Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hints for higher level english paper

Options
  • 18-03-2007 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

anyone any idea what poets are coming up on higher level english paper plath,frost, montague,bishop done well, kinda know yeats and kavanagh,what's a hot tip also what mode in the comparative cult context, theme gen.vis and v.point. desperate for any tips, thanx guys:) ::D :confused:
    Montague -anyone think he's a cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You should be covered with Plath and Bishop. Plath is the more highly tipped of the two but our teacher told us that they did ask Bishop twice in a row a few years a go when Plath was meant to be a sure thing! Yeats is also hotly tipped because there is a celebration of his work running this year in the National Gallery of Ireland.

As for the Comparative, your guess is as good as mine. Thankfully there aren't as many combinations of questions that they can ask here. To make our life a bit easier, we've totally ignored the Literary Genre question.

Of course the DOE has moved away in recent years from making it easy to predict what was going to come up, so I certainly wouldn't concentrate wholly on what's meant to come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Not really worth your time risking it, youll be ****ting it a week or two before your exams man, better off covering all bases. If worst comes to worst though, montague is meant to be highly favoured!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Cant remember where i heard this but someone told me there's a good chance that Plath and Bishop wont come up this year. Something bout the fact that one of them has come up every year and last year they both came up. Dunno if its true but its just something i heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

nick23 wrote:
    Cant remember where i heard this but someone told me there's a good chance that Plath and Bishop wont come up this year. Something bout the fact that one of them has come up every year and last year they both came up. Dunno if its true but its just something i heard

Its not true - Plath didn't come up last year. The Department has shown a pattern of having one female poet on the paper every year, though there's no guarantee either are coming up this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

What about Kavanagh? No sign of him in previous years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

He came up in 04, that's close enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Trying to predict the poets has a tendency of ending badly... :D

Having said that, the official Dept of Ed policy is that they pick them randomly, but that it would be a 'pity' if there wasn't a) a female poet and b) an Irish poet on each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

claire h wrote:
    Trying to predict the poets has a tendency of ending badly... :D
    Not really. Worked perfect for me, learnt 1 poet last year. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Not really. Worked perfect for me, learnt 1 poet last year. :rolleyes:

Good for you. That totally cancels out every time others have gone into an exam smug and positive they've cracked the system and then found themselves staring at the paper in horror. :rolleyes:

claire h wrote:
    Good for you. That totally cancels out every time others have gone into an exam smug and positive they've cracked the system and then found themselves staring at the paper in horror. :rolleyes:
    Worked for me in 6 and a half exams, 1 section wrong out of 7 exams wasn't bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 curious girl

could u please tell mne who was the one poet u learned and that came up thanx curious girl

md99 wrote:
    He came up in 04, that's close enough.

How did I miss that? :confused: Haven't checked yet (due to laziness) but I believe you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

English is perhaps the biggest joke of a subject in the LC.

Its all about bull****ting and more bull****ting...

I absolutely hate it even though i do quite well..

What i find so funny is that just 10 percent of the exam goes on your punctuation and grammar! When this is perhaps the most important part of English, sure i dont know when to put a ' or not but you don't actually need too.

You just need to use big words..

Perhaps the biggest tip for the test is to get a thesarus and pick out the common words you use such as portray and convey and find other words meaning the same thing.

Like i currently have a question on Atmosphere in an extract from a book, what a load of tosh! The Guy just wrote the god damn thing i dont need to go discussing his use of god damn adjectives and colour etc etc etc ..

its so ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

could u please tell mne who was the one poet u learned and that came up thanx curious girl
    Hardy, he's not on for your year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 curious girl

Thanx for help any tips in general for higher level english paper would be grateful crackin up so much to do, anything i can leave out?
    Appreciated - Curious Girl

Ok, trick is to get a joke in. Top marks nearly straight away if you do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Hopkirk

Montague has never been asked before, so I'd say he's a good bet to be there.

Is it that he has never been asked or that he was never on the persrcibed list of poets before this?

This is his first year on the course which is why he isn't really that highly tipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Hopkirk

This is his first year on the course which is why he isn't really that highly tipped.

I would put forward that that Is the reason why he is highly tipped,:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

no, he's been on the course once before, but didn't come up in the exam, he has however appeared in the ordinary level exam once. He is one of the live poets, so he may well take offense if he's left out again this year...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

I was tipped four poets that could come up this year: Plath, Kavanagh, Yeats or Frost. I doubt that Bishop will be up since she came up in last years mock & LC.

in last years mock & LC.

The mock has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on what comes up on the actual exam. The pre exams are produced by external companies that have no influence on the State Examinations Commission. I'm surprised at the amount of people who think this - my friend was basing all his studies for the Leaving Cert based on what game up on the pres!

Advertisement