Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tried & tested coddle recipies

• 19-03-2007 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

wondered if anyone's got a good coddle recipie? i haven't had it in years & really want to try making it myself...i know it involves potatoes, rashers/bacon & sausages, but cant remember what else, just that it was heavenly...thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

The way I do it is make up about a pint of chicken stock and simmer the sausages and chopped-up rashers in it for 5mins, about 1:2 amount of rashers:sausages. Remove them and slice up the sausages. Slice a few potatoes, chopping one up quite fine to thicken the mixture, and an onion. Put it all back into the pot of stock, de-skin some white pudding and crumble it in too. Simmer for 1hr, covered; season at the end. Simple but tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

mmm coddle, i literally just mopped up a few servings of my mothers finest about ten minutes ago. you cant beat it.
    saw an interesting version of it on saturday cooks the other day tho. fry the sausages a bit just to seal them, but still pink inside, put shredded cabbage a few thick rashers, sliced up, some chopped up carrots and some chopped up potatoes into a bowl along with the sausages chopped up and mix well. plonk the mixture into a casserole dish and cover with more sliced potatoes and then pour stock over it and bung into the oven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I saw that on Saturday Kitchen too & thought that it was a complete bästardisation of a coddle. The sausages were obviously browned to make it more appealing to a british audience. * shudder *

My coddle would have an equal portions of sausages to rashers (or preferably bacon). Without a doubt - real rashers (pale back) are required. None of this Denny/Galtee/etc. Hickory Smoked malarky. For the best results I think that the shredded leftovers from a joint of boiled/baked ham is your only man.

Here's my recipe:
    600g decent pork sausages
    600g real rashers (thick cut with rind removed) or leftover boiled/baked ham shredded
    1 large onion, finely sliced
    2 leeks, quartered & finely chopped
    1l of vegetable stock
    1kg potatoes, sliced ½ inch thick
    bayleaf
    sprig of fresh thyme
    parsley, finely chopped

In a pot add meat, then onions, leeks & herbs. Top off with potatoes & vegetable stock. Stock should almost (but not quite) cover the spuds.
    Bring to the boil & then simmer gently for 1 hour.

Check from time to time towards the end of cooking to make sure that there's enough liquid. Add a dribble of water if necessary. When done the spuds should be tender, but not mushy.

Now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

My mum always made it with leftover bacon or ham from a joint - she never used rashers.

Allow 4 good pork sausages (as these are the real treat in a coddle), 1 small sliced kidney , as much bacon/ham as possible from the joint, 1 carrot and two waxy potatoes per person (double this for two, triple it for three, etc.).

Put all your meat into a large pot. Peel, quarter and rinse your potatoes. Peel and slice your carrots. Finely chop one onion (not one per person - just the one for everybody!). Add your vegetables to the pot.

Cover the whole lot with cold water and season well with salt and pepper. Allow to come to the boil, simmer well, and serve when your meat is cooked and the potatoes are tender. Although the sausages may look a little grey, they are absolutely delicious. Eat with a nice crusty loaf for the juices. Mmm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mand two waxy potatoes per person (double this for two, triple it for three, etc.).
    So that's 4 per person if cooking for 2 and 6 person if cooking for 3, etc.???

Jaysis, you'd need some big ass pot if you were making it for the whole family!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Ha, apologies for poor sentence structure. If making a coddle for one, use two spuds. If making a coddle for two, use four spuds. If making a coddle for three, use six spuds. See? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah I knew what you meant. I was just taking the P ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

Probably a sin to do this to coddle but I absolutely love it...

Good Pork Sausages (superquinn are good)
    Leftover ham or bacon or cut up gammon steaks
    2 potatoes per person
    Large Onion &
    The piece de resistance......white pudding about one tube if buying it ready packed or half a ring if its from the butchers. Dont get the grany one though, it has to be smooth.

Unusual but really is the nicest thing ever....served with a lump of batch bread.

Advertisement