Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Li-berry is a Pisstake

• 19-03-2007 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

On entering the li-berry today you are greeted by a sign saying (and I paraphrase)

“The library is running on limited power so the lights are off in several areas, please study somewhere with lights”

As far as I can tell, the 4th floor is the only one open. All of Law, Commerce and my secret study area are pitch dark meaning I'm in an area I hate to study in.

WTF?

For gods sake, do they need new lightbulbs or something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

TheVan wrote:
    On entering the li-berry today you are greeted by a sign saying (and I paraphrase)

“The library is running on limited power so the lights are off in several areas, please study somewhere with lights”

As far as I can tell, the 4th floor is the only one open. All of Law, Commerce and my secret study area are pitch dark meaning I'm in an area I hate to study in.

WTF?

For gods sake, do they need new lightbulbs or something?

Perhaps because it would be a huge waste of electricity to have all the lights on when it's a bank holiday and I imagine that there are very few people there?

(Now if only they could use the money they are saving to buy some nice new books :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Before the end of term I'll wager a building will collapse completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

The Van, what are you doing in the library? GET OUT NOW!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In fact it's about time the ridiculous use of electricity in the library was tackled.

The amount of lights per square foot is staggering. In most cases, the lights could be switched off near the windows and it would also help cool the place down a bit.

The air conditioning should be switched off and disconnected, because it does nothing only makes noise on the fourth floor. Hardly any air comes out the vents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

This is what you get for going to study on a bank holiday. Just be thankful its open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I'm utterly amazed it's open, but indeed only having the fourth floor lights on would be a pain. It's the noisiest floor by far in the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I thought the library was closed today. It made a nice handy excuse for me to not go in and study. Now I have to feel guilty. Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im in the library now, been here all day (on the first floor) and there is plenty of light . Whats the problem exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

beanyb wrote:
    I thought the library was closed today. It made a nice handy excuse for me to not go in and study. Now I have to feel guilty. Great.

me too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

A couple of years ago, the gripe was that the library wasn't open at all on bank holiday weekends.

Now, they open it on a skeleton basis (justifiable - as economically, it's a big loser, and few people would want it on said weekend anyway) and people still aren't satisfied.

Can they win?

• Advertisement

Well the seats are kinda uncomfortable I guess. Oh and the toilets are a bit far away from where I study. Oh Oh and the carpet is a bit dusty

How are we supposed to study under these conditions! Hugh Brady has it in for all us students so he does ! I want my Arse Wiped when I poo in the library jax! (too far??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

To be honest, after reading the opening post I made the assumption that the lighting situation was due some malfunction.

It's good to see the library open and I hope it wont be too long before it's open 24 hours around exam time. Then I can squat there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

TheVan what are you doing studying on a Bank Holiday anyway! God meant it to be a day of rest, you wouldn't want to make God angry would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Grimes wrote:
    I want my Arse Wiped when I poo in the library jax!

Hear hear!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

there was a power cut in Donnybrook and the whole Dublin 4 area yesterday. If you'd walked through there last night you would have seen no lights on at all. Perhaps that had something to do it.You were lucky to have lights in library at all perhaps....

UCD has a diesel-driven powerplant down in the boiler house which saves it money on ESB bills as well as being able to power a lot of the campus in an emergency.

Red Alert wrote:
    UCD has a diesel-driven powerplant down in the boiler house which saves it money on ESB bills as well as being able to power a lot of the campus in an emergency.

still there is simply no need to waste electricity and in particular , diesel when the library is in use as a "reading room only" for 50 or so people . (i seen about 50 max throught the day. Also the dark corners made for good kissy time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i'd be happy with no lights if they substituted that for heating. its bloody freezing in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Red Alert wrote:
    It's actually a CCGT (gas). No diesel plant down there anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

The li-berry is cold today....so in my frustration I looked at the radiator beside me and turned it on......and hot water came flowing through it!

The heat isn't off....but the radiators are....turn them on....go free and turn them on! :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Apparently, the library is more of a pisstake for some people than for others. I just went into the main toilets there at the entrance to the commerce section and into one of the cubicles. I noticed a flashing light out of the corner of my right eye and looked down.

Right there, on the floor, was the unmistakeable silhouette of someone having a proper bit of self-maintenance in the next cubicle. I feel psychologically scared by this and demand my money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Ewww! That is disgusting

was the unmistakeable silhouette of someone having a proper bit of self-maintenance in the next cubicle. QUOTE]

Ok I dont know what kind of subject that person was studying or indeed what books in the library got him in the mood for a spank and a tickle this afternoon but I want in on it!

SCL 936.15/BAR OH GOD YES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Apparently, the library is more of a pisstake for some people than for others. I just went into the main toilets there at the entrance to the commerce section and into one of the cubicles. I noticed a flashing light out of the corner of my right eye and looked down.

Right there, on the floor, was the unmistakeable silhouette of someone having a proper bit of self-maintenance in the next cubicle. I feel psychologically scared by this and demand my money back.

Omg.. this exact same thing happened to me, EXACT same toilets. Who the HELL has a **** in a library jax?!

One answer and it rhymes with robocop

Red Alert wrote:
    One answer and it rhymes with robocop

Grimes dosnt rhyme with robocop. Oh wait... shit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

My guess is that it was an Ag student who came across a picture of a particularly fine Heifer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Umaro wrote:
    Omg.. this exact same thing happened to me, EXACT same toilets. Who the HELL has a **** in a library jax?!
    ewwwwwww....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Vigorous wipe?

Could have been?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Did you miss the bit where I said this was "unmistakeable"!?

Let's just say there were other, disturbing tell-tale signs!

Advertisement