Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much to set up poker software???

Options
  • 18-03-2007 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

hi im interested in setting up a brand new poker software but i first i need to arrange my finances.so i need to know how much it will cost me.i am aware of he heavy competition but even stiil i am confident that if its done right and with enough advertising i think it could be done,but i need a lot more info so can anyobody donate some help.thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭gamblingIRE

I think that it will cost you too much to justify doing it ... you also need secure transactions, transaction management, support, helpdesk etc..

I suggest contacting a company who can provide you your own "skin"/ branding and permit you to use their network and promotions..

I suggest have a look at boss sweden (boss.se I think)- they do the software for poker.co.uk. virgin, sporting odds poker and loads more.. they don't come cheap but it saves time and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I'd guess in the region of tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands.

You need to be 100% sure and verified that you're code works in *all* situations and *never* makes a mistake or crashes. It'd need to be fast. It'd need to be unhackable. You will need to have a live (or near live) help desk.

You may have to keep detailed records of every game played. That costs money. You can't afford to lose any records through fire/accident, that costs money. You need to be sure that all credit card details and whatnot are secure and safe, which costs a lot of money.

In other words, you need to be damn sure you are not using people who are "donating" their time. What you need is people who will do it right and who'll probably charge a lot of money for the privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

j2u wrote:
    hi im interested in setting up a brand new poker software but i first i need to arrange my finances.so i need to know how much it will cost me.i am aware of he heavy competition but even stiil i am confident that if its done right and with enough advertising i think it could be done,but i need a lot more info so can anyobody donate some help.thanks

You are talking about setting up a company to run a poker website. The software is only a small part of that. I'd assume to do that properly you be looking at 50~100k. Most likely a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Wasn't there a huge thread on this some time last year? If I remember correctly, the bottom line was that it simply wasn't practical for one person do to it/afford it and that it was a substantial amount of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I think that 'j2u' asked a very similar question on the Work & Jobs forum four months ago. This time there isn't much improvement in the line of questioning.

I can see this question coming up again and again but I don't see anyone who needs to ask generic questions here having the right combination of marketable differences, venture capital and business acumen to make a success of it in a crowded market.

Go and dig up the thread that 'tom dunne' has mentioned on both this thread and the previous one on the Work & Jobs forum. 'The Corinthian' had some excellent insights into the scale of undertaking this would really be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^ What leeroy said.

To even look at it from one tiny aspect of the undertaking:
    You would have to write the application in such a way that when someone downloads it and decompiles it (and I mean *when*), that there is no change they can make to your code that will increase their chances in the game.

That aspect alone would require a small project team with at least one highly experienced programmer involved.

I think 100's of k's of euros is underestimating the undertaking this would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I agree with leeroy and seamus, the fact that you are asking completely generic questions here rather than doing proper research into what is involved doesn't lead me to believe that you are likely to be able to be successful.

To put it another way, if you had the money needed, you would be either looking for quotes from comapanies for the work, or else paying someone else to look for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Let me put it this way... paddy power (the biggest gambling company in ireland by a mile) just have a skin on anothers companies network...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

The biggest expense will be the legal fees when you (or one of your employees or backers) get arrested in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

seamus wrote:
    ^^ What leeroy said.

To even look at it from one tiny aspect of the undertaking:
    You would have to write the application in such a way that when someone downloads it and decompiles it (and I mean *when*), that there is no change they can make to your code that will increase their chances in the game.

That aspect alone would require a small project team with at least one highly experienced programmer involved.

Interestingly, it's not that hard to implement at all, it's in fact possible to develop an algorithm using DES encryption to produce a peer-to-peer poker game that is as secure as DES itself, with peers rotating their turn as dealer yet being unable to cheat. It uses a technique called zero knowledge proofs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement