Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok who's got the crappiest NTL broadband Max connection Speed

Options
  • 19-03-2007 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭

Check this out ran the speedtest.net test selected the dublin server and this is what I got, upload is not bad if your not downloading torrents but look at the download :(:(:( Remember this is broadband max.

Anyone wants to post their results there is a link to the left for forums just click copy and paste it into your reply.

Snake :(

101086805.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I think the downspeed would have gone higher given more time. I'm quite surpirsed at teh up speed . Normally i break into the 500's.

bear in mind that this test is being done at half twelve though.

101103991.png

Lol I have a better connection to teh faroe Islands then i do to Dublin.

101104969.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well so much for getting better speeds off peak nearly broke the 1 meg at 3am. This is rubbish I'm going to ring them tomorrow and demand credit on my account for these crappy speeds

101142268.png

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

do you honestly think that those speeds are THAT bad, quite a few of us that are/were on NTL/Chorus were luckly to get 200kb/sec at night on download lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Check this out ran the speedtest.net test selected the dublin server and this is what I got, upload is not bad if your not downloading torrents but look at the download :(:(:( Remember this is broadband max.

Anyone wants to post their results there is a link to the left for forums just click copy and paste it into your reply.

Snake :(

101086805.png

Try this site instead as a comparison:

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/speedtest/

I dont like the zdnet one. It said I was getting 5500 down whereas this is what I got from speedtest.net

101221221.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

101228209.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

101230320.png
    I've thankfully never had any speed issues, I received the full 3 megs for a while, the full 10 megs when they tested that (good times!:p) and am getting the full 6 at the moment.
    random disconnects on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well I'm still winning on the crappiest Speed (remember its not the best speed). My point is I'm paying 39.99 Euros a month for for less then a 1 meg service. I'm going to get onto them today this should be a laugh

101231074.png

Snake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Im not on the top package but pleased enough with the speeds im getting from the middle pack. Got put in not long ago and have had no complaints tbh

101235722.png

tman wrote:
    101230320.png
    I've thankfully never had any speed issues, I received the full 3 megs for a while, the full 10 megs when they tested that (good times!:p) and am getting the full 6 at the moment.
    random disconnects on the other hand....

Sorry to say but your not getting full speed. Full speed on the 6Mb package is 750KB ,although realistally you will never get that due to overheads + line quality. I would be happy with abything over 700KB which I am not even nearly getting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I'm on 6 Megs and measured 2.8 Megs on that speedtest.net site. Yet on www.irishisptest.ie and www.apple.com (multiply the apple result by 8) I'm getting 5 Megs and above. So it would appear at first glance that www.speedtest.net is unreliable at best. Please see attached.

Freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

101244174.png
    Not too bad. Midday on a bank holiday Monday though. Ping could do with improvement.

Whats most annoying is that they sent us a snotty letter the other day demanding that we reduce our cap usage or be cut off, because "they'd received complaints from people in this area". Of course they've received complaints. I've been the one making them. I also know that I'm not getting anywhere near 40GB per month, but it's that stupid 1GB per day thing that's making us look bad. Stop fscking routing everything through Amsterdam and blaming your paying customers and you might speed up your network. :mad:

So anyway, we're off to UTV. Or Magnet, on the off chance that they're available where I live (don't think they are).
    Sorry to say but your not getting full speed. Full speed on the 6Mb package is 750KB ,although realistally you will never get that due to overheads + line quality. I would be happy with abything over 700KB which I am not even nearly getting.
    His 5926kb/sec = 740.75KB/sec. (note big B and little B.. bits and bytes)

andrew163 wrote:
    101244174.png
    Not too bad. Midday on a bank holiday Monday though. Ping could do with improvement.

Whats most annoying is that they sent us a snotty letter the other day demanding that we reduce our cap usage or be cut off, because "they'd received complaints from people in this area". Of course they've received complaints. I've been the one making them. I also know that I'm not getting anywhere near 40GB per month, but it's that stupid 1GB per day thing that's making us look bad. Stop fscking routing everything through Amsterdam and blaming your paying customers and you might speed up your network. :mad:

So anyway, we're off to UTV. Or Magnet, on the off chance that they're available where I live (don't think they are).

His 5926kb/sec = 740.75KB/sec. (note big B and little B.. bits and bytes)

Sorry, yes you are quite right.

Edit: you think your ping is bad ?? take look at mine!!

its only very rarely that it is below 100 to the dublin server. I get a much better ping to london.

101248582.png

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

19/03/2007 19:14 DL 5865 kbps (716 KB/s) UL 0 kbps (0 KB/s) 98 % 67 ms 23 ms

Test on irishisptest.ie
    The testsite mentioned on this thread doesnt even notice an upload speed.

And that for about 3 months during peak hours.
    Oh... payment is due within a few days... i guess not.

And this is when the connection is back to life again

101555923.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Not too bad

101526005.png

Although all my torrents and similar downloads seem to be going faily slow or even not going at all.. Was getting 700KB/s for my torrents until the last week or so..

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

101535892.png

Dublin 18 here, haven't had a problem for ages now. I nearly switched to Magnet in January, but I don't really see the point with these steady speeds.

Advertisement