Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetness around cold water pipes and tank in hotpress?

Options
  • 18-03-2007 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

A couple of months ago, the outside surfaces of the cold water pipes and the cold water tank in my apartment hotpress started becoming wet, without any visible leak anywhere. The hot water pipes are unaffected.

I think it's condensation, but am I right?

- If it is, what measure will stop it happening? For now, I wrap old cloths around key joints, but they become too wet too soon and the thought of a leak keeps lingering...

- If it is not, then it must be a leak and a visit by the plumber is inevitable...

So what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

if you're wrapping cloths around the joints and they're getting wet, it sounds like a leak to me. Theoretically, the cloths should "insulate" the cold pipe and prevent any condensation.

Also, if it's the cold water pipes from your attic tank then there should be condensation of any significant extent as they shouldnt be so cold. If it's the rising main feeding your attic tank, then in theory, there is a chance it could be condensation.

If it's something that started recently then it's a leak. If it were condensation then it would likely have been there all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

3 things:

I concur with Avns1s re possible leak however could be condensation from too much humididty in the apt: Are u drying clothes in the hot press or is there lots of cooking or long hot baths/showers/ cur isteach/ going on with no extractor fan.

can u post a pic for a look see pls?
    an curious to see the cold water tank in the HP as it should be lagged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'd say it's condensation ,the water is colder during cold weather and it's coming back to temperature .
    Try buying some lagging and properly insulate the pipe,from room temp in your hotpress.

Edit: I always insulate pipes in attics ,they need to be insulated against freezing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Put some lagging on the pipes and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The condensation could be a sign of multiple issues -
    1. That there is a leak and it's adding excess moisture to the air, leading to condensation.
    2. That there is a source of damp air under the attic.
    3. That there is a high flow of cold mains water into the tank and a lack of cover leading to condensation on the exterior.

I had a shower fan which was venting into the attic and not to the exterior as it should. It would have caused similar issues such as this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement