Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversion

Options
  • 19-03-2007 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I intend to convert my attic to useable storage space. I want to do the following
    Fit Staira type access
    Insulate between rafters
    Fit flooring
    Sheet it out.
    This is not going to be fancy, cost will be an issue so I will be doing all of the work. The problem I have is that there are 2 supports coming at 45 degrees from the rafters to the joists. I want to ghange this so that they go vertically from the joists to the rafters. What I was thinking about was putting a beam across 5-6 joists straight up to the beam which goes along the lenght of the rafters.
    Does this sound right?
    What do the pros do?
    BTW next door have their attic converted and something like this was done but cant get a look at it because of the sheeting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Can I ask why you want to move the supports? The vertical beam will be in roughly the same space so you won't get much extra floorspace, for a bit of extra work. you said there are two supports, is that 2 per joist/truss or 2 per rafter (2 each side, 4 per joist)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭nantony98

The supports do limit the space. Thats why they would need to be adjusted. There is one support on each side of the roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭plasto

You cant be fiddling with your roof on the cheap!

You need to put in RSJ's to support the load from 45 to 90 degrees, plus extra bridging near the top where both sides of your roof meet.

I did one in my own house about 5 years ago, you could build a proper one for about 5,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Don't forget to apply for planning! Also, don't you need to theoretically change all your dogs to self closing and fireproof if its already a 2 storey house as your in theory making it a 3 storey hence difference regulations. Was in my case anyways to satisfy fire regs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Also dont forget that if you go to see it, a buyer will probably look to have the building work signed off by a structural engineer so make sure it conforms to building regulations for an attic conversion. I bought a house with attic conversion and it was on the valuation for the mortgage done by the bank to get the structural engineers report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Since the OP is only making his attic usable for storage (essentially a large closet) rather than living space, surely no planning permission is required?

At a minimum, if you want to be able to advertise it as an extra room, you'd need to have a roof skylight or other form of openable window, right? Sounds well beyond the scope of what the OP had in mind.

Advertisement