Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and forecasts.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Pretty heavy snow here in Lusk now, hail mixed in too

back to light rain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,901 ✭✭✭patrickc

i just drove home from work in Dublin to Carlow. Snow really heavy and sticking around moone the whole way to just after castledermot, and not much here in Carlow, not sticking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Still flaking it down in Tullow, time for a drive to see what its like report back soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

I drove from Kilcock, Co. Kildare to Mullingar tonight at 9pm and the snow was very heavy and blizzard-like especially at Mullingar.

It got so bad visibility was very poor and i feared i would not make it on south then to Clara, Co. Offaly.

However it was like a miracle when i headed 5km south of Mullingar the snow completely dissapeared!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

It has to be one of the most depressing sights ever to see snow melting and rain blowing in the wind, it's happening outside my window now! There must be a warm sector cause temp has risen to 0.8c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It won't beat 2001. It's been snowing here in fits and bouts here since it started off again at 10.45. We are now at an inch on paved surfaces and 2 on grass. 6 inch drifts along western walls. It's very pretty indeed:D

It's starting to turn into wet snow but I really shouldn't complain. Much of Louth will not do as well as I did.

What's the scenario like for tomorrow? Will the showers that many of us frequently experienced today, continue into tomorrow?

Btw, the electricity died here for a moment over 30 mins ago. I wonder if it was related to the weather. The wind is almost calm at times and gusty at others. Strange.

Also, our temperature is hovering near 1 degree yet how did I get more snow than others at similar temps? Anyway, I'll be up at 7.30 to give a hand with the car so I'll report again then.

Btw its very windy in the northwest at the moment with 74mph in finner:
    http://xcweather.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

rc28 wrote:
    It has to be one of the most depressing sights ever to see snow melting and rain blowing in the wind, it's happening outside my window now! There must be a warm sector cause temp has risen to 0.8c

Same here. I'm seething. This looked to be so good earlier on today as usual things never work out. :mad: :mad:
    I'll be amazed if there is any snow on the ground by 7 am tomorrow.

It won't beat 2001. It's been snowing here in fits and bouts here since it started off again at 10.45. We are now at an inch on paved surfaces and 2 on grass. 6 inch drifts along western walls. It's very pretty indeed:D

It's starting to turn into wet snow but I really shouldn't complain. Much of Louth will not do as well as I did.

What's the scenario like for tomorrow? Will the showers that many of us frequently experienced today, continue into tomorrow?

Btw, the electricity died here for a moment over 30 mins ago. I wonder if it was related to the weather. The wind is almost calm at times and gusty at others. Strange.

Also, our temperature is hovering near 1 degree yet how did I get more snow than others at similar temps? Anyway, I'll be up at 7.30 to give a hand with the car so I'll report again then.

I'm just curious as to whether you are living on high ground, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Btw, the electricity died here for a moment over 30 mins ago. I wonder if it was related to the weather.

Yes, snow on the lines causes the points to lose contact and your electricity will stop. After 2001, the ESB installed high tension lines in the Wicklow upland areas to fix this problem. Before that we would lose power during snowstorms.

Gonna call it a night. Should be more snow tonight and tomorrow. Winds are forecast to turn more northerly so it should be even colder. Currently +0.2 and snowing lightly.

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Temp at 2.2c in the passage of the occluded front.To be expected but should fall again in next hour or two.Air will be colder again after this but with lesser shower activity.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Steady rain here still with a bit of sleet and snow mixed in...the bulk though is rain. This is obviously the final slap in the face :(

Snowbie wrote:
    Temp at 2.2c in the passage of the occluded front.To be expected but should fall again in next hour or two.Air will be colder again after this but with lesser shower activity.

isn't it always the way when the precipitation the decreases. Damn:(

Will the North and East of the country have the best chance of snow tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

145 metres above sea level. In cases where the temperature is 2 degrees at sea level and 1 at 150 metres, it makes all the difference. At 9.30 pm I only saw any lying snow on grass at >90 metres asl and the amount increased as I went higher.

I'd also like to add that much of the driveway snow has actually melted away into slush. But at the moment it's snowing at a robust rate. It's a bit closer to wet snow now but I think it's still 100% snow.

isn't it always the way when the precipitation the decreases. Damn:(

Will the North and East of the country have the best chance of snow tomorrow night?
    Be showers from tomorrow and its hard to tell where they hit.North be best.
    Meanwhile my temp is decreasing again now to 2c but dp is above freezing only temporarily at 0.4c

145 metres above sea level. In cases where the temperature is 2 degrees at sea level and 1 at 150 metres, it makes all the difference. At 9.30 pm I only saw any lying snow on grass at >90 metres asl and the amount increased as I went higher.

