Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Z3 or TT

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My choice would be:

http://tinyurl.com/2ubv4m

Far better than the Z3. Only other real contenders in the small roadster market are the MR2 and S2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

SLK which is streets ahead of the dull and jittery Z3..
    What? Jittery as opposed to what, an early S2000 or the on/off power of a TT? Certainly not dull either, depends how you drive it...:rolleyes:

Also, forget about the back seats in the TT, unless you are planning on ferrying midgets around, but useful enough for throwing stuff onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

i agree, as the owner of a TT, the back seats in the coupe are useless, I've been able to carry around my nephews (4 and 6) no bother, but I would'nt even try and get an adult in there.
    the roadster is a lovely 2 seater though.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

i agree, as the owner of a TT, the back seats in the coupe are useless, I've been able to carry around my nephews (4 and 6) no bother, but I would'nt even try and get an adult in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,769 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

can be got at a nice price second hand too - would be tempted myself, if i didn't have my heart set on a far less cool car that i can't afford anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I dunno if you've bought yet but here's my two cents ....

I drove both of these in the last year before buying my 320 conv.

The Z3 is awfull, full stop. I can see no reason to buy one what so ever. The inside is cheap and tacky, theres scuttle shake on even the smoothest of roads and the hood is like a rag - very noisey. Even the 2.2 6 cylinder engine could not overcome the shortcomings of this car in my opinion. ( I think the Z3 was built in the US for the US therefore crappy rear axel setup and poor build quality) - My '97 MX5 was quieter, had way less scuttle shake and felt alot more like a sports car.

The TT was in a different league. Superbly built and still felt very fresh ( 02 model I drove )like all Audi's I think.
    Unfortuneately the ride is poor (short wheelbase) and the controls feel wooden, but if your not a real push on driver you'll not think this is too big a problem. ( The 225bhp really moves though)

MX5 is probably best option of the others if you want no fuss open driving IMO - best selling sports car of all time - someones got to be right!
    Also 3 Series conv are becomeing more affordable and dynamically very capable - they also give you the option of back seats ( occasional only really )
    I love the Alfa's and every time I go to change always look at them then end up chickening out ( some experience )

Best of luck with whichever you buy, and welcome to the topless club - (buy a hat if it's anything like last summer you'll get scalded :) )

The Z3 is awfull, full stop. I can see no reason to buy one what so ever. The inside is cheap and tacky, theres scuttle shake on even the smoothest of roads and the hood is like a rag - very noisey. Even the 2.2 6 cylinder engine could not overcome the shortcomings of this car in my opinion. ( I think the Z3 was built in the US for the US therefore crappy rear axel setup and poor build quality) - My '97 MX5 was quieter, had way less scuttle shake and felt alot more like a sports car.
    Maybe you drove a bad one, the fact they are built in the US hasn't been the problem it's made out to be. I drove all of them (1.8-3.0) apart from the M and didn't notice any more scuttle shake than in any of the other soft-tops I tried, and all felt well built - mine does. Also the hood design was revamped in 2000/2001, I have no idea what they were like before this date but can assure anyone they are easily as quiet as an MX5 (which a mate has).
    As for the 'crappy rear axle set-up', it's based on the E30, so it's old, but I liked the way my E30 drove so couldn't really see where the issue is with this, it doesn't spoil the enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Sorry Gatser,
    I didn't mean to offend you or slag off your car.

I did however drive 2 of them a 1.9 older model and a 2.2 six cylinder 02 one.
    I was impressed with neither, and found the scuttle shake and noise levels awfull compared to my older MX5 - so much so after driving the 02 one I went back down the same strech of road in my MX5 on purpose to compare.
    It just seemed less dynamically capable than the others, the older rear axle means poor ride and they had a tendancy to be tail happy.

It is one of the best looking cars made for years though, it does draw alot from its heritage design wise, few could argue you'd not need to read the badge to know what make it is.

As I said this is just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Gatster wrote:
    What? Jittery as opposed to what, an early S2000 or the on/off power of a TT?

The TT has a turbo, that's how turbos deliver the power but it is certainly NOT on/off as you make out. It pulls from low down almost to red line.

Fair enough you are going to think your own car is great but SERIOUSLY... do not make yourself look silly by comparing a Z3 to either a TT or an S2000! :eek:

The Z3 is awful. So awful. Even hairdressers turn their noses at them in this day and age.

Fair play, I like the looseness of the rear end, so to speak. I strongly considered the MX5 1.8s as well but then drove the new model, and thought there was a big difference, but I think it was probably the look of the new one I was really keen on. In the same breath, I didn't drive the Z4, my opinion could be very different ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement