Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xp drivers on vista

• 19-03-2007 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

Do xp drivers work ok on vista? Just wondering as I have a new vista machine and I want to use my modem and printer from the old xp machine on it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

Hook it up and see if it Vista has the drivers, if not you will need to download the Vista drivers from the manufacturers site.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

And what if they don't have them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not a whole lot you can do about it in that case except to try some of the generic drivers provided with Vista.

Bond-007 wrote:
    And what if they don't have them?

if they dont you may have to wait till they are released, chances are though that Vista will have them , especially if it is a new modem / printer.

What type of modem is it / and printer ?

have a look at this ..........

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/ed1e3b7d-5ea7-4ad3-be3f-af29f7b48dde1033.mspx?mfr=true

Draytek Mini vigor 128 isdn modem
    Cannon i455 printer.

• Advertisement

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

XP drivers will work in some cases as a last resort.

If the ISDN modem is not supported out of the box and no driver is available on Windows Update or on the manufactures website you can try using the XP drivers.

Copy/extract the XP drivers to a folder and make sure the drivers .inf is present in the folder/sub-folders now point Vista's driver update wizard as the folder containing the .inf and it will attempt to install the XP driver.

It appeared to install ok, but it kept shutting down the machine. I seem to be bolloxed now, hence me asking for any modem that will work. :(

Boot into safe mode and go into the device manager and right click the modem and select uninstall with the clean driver option ticked.

Now boot back into Vista normally and try using this driver instead of the previous one I linked to.

Failing that the best thing to do is uninstall the device if that is the case Draytreks site has no Vista drivers listed.

Be aware this is an ISDN modem not a regular old 56K modem.

You could try this internal card or this external one trust say "Vista driver coming soon."

• Advertisement

I think I may have to wait (pack computer away) until someone comes up with a device with vista drivers. I think it is criminal that vista has so little support atm. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bond-007 wrote:
    I think I may have to wait (pack computer away) until someone comes up with a device with vista drivers. I think it is criminal that vista has so little support atm. :mad:
    The manufacturers are to blame really, but then they are traditionally slow to update drivers. Vista had been available in beta for long enough, and MS have provided the support to manufacturers to update their drivers, so there's not really any excuse.

If you're going to produce a piece of hardware that won't take a generic driver set (for basic functionality), then you have a duty to promptly produce drivers that will work for your target audience.

8T8 wrote:
    trust say "Vista driver coming soon."

Makes you wonder really .... I mean Vista has been available to the public for a couple of months now, and to testers for much longer, but yet so many companies dont have drivers for their own products ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've had some success using XP drivers for a card reader on my laptop with Vista, but nothing more complicated than that I'm afraid. Everything else I've got either works out of the box (Canon IP5200 printer, onboard network card, etc) or has drivers available from the manufacturer's website (Creative soundcard, nVidia gfx etc).

Well is ISDN all that common any more in the home sector ?

I don't know what sort of setup Bond-007 has but DSL pretty much replaced ISDN so getting drivers for a brand new OS isn't going to be too easy given the onus is on the manufactures to create the driver if they did not supply one to Microsoft for inclusion in the operating system.

Bond-007 there is another way you can continue to use your ISDN line but it requires getting an expensive ISDN modem/router however the plus side is that it is OS neutral so no drivers required.

Edit: Here is a list of ISDN devices supported under Windows Vista out of the box so no driver required as you can see it is not a very big list. If you can find one of those that is your best course of action.

Edit 2: Looking into the compatibility chart a bit more it seems under the Eicon listing they list alternative product names for what appears to be a core device so there is a small chance some of the Eicon ISDN modems may work like this one.

The only other option would be a regular 56k dial up modem and use line 2 but getting a dialup modem working on vista is another can of worms.

ISDN is indeed common in the sticks with no broadband access. The ISDN box gives you 2 regular phone lines or 1 phone and 1 digital line for internet. You can fallback and use line 2 for analogue access. Hence asking about 56k modems.

I wouldn't worry two much about 56k modems a lot of generic chipsets are probably supported

Anyway do try what I suggested a few posts back with the other driver for the DrayTek ISDN modem as that came from their UK site it may be slightly different in some manner.

You could try emailing DrayTek UK or the international site as well and tell them the XP driver does not work under Vista.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamus wrote:
    The manufacturers are to blame really, but then they are traditionally slow to update drivers. Vista had been available in beta for long enough, and MS have provided the support to manufacturers to update their drivers, so there's not really any excuse.
    Most manufacturers just seem to want to sell new kit, and if you can't get drivers you can always buy a new card :rolleyes:
    If you are buying hardware have a look on the site to see how far back they support old cards.
    If you're going to produce a piece of hardware that won't take a generic driver set (for basic functionality), then you have a duty to promptly produce drivers that will work for your target audience.
    Target audience is the key word. Yes it costs money to write drivers, so that's a reason not to. But cost isn't the issue because in the case of Linux it costs nothing, all you need to do is release the specs and someone else will write the drivers. And guess what ? in lots of cases manufacturers won't release enough info to do this. In some cases with wireless cards there are legitimate reasons why a company might not want to do this. For almost everything else it's just a slap in the face of the punters who pay for the cards.

Back in the days, Singer used to give trade in's on old sewing machines. They would then destroy the old machines to remove them from the market.

Advertisement