Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance

Options
  • 19-03-2007 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

My father owns a vehicle which is insured on his own name. Can I get a separate insurance on my own name on my father's car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

AFAIK its one policy per vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Also I dont think you can take out an insurance policy in your own name on a car you dont own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Double insuring something means only the first policy is valid. The second policy is completely useless. Would be a rediculous waste of money if you ask me.

This should be fairly obvious as in the even of a crash both you and your could claim and make more than the car is worth!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Probably not as you lack what they call an "insureable interest" in your father's vehicle.

If you had your own car insured in your own name you might be able to drive your father's car if your policy had a driving other cars extension (DOC). Unfortunately, this does not answer your question. By the way the (DOC) would only cover you in respect of third party liabilities and not damage to your father's vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

Thanks for replies. How can in the event of the crash both of us claim as only one of us could drive at one time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Paul_D wrote:
    Thanks for replies. How can in the event of the crash both of us claim as only one of us could drive at one time?

You are thinking like an honest person there.

Not your ornery onager

So that means that i can drive my dad's car without being a named driver or insured on my own name and then in the event of crash my father can claim as he was driving?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Paul_D wrote:
    So that means that i can drive my dad's car without being a named driver or insured on my own name and then in the event of crash my father can claim as he was driving?

No, if you crash and you are the only person in the car and the gardai arrive at the scene their report will state you were driving. In this case you would be uninsured!!

jonny24ie wrote:
    No, if you crash and you are the only person in the car and the gardai arrive at the scene their report will state you were driving. In this case you would be uninsured!!

ohh, if i crash and i was with my dad then i'm fine?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No..... you are the driver and you are uninsured!!

I'm not trying to have a go but its people like you that try avoid paying insurance that drives everyone elses premiums up!!

Just get name driver on your dad's policy and you can drive the car legally!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You'd have to lie basically and tell them that your dad was driving in order to win out.
    Why don't you just add your name to his policy as a named driver? Then you can use away at it whenever you like.

Adding myself as a named driver would cost almost as much as to get a policy on my own name.
    I just got confused by people saying that if both of us were insured then both of us theoretically could claim in the event of a crash...
    ...so which is also theoretically suggests that if my dad was with me and i crashed he could claim. i know it's kind of against the law, so i should get my own car and insure it on my own name.:)

Its always best to try get your own car and own policy as soon as possible so you can build up your own no claims discount!! It will work out cheaper in the long run!!

jonny24ie wrote:
    Its always best to try get your own car and own policy as soon as possible so you can build up your own no claims discount!! It will work out cheaper in the long run!!

Thant's why i wanted to get my separate policy on my dad's car: to build up no claims and my dad gone give away his car to me soon anyway.

Well wait until you have your own car then!!
    If you drive uninsured more than likely you will get caught and the fines can be hefty!!

Paul_D wrote:
    ...so which is also theoretically suggests that if my dad was with me and i crashed he could claim. i know it's kind of against the law, so i should get my own car and insure it on my own name.:)

I take back my earlier comment about you thinking like an honest person. Now my opinion is that you just can't think or reason properly.

Is it reallly safe for you to drive? You need to be able to process a lot of information in a short space of time to do that safely.

Back on topic - does your dad have much time left to run on his existing policy? If the answer is no, it may not cost a lot to have you added as a named driver for that period, and it might help to have been a named driver when you go for your own policy.

Please don't consider having your dad try to claim he was driving if you have an accident - you will both be in much deeper sh!t then. And don't even think of driving without insurance anyway - if caught, you will more than likely get a driving ban, and either way will find it almost impossible to get insurance afterwards.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

jonny24ie wrote:

If there is insurance on the car you would not be committing an offence under Section 56 of the Road Traffic Act i.e. driving while uninsured. The insurance company would have to compensate any third party who was injured but they could then claim the cost of doing so from your dad. I saw someone getting off on a charge of driving while uninsured last week. There was a policy in his dad's name. Luckily he hadn't done any damage before he was stopped.

esel wrote:
    I take back my earlier comment about you thinking like an honest person. Now my opinion is that you just can't think or reason properly.

Is it reallly safe for you to drive? You need to be able to process a lot of information in a short space of time to do that safely.

Back on topic - does your dad have much time left to run on his existing policy? If the answer is no, it may not cost a lot to have you added as a named driver for that period, and it might help to have been a named driver when you go for your own policy.

Please don't consider having your dad try to claim he was driving if you have an accident - you will both be in much deeper sh!t then. And don't even think of driving without insurance anyway - if caught, you will more than likely get a driving ban, and either way will find it almost impossible to get insurance afterwards.

Actually i'm trying to think as honestly as possible. First of all I was told that by having double insurance on one car both of us could claim even though only one was driving, that means logically that my dad could claim if i was driving without insurance at all.
    Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to drive without insurance...
    My dad's policy is until August, so there is no point of adding myself as a named driver, i'll better wait a month or so until i get my car and get my own policy (which is only a little bit more expensive then getting myself as a named driver...)

NAme driver for only a few months will not cost that much so ring them and find out!! That way you will have some form of NCB when you go to get your own policy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Paul_D wrote:
    Actually i'm trying to think as honestly as possible. First of all I was told that by having double insurance on one car both of us could claim even though only one was driving, that means logically that my dad could claim if i was driving without insurance at all.
    Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to drive without insurance...
    My dad's policy is until August, so there is no point of adding myself as a named driver, i'll better wait a month or so until i get my car and get my own policy (which is only a little bit more expensive then getting myself as a named driver...)
    I think you have been misinformed. If both of you have your own respective policys on the same car (if even thats possible) and one of you has an accident, then only that one person can claim. How the hell can your dad claim for an accident on the car when he was sitting at home watching TV at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Jonny: No you won't. They will only give you NCB for each full year. They give you nothing for anything under a year.

Ste, If you are still using the same company they will take it into account!! Happened my brother a few years ago!! It all depends on the circumstances though i suppose!!

Paul_D wrote:
    First of all I was told that by having double insurance on one car both of us could claim even though only one was driving, that means logically that my dad could claim if i was driving without insurance at all.
    Sorry Paul, your logic does not compute. My opinion still is that you just can't think or reason properly.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement