Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Vents...

Options
  • 19-03-2007 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Are the air vents that are in every room of my 6 yr old house really necessary? There is an artic wind blowing in through them.

What is their objective? Fresh air in case of a gas leak?

I'm off to block them up with newspapers and cardboard....:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yes, they are necessary. Required as part of building regs to supply fresh are in every habitable room. If alot of wind is blowing in through them they might not be fitted right. Remove the cover and describe the inside, also the cover might be loose fitted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As Mellor said, you do need vents for air circulation although you may need to look at how they are fitted in case they are letting in to much air. They also help stop a Co2 buildup which can be very bad, also may give you headaches if blocked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

Mellor wrote:
    Yes, they are necessary. Required as part of building regs to supply fresh are in every habitable room. If alot of wind is blowing in through them they might not be fitted right. Remove the cover and describe the inside, also the cover might be loose fitted.

The 'vents' are merely plastic/metal tubes running through the walls with normal vent cover on the inside and a metal one on the outside...wind just blows straight through them...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have the same problem in my house - sitting room has 2 vents in the wall (presumably because there is a gas fire fitted in the room) and when the wind blows from the west there is a serious draught.

Seems daft to go to all the trouble of insulating and double-glazing modern houses and then sticking big holes in the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Join the club. I had to block some vents in bedrooms due to the roar from the wind and the loss of heat. I fitted adjustable covers over others, from where I can control the air-flow. I agree that ventilation is required, but these vents are very poor in design. An active system with a wind throttle would be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 shazfly

I have air vents in all my rooms and I hear every noise outside and they don't keep the cold out. I was wondering whether you can get stronger ones in diy shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

vents are required, especially if gas appliances are present...

What you need to do is put some baffles inside the vent, so that the air can't shoot straight in, but has to bend around a few turns...

I designed and made up baffles for my own vents from some thin wood.. it worked out well, i still get an air flow, but don't get massive gusts when its windy....

Advertisement