to view a TT and felt like just taking it there and then, have had all the hairdresser jibes from the lads but it doesnt bother at all. Women like hairdressers :)

here is the one i like a lot

http://cars.rte.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=628708

soupie wrote:
    Women like hairdressers :)

That's got to be the best retort ever. Can I use it? :D

• Advertisement

How about one of these?:

Toyota MR2
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=593109

Honda S2000
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=631927

Lotus Elise
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=535927

Vauxhall VX220/Opel Speedster
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=573366

All are better performing cars (and better looking, to my mind) than the Z3 or the TT. And they are a lot less common, too.

The S2000 would be my pick of that lot. A great engine, and oodles of fun to drive.

Would agree that Honda is class never heard of or seen one. Any ideas what i'd get roughly on the trade in??? never traded before always bought and sold private. Cheers for the idea's exactly what i needed

Those early s2000 were supposed to be very skittish at the limit.

Top quality car though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

OP get a honda S2000, this is a quality car that would leave a z3 for dust, and prob a TT also (not sure about the 230version, close call).
    if you want a TT you would have to get one in the UK, i have seen s2000s here, a 05 one in cork in the wilton, owned by a chinese resturant dude, big ass tail pipes in the back and one mean looking ride.......!

• Advertisement

The s2000 is for you if you don't mind changing gears like a lunatic to stay in the powerband.
    But an engine that revs past 8000 *drool*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Most importantly, the S2000 should be absolutely bullet proof, don't know if the same can be said 'bout the TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The "pods" in the TTs are infamous for failing... there was a item on BBC's Watchdog about them. Audi still haven't admitted there's a manufacturing/design fault. On top of that there's the potentially dubious looks.

The Z3 is considered by many to be the worst car that BMW ever made (the Z4 by and large corrected that tho).

The S2000 is actually a true sports car, as well as looking pretty good and having the usual Honda no fuss reliability. And it's not near as common as the TT or Z3. In fact it's pretty rare in Ireland. For me it's the no-brainer...

237bhp, 9000rpm redline, close ratio, short shift gearbox... drool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You'd have too test them both and see which you liked. I don't like the Z3 at all. The TT is nice enough. I'd choose a S2000 over both aswell. Though I've read it has its own gremlins too. You'd need to have a heavy right foot to get the performance out of it though.

cheers for the post.

this is the sort of info i was after I'll take a good look at the honda doesnt seem to be a lot of them on the Market. Will defo go and test run the few that are.

Sorry to ask again but does anyone have a ball park figure for what i could get on the golf? its a basic model in excellent condition

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

TBH Id go for the elise or S2K!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There is an S2000 for sale on adverts.ie
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=19308&cat=2

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

soupie wrote:
    have had all the hairdresser jibes from the lads but it doesnt bother at all. Women like hairdressers :)

LOL - I like your attitude
    soupie wrote:
    i'm not a car man at all wouldnt know much about performance etc. just fancied something different

So you're not very likely to appreciate the racing pedigree of the Honda then. How about a Mercedes SLK? A 230 Kompressor in particular is what I'd be thinking of

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your not after big performance then maybe the Mazda MX-5 or Toyota MR2 would suit you needs?

bazz26 wrote:
    If your not after big performance then maybe the Mazda MX-5 or Toyota MR2 would suit you needs?

Both of which are performance cars in all but the narrowest sense of 'performance', where all that counts is power (and not even power to weight).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

I reckon mr2/mx5 will be the best pick. They are both light and nippy - They are also a good introduction to rear wheel drive dynamics and affordable, and most importantly a better drive than either the TT or Z3

I drive the S2000 - I like it but it is a little less refined than the others. 4000+rpm while cruising on the motorway means that you will get a little tired doing long distances, but once the sun is out...

However a blat down the country lanes heeling and toeing while keeping the revs between 6-9k is a unique experience that most other cars won't match.

Be aware you would be buying a 99 or 00 model S2000, these are fine to drive, don't worry about others comments about skitishness. However they are 240hp RWD motors. You need to respect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

if your not a performance man i go with the cheaper option then the tt or the z3 or the s2000 and get the mr2 or mx5. or if they ar not sporty enough a mazda rx7? from the first 3 id go with the honda then the tt. always hated
    z3's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

For the same reasons as the OP, I bought a two seater a few weeks back.

After driving pretty everything mentioned here over the past few months I stumped up for a Z3, as I felt the ride was better than all with the exception of the Honda for most of the driving I do. I tried to get an S2000, but couldn't get to any within my budget before they sold (I went to the UK). I got a mint Z3 'individual' in the end, and absolutely love it. I wasn't that bothered about outright performance and wanted a smaller engined car than I had previously, so it ticked all the boxes. People think they are more common than they are (I did), but I haven't noticed that many on the roads which is good as well.

The Z3 isn't the quickest but it's enough fun for me. I really liked the Elise as well but felt it would be too much effort as an everyday car. Given the choice again I probably wouldn't change my mind, but may put more effort into finding a Honda. As it was I needed a car and couldn't wait for an S2000 to come up in my budget. Here's my thoughts on what I drove:

Mr2 - loved it, but someone at work bought one. Also was concerned about luggage space.
    S2000 - Cracking car, likes revs, but great all rounder
    TT - The ride made me feel sick:confused: My mate has one and I've driven it quite a bit and always feel rough getting out of it. Also I think they are very inert
    MX5 - wanted a new shape one, went off the previous gen. as soon as I drove the new one, but still a very good car I think.
    Elise - Amazing, if I had another car.
    MGTF 160 - Same ride issue as the Audi for me. Concerned about reliability/build/resale

PS. If you get a front engine/rwd car, get a front strut brace :D

Gatster wrote:
    If you get a front engine/rwd car, get a front strut brace :D

That advice is just as valid for a mid-engined, rwd car. Made a huge difference to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Both of which are performance cars in all but the narrowest sense of 'performance', where all that counts is power (and not even power to weight).

The older style Mr2 turbos are pretty quick, and light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I was set on an Alfa Spider for a while, and went to see a couple here and in the UK. The ones I saw here had lots of 'niggles' which I knew would annoy me over time, but they are nice to drive. Also none that were described as 'mint' were in that condition in reality. I was going to put aside €1k after I'd bought the Alfa to pay for new bushes/exhaust/getting things sorted.
    If you are going to get a convertible, I do think it's best to get one that was designed as a convertible, as opposed to a coupe minus the roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

soupie wrote:

Sorry to ask again but does anyone have a ball park figure for what i could get on the golf? its a basic model in excellent condition

About €7,432

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

The 225TT coupe would be a good option you have back seats, a hatch back similar to your golf and a decent looking car with the right set of wheels.

I found the S2000 quite low down which is great for racing around the place but for day to day driving it can be back breaking. The seats were not that adjustable on the 2002 car I had.

You’d prob get the best trade in price on your golf with the TT as its virtually the same car with a skirt on :)

For 20K you may even get an SLK which is streets ahead of the dull and jittery Z3..

Whichever car you choose you have to be ready to compromise on comfort/space/running costs etc

If I were looking for a sports coupe cabrio with 20K Id consider the BMW 323ci cabrio or early 320Ci coupe. The 3 series cabrio holds its valve well and is not a bad drive compared to most other convertibles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Why not go old school - something like this..?
    Save a fair few quid in tax & insurance too.

Advertisement