Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl 26th March

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Whats the experts' verdict on this one? Is it worth the money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

Will this be much different than the aldi one, or is it bargain and worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Anybody know what mapping software it uses? (Or what software the last one from Lidl used...)
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 summer

The last one had Tele-Atlas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

According to a poster on Bargain Alerts, this system uses the dreaded TeleAtlas.

So its fairly useless if your going to be using it in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That software is Miomap by the looks of it, which uses TeleAtlas.

I noticed some satnav units with TA maps are claiming Q1/2007 maps with 100% coverage of Ireland. From the TA website it would appear the latest data has Ireland covered alright, as to how well is another question:

http://www.teleatlas.com/Pub/Press/Press_releases/TA_CT011633

So what do you's think, anyone gonna buy this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Did anybody get this unit. I went to lidl yesterday they only got 3 in.

Apparently the one on the Greenhills road had 8 or 9. Didnt get one though as im going for another system.

Would like to hear how good this is from anyone that bought it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

I was 4th in line in Castlerea and 10 people wanting them, They only had ONE yup 1, Didn't offer to take names or anything more or less told tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I was 4th in line in Castlerea and 10 people wanting them, They only had ONE yup 1, Didn't offer to take names or anything more or less told tough.

It was the same storey in Lidl in Coolock and Tyrrellstown they onyl got in 3 in each store. I think its a case of false advertising on behalf of lidl. Pc world got into trouble for this. They advertised a really cheap but very good laptop and they only got one per store. They got caught by the advisting body and got a large fine. I think lidl and aldi could get caught also. It a bit daft only geting a handfull of these in and 50 people looking for 5 gps units.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They always advise that there are limited quantities. Don't see how they could be prosecuted for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Im not sure how illegal it is, but its bad for the company's image.
    Its like they use the Laptops / GPS / Other seemingly wonderful bargains to get you in the door till you discover they have nothing left and only a checkout assistant to tell you tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

beerbaron wrote:
    Im not sure how illegal it is, but its bad for the company's image.
    Its like they use the Laptops / GPS / Other seemingly wonderful bargains to get you in the door till you discover they have nothing left and only a checkout assistant to tell you tough
    Some pure chap got a heartattack in the rush for the Satellite system in a Lidl in Co. Tipperary (IIRC?) last September so much was the demand, and typical Lidl "limited quantities" were available.

It is really only a scam to get people in and they will then usually buy something else they had not originally intended to buy in the first place. I generally take the LIDL specials with a grain of salt and said never again after three separate mornings of early madness (up an hour before to drive to the bloody place), between running in from the door and nearly getting fisti-cuffs from a knacker over something, (which he intended to sell on no doubt) madness I tell ya!

Advertisement