Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Linux for me ?

• 19-03-2007 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

I'm running Windows XP and I want to set this up a dual boot machine.

I have no Linux experience but I have a lot of Solaris experience so I'm guessing the transition should be grand. i want it partly to learn, maybe to a bit of coding and other stuff messing around. Ubuntu seems to be the flavor of the month here. Is it all command line or is it a kind of linux representation of MS ?

Any taught welcome :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ubuntu is very user friendly. nice GUI, with quick access to command line. great online forum support too on their site, great to start out on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

ubuntu is very user friendly. nice GUI, with quick access to command line. great online forum support too on their site, great to start out on

Yes, I've tried Debian "DreamLinux" but I've reinstalled Ubuntu. It's the best and most user friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Download the Ubuntu CD and try the live version. It won't "hurt" your PC and will give you some idea of what you can do with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

cool, just watched this which confirmed it for me

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2369893842637434537

its a instalation guide/video, looks very handy, it even partitions the disks :D

I think I won't bother though, I will run it from a second disk.

Actually love to do this now but I don't have a DVD here, I wonder can I just boot directly from the second hard drive? same thing ?:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

be careful, grub can be tricky if not done right first time.

• Advertisement

is that a general statement or just if your booting it from Disk ?

It's no biggy really, of course I can just pop out and pick up a disk

booting from cd is grand
    live cd is easy
    just when you install it onto the hd, it can SOMETIMES be a bit messy, but if ya follow the tutorials everywhere no problems should arise

Ok cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Ubuntu is easy to work....best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

*mono* wrote:
    Ubuntu is easy to work....best of luck with it

I wouldn't say that. When I (EVENTUALLY) got Ubuntu installed I had a solid week of trying to fix errors and bugs. Probably my story but, that's what happened. I just reinstalled it and now it's working grand.

• Advertisement

Ok, just an update on this. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu. I kept getting an error that there is "no root partition" set, so I had to investigate.

According to the documentation there is a known (and quite problematic) bug in Ubuntu that often requires a perfectly fine partition to be deleted and then re-created before it will be recognized for the installation. I did this and it worked fine, no problem.

I hav'nt really got a chance to play around with it too much, got side tracked with other work, but I'm sure I'll post my comments later ..

I've now have another question, when I dual boot I guess the option screen is coming from the BIOS to choose which OS to boot into. It gives 10 seconds to choose which OS before it automatically boots into the first OS on the list, how do I go about changing this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

when I dual boot I guess the option screen is coming from the BIOS to choose which OS to boot into. It gives 10 seconds to choose which OS before it automatically boots into the first OS on the list, how do I go about changing this ?
    Edit /etc/grub.conf and change

timeout 10

to whatever value you like. The time is measured in seconds.

cool that was easy ...:D

new to Dual booting had to look up what GRUB was.

Nice read here (short) if you don't know:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GRUB

cheers Aidan

cool that was easy ...:D

new to Dual booting had to look up what GRUB was.

Nice read here (short) if you don't know:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GRUB

cheers Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

delanest wrote:
    Ok, just an update on this. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu. I kept getting an error that there is "no root partition" set, so I had to investigate.

According to the documentation there is a known (and quite problematic) bug in Ubuntu that often requires a perfectly fine partition to be deleted and then re-created before it will be recognized for the installation. I did this and it worked fine, no problem.

I hav'nt really got a chance to play around with it too much, got side tracked with other work, but I'm sure I'll post my comments later ..

I've now have another question, when I dual boot I guess the option screen is coming from the BIOS to choose which OS to boot into. It gives 10 seconds to choose which OS before it automatically boots into the first OS on the list, how do I go about changing this ?
    I had the same problem recently. Was trying to install Xubuntu 6.10 over Ubuntu 6.6 and got that error. I will try wiping the current root partition so.

You can edit the grub file to change the default OS. I'm running openSUSE and there's a graphical frontend for doing this. This just edits /boot/grub/menu.lst. You'll need to be root/the su to view or edit this file.

Advertisement