Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quietening an Exhaust

Options
  • 18-03-2007 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Have a dual exhaust fitted now a few months, and whilst its not rudely loud, its a little annoying on the long drives. Is there anyway of making it less noisey, if not totally quiet?!

Thanks

(I know quietening isint a word, but u know what i mean!!)

Comments

You fitted a performace exhaust now you are concerned about the noise..

What did you think it was going to be like.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

True, but not all performance exhausts are specifically going to be noisey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

What make/model of car is this exhaust attached to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Use the accelerator very very gently.

JHMEG wrote:
    Use the accelerator very very gently.

:D:D

Ah acceleration is grand, its just when ur driving on a motorway for an hour, the hum gets a little annoying!!

Its an almera n16. Straight exhaust

• Advertisement

Is it a street legal exhaust? Noise levels etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

antodeco wrote:

Ah acceleration is grand, its just when ur driving on a motorway for an hour, the hum gets a little annoying!!

I have the same problem: 120km/h and the engine is doing 4600rpm in fifth, courtesy the close ratio gearbox.. you can change the exhaust fairly handy.. I can't change the gearbox so easily...

antodeco wrote:

A dual exhaust... on an Almera...

The best you can hope for is a fartcan noise cause it will do sweet fa for performace.

Really what was your thinking with getting this exhaust?

kerbdog wrote:
    Is it a street legal exhaust? Noise levels etc?

yup! As I said, its nowhere near being noisy, its a nice hmm off it when its driving, but the hum gets to you driving from Dublin to Galway regularly! :rolleyes:

ronoc wrote:
    A dual exhaust... on an Almera...

The best you can hope for is a fartcan noise cause it will do sweet fa for performace.

Dual as in a dual pipe on one exhaust (just in case u thought I meant two seperate exhausts)

ronoc wrote:
    Really what was your thinking with getting this exhaust?

Have u ever seen the normal exhaust on them? Looks like a pen!s!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote:
    Have u ever seen the normal exhaust on them? Looks like a pen!s!! :rolleyes:

Good a reason as any I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

The stainless exhaust people in Blackrock (Powerflow, I think - on the same street as the police station) can insert a resonator in the straight mid-pipe of your system. That'll tone it down a bit - give it a bit of bass.

If you want it quieter still, they can put a silencer in instead of a resonator - but silencers tend to be bigger, so it depends how much room you have under there.

It'll cost you about EUR250 I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

mate had a bung that he used to put in the exhaust of his AE86 Levin, for all the world it looked like an oversized brillo pad!! Cant see it being too good for the car but probably ok for temporary stints.

Another made with an WRX Impreza had a yoke beside the centre console,looked like a plunger or choke mechanism. when he pulled it up it quitened the exhaust, used it for driving through towns/estates but when it was down the full noise of the exhaust could be heard. It was on the car when it came in from japland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

whaddya want two exhausts on a nissan for? its still a 1.6litre car.
    i was going to put a back box on a bmw ages ago but after deliberating i decided not to. i knew it would make it louder and would give me fcuk all performance gain, so at the end of the day. its pointless. and not very cool.

we all aspire to drive cars with two tail pipes at some stage im sure, and unless a mgf tickles your fancy id rather wait till i had a bit more cash.

legs11 wrote:
    whaddya want two exhausts on a nissan for? its still a 1.6litre car.
    i was going to put a back box on a bmw ages ago but after deliberating i decided not to. i knew it would make it louder and would give me fcuk all performance gain, so at the end of the day. its pointless. and not very cool.

we all aspire to drive cars with two tail pipes at some stage im sure, and unless a mgf tickles your fancy id rather wait till i had a bit more cash.

Saw an older style Punto with two tail pipes. Looked like you would use them to pick it up like a wheelbarrow, sad looking

Its a dual pipe single exhaust, only on one side. As i said, its better looking then the pen!s exhaust that was on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

lol, right.
    well bring some ear plugs on the long trips then.........

i never put a back box on my bmw mainly cos when it came to selling i would be restricting my car to a market of skangers basically. i think bmws deserve a bit more respect.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In all fairness legs11, some exhausts on a BMW (as with other cars) can make it sound much better without causing a headache on long drives.
    I can think of one 320Ci which has an Eisenmann upgrade and it sounds reat but isn't too much.

Advertisement