Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a refund?

Options
  • 19-03-2007 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

I went shopping for a mountain bike last Sunday in Dublin, after having a good look around the shop I didnt really see anything I liked, so the guy in the shop brought out a bike from the back of the shop and showed it to me,
    he told me the bike was not even really released here yet and that it was an American made bike and if I took it he would give it to me for 500 euro, which was as he said a great price, so I bought it. When I got home I googled the bike and the rrp is 400 euro, and they are spanish built. I was very annoyed at the fibs they guy told me, could I get a refund on these grounds that I paid 100 euro over the mark for this bike and that I was misinformed about the bike.I have not even used this bike yet it is still perfect. I just feel ripped off.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I would believe you are. You should contact the shop straight away to see what they say about the matter before you go in demanding a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Well caveat emptor (spelt wrong) Let the buyer beware. You really should have checked up before hand. I dont think you can get a refund..we you are not entitled to one. Whos to say that you arent lying..there is no proof (not saying you are). But as a shops view they will blame you.It depends though. If they do sell it in the shop and you bought it above the advertised price then you have a claim id say..with a receipt of course. There is nothing wrong with the bike..so therefore the shop do not have to give you a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

D-! wrote:
    I went shopping for a mountain bike last Sunday in Dublin, after having a good look around the shop I didnt really see anything I liked, so the guy in the shop brought out a bike from the back of the shop and showed it to me,
    he told me the bike was not even really released here yet and that it was an American made bike and if I took it he would give it to me for 500 euro, which was as he said a great price, so I bought it. When I got home I googled the bike and the rrp is 400 euro, and they are spanish built. I was very annoyed at the fibs they guy told me, could I get a refund on these grounds that I paid 100 euro over the mark for this bike and that I was misinformed about the bike.I have not even used this bike yet it is still perfect. I just feel ripped off.
    Thanks in advance

He can charge €1m for if he wants...you have not right there...

but goods have to be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

(From : http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland/?searchterm=fit%20%20for%20purpose
    )

So while it might be a case of he said / she said you do have rights if he said it was us built and it was not...

Advertisement