Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value of a 1920 era Webley?

Options
  • 18-03-2007 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    Been asked a general question here about a Webley service revolver that was handed in in the amnesty recently. The owner didn't realise it could have been worth something and he was curious to know how much it might have been worth. It was a webley service revolver which would probably have been issued to the RIC and *ahem* liberated by actors unknown, and then handed from person to person before getting dropped in a drawer decades ago and forgotten about, your standard sort of story. My guess is that it's not worth a huge amount as it had no real provenance and might not have been in mint condition - anyone have any kind of rough ballpark figures?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Not a lot of info to go on, which model it is and condition would be important to know. Some research on it's history could also affect it's worth.

Here's a site in England selling Webleys that may be of some use:

http://www.rjholloway.co.uk/handguns.htm

They only have Mk.VI's listed currently but I've seen other models there too - have often considered a Webley as something I'd like to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I have a webley junior pellet gun in a handgun form, it's not functional, but a wonderful family heirloom. Recently spotted original signage for it in a belt shop in Cork, and asked the owner to part with it, but he wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Bummer if it was a marked RIC .455 Webley .:(

Indeed, actually in that case, I'd say he'd be better off not knowing how much it was worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Just as likely to be a clapped-out Mark VI someone brought back from France 1914 - 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No idea what model I'm afraid - the lad in question just wanted to get it out of the house (apparently it was handed down in the family but he thought it was illegal to have it when the amnesty was announced and so didn't seek to sell it or licence it, just to hand it in). Looking at the prices for even clapped-out mark VIs though, he wouldn't be too happy, it would have at least paid for the petrol needed to drive it to the local dealer...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I was offered, a couple of years back, a de-ac Webley MkIV in pretty good condition for €250 with de-ac certificate etc.......I hadnt got the money then :(:(.

Anyway, Webleys go for about £150-£250 on British Militaria sites, depends on condition of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Agree with Civdef. Better off not knowing. If Fosbery model you are looking at thousands, RIC stamps thousands, .38 dmp model (gman) priceless!

38 dmp model (gman) priceless!
    Why do I have the sinking feeling that the odds of someone checking the handed-in firearms for such historically valuable pieces are up there with the odds of being hit by a meteor while being struck by lightning just after winning the lotto and the euromillions on a thursday?

You'd be surprised. All sorts of rarities ended up being put away at the conclusion of the conflict.
    Handguns used during the War of Independence were varied in the extreme, with one of the main sources being creative acquisition from Crown forces.

• Advertisement

We can only hope. Meanwhile, the chap who handed it in is going to be sorely tried by this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Sparks,
    Water down the drain. :D Tell your friend that he should think carefully about the possible results or consequences before doing something. The old adage "Look before you leap". :cool:

Early (1868- ) RIC Webley's were solid-frame, gate-loaded revolver (the hinged-frame revolver design in 1870), chambered in proprietary .442 Webley and .455 Webley.
    http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/images/webley-revolver/webley-revolver-4.jpg
    The Mk VI,in .38/200 was produced between 1915 and 1923.
    http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg91-e.htm

The MkVI was .455, 38/200 came later on.

civdef wrote:

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

civdef wrote:

True enough regarding the MkV1 .455.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

just wondering how difficult it would be to licience an heirloom like that or 303's
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Is .303 not still considered a 'military calibre' seen as the RDF still use it in the BREN (even though it is being phased out).

Depends on your super but generally not regarded as one. Anyway, no law against military calibers. Good few licensed around the place. Fair price on Ammo too, can be got up north for stg £7 for 20!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Stock up on 303 British if you want to keep using it in original config.It is becoming sparse on the intl arms market as well.Due to the resurge and cheapness of the Enfield.

Advertisement