Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airshows.

Options
  • 19-03-2007 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

The only one I've come up with in Ireland is www.salthillairshow.com it looks like another good line up for this year. If anyone else knows of any in Ireland or can recommend a good one you could add it on to this thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Farnborough has to be one of the best, but we'll have to wait until June of next year to have the pleasure again :(

Even the website hasn't launched yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

I have been going to this airshow for a number of years and have always enjoyed it.

http://www.airtattoo.com/showcontent.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Hey guys hope to see you at Salthill, my dad is the Organiser. if your on bebo this is our official salthill airshow site http://salthillairshow2007.bebo.com. And our official site is www.salthillairshow.com And Salthill is the ONLY Airshow in the Republic Of Ireland and is 100% FREE.

Regards,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yeah, looking foward to seeing the Thunderbirds. They have their new Block 52 F-16s now, upgrading from the Block 32s. The Block 52s have 7,000lbs more thrust than the 32s. Thats going to make some noise.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

hey Steyr am thinking about buying the balcony thing for €150 and bringing my sprog to Galway from Dublin for the weekend.

Couple of questions:

1: If you dont get the balcony things is field of view still good?
    2: Is the hotel easy to find coming from Dublin?

thanks

• Advertisement

oh yeah and about how long does the air show last for and are there aircraft "on the ground" you get to look at up close etc????

sorry for obvious questions but never been to one before

holy **** just checked availability for the weekend of the airshow that are on your website and all four are fully booked out for that weekend :(:(:(

any suggestions for accomodation thats close by?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

The Royal International Air Tattoo , ( Fairford Mid July ) has to be the best one around.

RoundyMooney , I always enjoyed Farnborough when I used to go but if you are taking kids or anyone you should remember the emphasis of that show is a trade show , so they are trying to sell the latest 4 seat trainer or whatever. Not gripping viewing IMO. ( maybe this has changed in the last 12 years , since I last went )

I used to really enjoy the USAF opendays at Mildenhall/Upper-Heyford ( when it was still there ) etc ......do they still do that in this post 9/11 paranoia ?

Does anyone know is there an annual open day at Balldonall ? wouldn't mind seeing those new PC9 going through their paces , I see them practising formation flying often ( I live nearby )

miju wrote:
    oh yeah and about how long does the air show last for and are there aircraft "on the ground" you get to look at up close etc????

sorry for obvious questions but never been to one before

You wont have any Fixed wing AC on the ground as Salthill is a sea side location and alot of our acts will be operating from Airports but you will have helo's. It lasts about three hours but thats open to debate this year as the Tbirds display is 40Mins so we may extend it. You will be allowed into the Helo's as soon as they have shut down, come over to me and say hi if you like i will be closing off the park in Salthill with the civil defence in perparation for the Heli's arriving, i wont be hard to miss il be the only one in the deserted park.:D with civil defence around the perimiter.:D

Accommodation will be hard to get as the moment we announced the Thunderbirds the Hotels bookings went through the roof!:D

• Advertisement

Field of view is excellent as they use the Car Park in Salthill as the Center Point and the Navy ship as a marker to find them and your laughing:D

Davidth88 wrote:

Does anyone know is there an annual open day at Balldonall ? wouldn't mind seeing those new PC9 going through their paces , I see them practising formation flying often ( I live nearby )

There is no real Open day but if you ring Baldonnel AB they will more than likely let you in for a tour. Real sound guys at EIME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

miju wrote:
    hey Steyr am thinking about buying the balcony thing for €150 and bringing my sprog to Galway from Dublin for the weekend.

Couple of questions:

1: If you dont get the balcony things is field of view still good?
    2: Is the hotel easy to find coming from Dublin?

thanks

Field of view, everythings in the air so not much of an issue.
    Don't stay over. Get the train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Davidth88 wrote:
    ....RoundyMooney , I always enjoyed Farnborough when I used to go but if you are taking kids or anyone you should remember the emphasis of that show is a trade show , so they are trying to sell the latest 4 seat trainer or whatever. Not gripping viewing IMO. ( maybe this has changed in the last 12 years , since I last went )....

I last went about 4 or 5 years ago and I thought it was a pretty decent airshow. Easy access into via public transport too. I though there was enough on the ground on display. The main halls though biz focused were interesting to wander about. Didn't have kids with me though.

Advertisement