Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and forecasts.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yes looks like the last of the more organised showers. It may give a dusting for some;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Wind is really picking up here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

:D Im back! The wind has gotten really strong yet again except this time there is very heavy snow and at times blizzard-like conditions, it's sticking to cars:D

Can I just ask where are you? Seems some of the precip has intensified and is heading for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

darkman2 wrote:
    Cheers Snowbie!

Thankfully shortlived eh!;)

Temp dropping could be due to clear skies it has to be said but really its probrably the fact that the warm sector was there. BTW snowbie since it effected ground temps that means it was not actually an occluded front at all but rather a very small warm then cold front.

There is a chance we could get a shower or two later.

Oh and before anyone complains about the wind - its actually being very useful drying the surface here such that should we get snow later we may get a slight dusting.

We have a band of showers moving down from the north. Could be our saving grace!
    Strange one this,we know occlusion when cold front catches up on warm front but this from cold source has warm sec written all over it.Being at the passage and the wake of the front,my temps have begun to climb again to 2.7c as i said strange and what your saying is correct being a warm front but not active just a dividing slight air mass.
    Off science we have a northerly and we get bloody warm front.
    Back on science although not unusaual to have this but why vortex has not being created as a PL in this instance has become mind boggling to me.Ripe signs from iceland this morning but cold seems to override the warm and trap warm for now in our present setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Dm do you mean me? i am in south east meath near dunshaughlin so anything over me should be heading in dublins direction. Look at all that precip west of scotland though and with the winds turning northerly u never know;)
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Yes thats the next trough. Im not expecting much from it tbh but it could pep up showers early morning. Its likely to swing into Britian though which means only the East Coast of Ireland having its effect. Not sure if that effect will even be on shore.

Snowbie warm sectors are very normal in northerly. Its just the tim of year. The air is modified much more then in previous months.

Ive snow here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Well, i've got bugger all here, although that's all i expected when i saw that last radar at 11:00. Temp 2.6C and dewpoint 0.0Maybe i'll at least see some snow on the way to the airport.
    EDIT: After saying that the temp has dropped to 2.1C and dewpoint -0.7C, the wonders of the irish climate, off to the airport, bah humbug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Woke up to a small bit of snow and wind outlook for today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Snowing here since at least 7.10 AM and it's snowed heavier and heavuer until now, where it is a full blizzard and the ground being that critical bit colder, it's sticking very effectively. Some snow had melted last night (a lot actually) but we're back up to an inch on the driveway and up to three on grass. There's an amazing amount of snow right now:D

Will upload pics later, there's some great ones to be got now.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea there is a trough moving south and all going well i should see some snow...

Yes light snow now

Goddamit its doing what it did last nite.. light flakes of snow but nothing at all significant

This shower must of died at my doorstep:rolleyes:

Jaysus that trough fairly died as it hit Dublin. Tough going for the city/county dwellers in Dublin. It gave us buckets of it. The clump of showers after that is currently with us right now and it's fairly potent too.

We've a lot of snow on the grass and whatnot but the problem is that at temps of a bit over a degree, it's melting simultaneously too. Thankfully the snow remains just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Very little overnight precipitation here.

They were certainly strong winds...

Temp up to 4C now and stayed above 2C all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Didn't get much last night..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52930713&postcount=30

Bbut it looks like there could be more in the sky. Northerly winds could push more down.

What's it like from Kilkenny and further south? Have a trip to Kerry to make.

It stopped snowing about 20 or so minutes ago but it's started again. This time, the snow is falling at a more moderate or light rate. A lot of snow melted in the 20 minutes in the full sunshine so I'm glad I got my pictures taken earlier. And now it's finished. 5 minutes, but the sun is not out which might delay the thaw.

Mothman wrote:
    Very little overnight precipitation here.

They were certainly strong winds...

Temp up to 4C now and stayed above 2C all night.
    Min here was 0.9c(that was chilly in the wind) at 354am with a slight dusting on the ground and car tops.
    It's rare these days to see ballymoyle covered beside the sea, and the N11 but it is,it's not that high.Areas inland that I can see from here that usually wouldnt have a covering from ballymoyle inland to redcross are also covered with what looks at this distance like little field drifts albeit measurable in low inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Pffft ...nothing here at all ...nofrost, no ice, no snow. Just a continuation of yesterday with wintry shower after wintry shower and no accumulation.

Back where i come from, we've got a name for this "phenomenon", we call it

SCHEISSWETTER

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

No snow here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Rain and hail here. Ground saturated.
    I think the best thing I can hope for today is a decent t-storm...

Peasant wrote:
    SCHEISSWETTER

We just call it sh*te weather :D

It rained about 20 mins ago! Thats when i threw in the towel:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It rained about 20 mins ago! Thats when i threw in the towel:rolleyes:
    Hmm I threw it in long ago...after I heard the weather forecast last night.:rolleyes: :(

Our run of luck has come to an end, but not before some kids in a house nearby got a snowman built:p

Heavy sleet has started 5 mons ago. Mainly wet snow, but still some rain too.

Oh wait, it's entirely wet snow now. Still too late for most of the ground here.

It lasted about 10 minutes.

Well to pick up a few positive tatters

The coldest air is going arrive tonight with 850's going to -9/-10c and winds are expected to veer Northeast which means showers may start coming onto the Irish east coast towards dawn and will fall as snow.

Again for much of tomorrow the coldest air of the cold spell will be around with easterly winds and snow showers before calming down to a crisp night tomorrow Night.

850's Now

gfs-1-6.png

850's by dawn

gfs-1-24.png

Hail shower approaching here looks heavy

Extrmely gusty winds and heavy snow/hail

• Advertisement

Temp down to 2c no with the shower