I'd also like to add that much of the driveway snow has actually melted away into slush. But at the moment it's snowing at a robust rate. It's a bit closer to wet snow now but I think it's still 100% snow.
    Temp decreases by 1c every 150meters up you go.Even a half of a degree makes the difference like 75meters which is the altitude of dublin airport.Its nearly always a half degree colder there than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Amazing, it had turned all white and just as I left it stopped snowing, there was nothing a mile from me then 3 miles away it was all white again, I arrive back home and bang! its gone all the snow has melted. The ground is too wet for anything to stick now, it was nice for 10 minutes but thats it, 2007 has so far failed to give any decent snow here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow has turned to rain now and any lying snow has melted

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Been Snowing very heavy for the last 25 mins here in Waterford City. It looks to be sticking also, and no sign of it stopping too.

Picture%20007.jpg
    Picture%20008.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Gone extremely windy here, driving rain with a bit of snow mixed in :mad: ...........looks like its all going wrong yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Man it's blowing a strong gale outside here ATM...ben raining and sleeting almost cnstantly since about 11pm. Wind sounds stronger than it was last night and it has got noticably colder. I think the direction has gone round t the north slightly too.

BTW just looking at the latest eumetsat animation...the 00am shot shows a flow with what looks like a trough moving fast oiff the east coast of Iceland and I could swear it's got an "eye" f sorts....gonna wait for the next shot to see if it's my imagination or not.

That wind is howling now...

Brrrr.

WHOA! i had signed off and was just going to bed when suddenly in the last 20mins there have been ferocious winds, and i mean really strong. The lights flickered and 2 branches have come off the trees around my house, does anyone know if this is a squall or sumthing? the temp rose to 2c in last half hour but has now dropped back to 1c and although it was raining for a time it is snowing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Reckon these are downdrafts more than straightline wind....they're howling in the chimney and I can actually feel the coldness of the air coming down the flue (fire's gone out)

Stopped raining here now too, bt judging by the radr more is on the way....hopefully a bit more solid this itme...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

O...K..............its gone from rain now to driving snow and strong winds :eek:, strange night!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The warm sector has gone. Any showers from now will be of snow. IF your lucky you may see a dusting;)

Yes that was some seriously squalls not gusts.Avg went up to near gale with squalls up to 39mph.Thats a strong squall as its consistent wind.Alarms were going off around here on cars.Temp is decreasing again now back to 2.5c
    I dont think there is a chance of lying snow here tonight but whats interesting is the wide area of squalls we experienced here.

Snowbie wrote:
    Yes that was some seriously squalls not gusts.Avg went up to near gale with squalls up to 39mph.Thats a strong squall as its consistent wind.Alarms were going off around here on cars.Temp is decreasing again now back to 2.5c
    I dont think there is a chance of lying snow here tonight but whats interesting is the wide area of squalls we experienced here.
    There were certainly some scary winds here in meath, nyway some very strong winds on north coast and all stations are are recording the wind direction turning northerly now. showers seem to have developed a bit over ni too.
    http://xcweather.co.uk/

darkman2 wrote:
    The warm sector has gone. Any showers from now will be of snow. IF your lucky you may see a dusting;)
    In fairness Dm you have talked about that warm sector the last day.You were spot on with that.It has cleared now and my temp is droping back 2.3c and dp is falling.It will go down as a decaying occluded front that has passed over but affecting temps and precip.Good call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Cheers Snowbie!

Thankfully shortlived eh!;)

Temp dropping could be due to clear skies it has to be said but really its probrably the fact that the warm sector was there. BTW snowbie since it effected ground temps that means it was not actually an occluded front at all but rather a very small warm then cold front.

There is a chance we could get a shower or two later.

Oh and before anyone complains about the wind - its actually being very useful drying the surface here such that should we get snow later we may get a slight dusting.

We have a band of showers moving down from the north. Could be our saving grace!

• Advertisement

Ok the latest 02:00 radar shows that clump of precip ver ni has actually gotten more organised, i have been watching the radar over the past few hours and tyhe showers dont appear to be dying away at all, even in england some are still developing as you can see a heavy one reaching london.
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html
    http://meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=2007&maand=03&uur=03&minuut=00&dag=19&id=97585575&bliksem=0
    http://www.meteo24.com/uk/index.php?q=radar
    I think i'll sign off now, gud luck

Advertisement