Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Potential NCT failure?

Options
  • 19-03-2007 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks I have a quick question regarding the NCT.

The first NCT is due on my car soon. The other day I got a very noticable buckle in one of my alloy wheels from a trademark Irish pothole. The rim has a small buckle about an inch long and the tyre seems to be ok. As there was only a few thousand miles left on the front tyres anyway I'm going to replace the tyre anyway this week as I don't want to risk a blowout. I also reckon the tracking is slightly knocked off too so I'm getting that done too. I'm also going to examin the alloy wheel with the tyre off and check for any fractures or cracks.

Anyway to cut a long story short I tried the NCT website but could not see anything of relevance. My question is, does anyone know if a visible buckle on the rim is an NCT failure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Could be a problem alright if very bad. From NCT manual reasons for failure
    Wheels
    (1) Any cracks or defective welds.
    (2) More than 19 mm (3⁄4 ") askew or buckled.
    (3) Incorrectly fitted.
    (4) Damaged, so that tyre damage or seal damage is possible.
    (5) Different sizes fitted on the same axle.
    (6) Any spoke or wheel component in such a condition that
    there is a danger of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BrianD3 wrote:
    Could be a problem alright if very bad. From NCT manual reasons for failure

Thanks Brian, I totally missed that completly on the website. :o

Yeah I might be in trouble alright. I will have to see if the rim can be repaired locally.

Typical bad luck, no buckles in 4 years and now one when the NCT is approaching. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A 3/4 inch buckle is a bad buckle though. My understandning is that this is a side-to side measurement when the wheel is spinning. Although I wouldn't be sure about that.

All my wheels are slightly buckled and I passed the NCT no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BrianD3 wrote:
    A 3/4 inch buckle is a bad buckle though. My understandning is that this is a side-to side measurement when the wheel is spinning. Although I wouldn't be sure about that.

All my wheels are slightly buckled and I passed the NCT no problem.

I am going to see if it first can be repaired and if so how much it will cost.

I may just send it through as it is and see if they pass/fail it. Thanks again.

Advertisement