Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single Handed

• 19-03-2007 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone catch this last night? It was almost enough to restore my faith in RTE (along with the excellent documentary on Gaybo last night too).

It was really well done, the acting, the story, the directing, everything was excellent and I can't wait for the next part. My only criticism was about the radio show that was being broadcast at the start (it was in the background) and it made it sound like there are only 5 or 6 people in the whole of the west of Ireland. But it's easily forgiven.

Anyone else watch it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I saw it too. I was very impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

BY RTE standards it was just about ok.

Most of it is taken up by the garda driving around in his jeep.

The view of rural ireland is also pretty streo-typed and out-dated.

Does RTE think that this represents the west of Ireland??

It was watchable but it was pretty poor.

Maybe we'll see the pig in the parlour tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

I enjoyed it, at least it's not as bad as Trouble in Paradise which takes beating. I've seen the Gaybo programme before but it was still amusing seeing how RTE did not bend to the different bishops "outrage" or their demands to have the Late Late taken off the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭ianrush

Thought it was awful. RTE's idea of drama would barely pass for an average episode of murder she wrote. Speaking to one insider recently, apparently the drama department is an absolute shambles at the moment, which is quite evident in their most recent productions. The sooner Jane Gogan and the rest go the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I thought is was terrible too. Like Cork said the depiction of rural Ireland was unbelievebly stereo-typical - I lol'ed when I saw the old woman hanging out her washing with the rough seas in the background. When I finished laughing, I turned it off.

• Advertisement

Do you never think some of the stereotypes might be true...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

I was impressed. Good plot, bit slow moving though. Anyone know where exactly it was filmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I thought is was terrible too. Like Cork said the depiction of rural Ireland was unbelievebly stereo-typical - I lol'ed when I saw the old woman hanging out her washing with the rough seas in the background. When I finished laughing, I turned it off.

Funny that this show was orginally set in Wales.

I only saw the first episode and I was very impressed by everything.

I thought the senic footage was incredible and very beautiful.

I didn't think it was sterotypical at all in actual fact I cann't remember when I have seen someone hang out out their washing with rough seas in the background but it cann't be that unusual since we live on an Island after all :)

The sooner Jane Gogan and the rest go the better.

She has only just arrived, bring back Mary Callery all is forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

Have to say I liked it too. Although - watching the 2nd part of it, I partly guessed things weren't going to go so well for the start crossed lovers once yer man announced he didn't bury the baby after all. Why are characters only introduced in a programme if there is direct relevance to the plot? I know that sounds a bit of a misnomer, but as soon as the nurse appeared I was trying to figure out where she would fit in with the whole midsomer murder scenario.

The guy on the radio was hilarious - totally droll.

Must go and visit Connemara tho - looks great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

ZorbaTehZ wrote:

There are still people who hang out their washing even if it looks as if it might rain. My mother and at least one of my sister's plus some neighbours hang out the washing on showery days but keep an eye out for the rain then dash out to take it in once it actually starts raining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

I thought it was OK. I agree the portrayal of the west of Ireland was cliched in the extreme but I put that down to the script being written by a Welshman.
    The scenery was great and the twist at the end was genuinely shocking, i didn't see it coming at all.

Apparently, there's going to be another series of it during the winter, with a different case.

honestly, all you needed at the end was someone to say the line "forget about it, it's just connemara". RTE drama is about as subtle as a hammer to the head. They seem to think that drama must
    1:Have zero entertainment value.
    2:Consist of either a murder or a rape or hopefully both because that's what all serious dramas have.

Things are only going to get worse too from what I've heard. Prepare yerselves!! Trouble in paradise will look like the sopranos!

Prepare yerselves!! Trouble in paradise will look like the sopranos!

That sounds very like a line from Trouble in Paradise, did you write that load of tripe????

Elmo wrote:
    That sounds very like a line from Trouble in Paradise, did you write that load of tripe????
    I thought trouble in paradise was a documentary. Someone wrote it?
    To follow on from a previous post, I heard today that there are a couple of contenders actively positioning themselves already to take over from Jane Gogan. She's only been there since last summer but it seems if she doesn't have a big hit soon she may not last long.

To follow on from a previous post, I heard today that there are a couple of contenders actively positioning themselves already to take over from Jane Gogan. She's only been there since last summer but it seems if she doesn't have a big hit soon she may not last long.

Well I would say that Single Handed was a hit or a miss. We forget that prehaps that a simple show is sometimes just what RTE need.

However Rough Diamond was way to twee Irish and simple in the extreem for my liking.

Advertisement