Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock results....what about targets for leaving cert?

• 19-03-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Now that most people have got their results back, what are you aiming for in the real thing?

How many more points will you be looking for compared to your mocks?

Is 100 more points a bit too adventurous?!

Just looking for opinions, as I got 400 points in the mocks, but looking to break 500 for the leaving cert.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

sternn wrote:
    Is 100 more points a bit too adventurous?!

No. If I got the same in the real thing as I did in the pres, I'd be pretty delighted....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I've gotten 4 exams back and so far have 305/400 points.

3 exams to get back and I'm expecting to average about a B2 in each of them, I'm probably going to end up with around 480. not that it's relevant to my 355 points course, but I'd like to break 550, and I definitely think I can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I've only got two results back so far - Maths and English - and I'm hoping to hit around 350 for the mocks with the expectation of being able to bring it up to mid 400s in the Leaving Cert. I'm in a strange position because I'm capable of ~500 if I dedicate a lot of time to it, but I don't think that would be very advantageous to me as I still wouldn't qualify for a scholarship (minimum of 560 points required) and I'm pretty much guarenteed my first choice given my current rate of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Some people in my school are taking the attitude that they have achieved 350/400 points, they can relax now until the leaving cert, and hoping they will get the same. I think that is very wrong, because at least 50% of them knew what was comming up on the mocks because of this site and friends...I think it just gives them higher standards for the real thing, and when they see thier results, they will be disappointed.

Also, looking for past leaving cert people, what were your differences in points for mocks and points for leaving cert? e.g. higher / lower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Sure anything's doable from your mocks. The whole point is to LEARN from what you did wrong in the mock and try to improve exam technique. Generally, going up a grade is the norm between mocks and the Leaving. Last year, I went up from 460 to 520, although four exams were basically the same result. But if you have the course done and revised in a certain subject, and underachieve, maybe it's your study style or exam technique that's at fault.

For example, in Physics I improved my grade substantially by hammering into exam papers and learning from the marking schemes. Don't worry if your a bit off your points after doing the mocks, they're an indication of where you are in Feb/March, remember, and all that really counts is what you learn from them.

Anyway, that's my experience, hope that helps. =)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I got 405. Need 510. Last year's sixth years, some of them went up by 115 points or so, which is encouraging. Not making excuses, but ours were marked so damn hard. Even the teachers said so.

Looking for an A1 in geography, A2's in history and irish, b1/possible a2 in english, b3 in french and c1 in biology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Here were my results in 2006. All higher level.
    mocks Leaving Cert
    Irish b3 c3
    English d1 b3
    Maths b2 a1
    Geography a1 a1
    German a1 a1
    Physics c2 a2
    accounting a2 b3

I went up a huge amount in physics and a large enough in english. However I wanted an a1 in accounting and b1 in irish but I fell. And I actually didn neglect these subjects! Even though I got a c2 in physics in the mocks I wanted an a1 in it and accounting. Was disappointed. To be honest I didn to a tap of irish between the mocks and the real thing. Thats what happen. Was still one hundred points over what I needed but anyway. I got 540 in the end. I probably should have gotten 575

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Overall got 445

<What I Got> -- <What I want>
    English 79 C1 -- Anything B
    Irish 84 B1 -- Pass so couldnt care less
    Maths 57 C3 -- EEK , hopefully a high B in real thing
    French 67 C1 -- Once more , anything B
    Physics 85 A2 -- Not gonna be cocky , same again please
    Chemistry 85 A2 -- See above
    T D 70 B3 -- Really I want an A from this and it should be possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I did sfa work for the mocks and got 345. Study from now on and hopefully I'll break the 400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

i got 555points for the mocks really happy about this. i put alot of work in though. i think if you put in the work there is no reason why you shouldnt go up by 100 points

:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

lol , what you say you got in math :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I got 475 in the mocks, and I'm aiming to at least break 500, if not 550. I need a max of 380 for Arts (that's if the points take a huge leap), but I want to see my LC results reflect the six years of education I just put myself through. It's not unrealistic or anything to go up by 100 points, I'd say it's rather achievable if you just put your mind to it.
    Is 560 the minimum needed for a scholarship anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,407 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well, not fully sure what my total points are yet, should be over 300 though. From after Easter though, I'm gonna have to start going training only one night a week, cos I really do wanna break the 400 mark. That'd be me happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

got 290 in the mocks, I need about 300 so after that I am happy as my first choice requires about 275 points from last year.
    Couldent care less about points once I break 300+ to secure my college place:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭euwwy deuwwy

I got 385 in my mocks, I was basically screwed for them , I wouldn't have even got that high if it wasn't for some tips from this site. Anyways, apart from the actual week of my mocks I basically did no work. It was a bit of a wake up call since I got my results and I've really started to get down to business. The course I'm hoping to do is 495 points and despite what alot of people are saying I'm confident I can get that. We've got roughly ten weeks left and in my oppinion its definitally not too late to bring up your mock results by 100+ points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I got 425 in the mocks, 110 over what I need. Now I have to focus on not getting lazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,407 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Looking likely I'll end up ~320 points from the Mocks, not the best, but clearly not the worst either. Arts is what i'm going for, and from the results, I can se emyself where improvement needs to be made, and I'm already working on changing that.

Mushy wrote:
    Looking likely I'll end up ~320 points from the Mocks, not the best, but clearly not the worst either. Arts is what i'm going for, and from the results, I can se emyself where improvement needs to be made, and I'm already working on changing that.

We're more or less in the same boat points wise, goe team us!

Sorry, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I need about 100 points more in the real thing to get into what I want. I've half given up hope on that at this stage and am looking more towards my second option, which is still 70 points more! Yep, I'm pretty screwed...

Don't think of it like that, just keep tryyyying! I mean, I've given up on Trinners after the mocks 'cause of maths. But you, you have hope....RUN WITH IT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

these wer my pres (all HL) :
    english A2 (id be lucky to get that in the actual thing :D)
    irish B1 (happy enough.maybe try pushing it up to A2)
    maths C2 (very happy with this.might try to bring myself up to B2 or B3)
    physics B3 (i want an A1 in this.our pre paper was rock hard)
    biology B3 (heh! that was a fluke.still,we didnt have the course coverd.by june,i am hoping for A2..A1 if i have a really nice examiner :D)
    geography B2 (this annoyed me:i felt i deserved way more.along with physics,i want an A1 in this)
    french B2 (ah,french...how little work i did for it.:p with a bit of study,i might even manage an A1 or A2)

so 485 in the pres...for the actual LC im just gonna do my best.try for as close to 600 as i can.whatever happens,im confident i'll get my points (480)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I got 530 in my pres. Looking for around the same in the leaving cert, just need to keep the head down in the books these days and all shall be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I need about 100 points more in the real thing to get into what I want. I've half given up hope on that at this stage and am looking more towards my second option, which is still 70 points more! Yep, I'm pretty screwed...

Same, I need about 105 more. Just keep working steadily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭snapjiggyfluff

All my mocks are finally back!!!
    Maths(H) 46%-don't really care, dropped back to pass
    Irish(H)-80%-happy with it, hopefully push up to an A2
    English(H)-83%-happy again but I'd like to push it up to an A1
    History(H)-93%-delighted!!! More of the same please!!
    Geogrphy(H)-78%-bit dissapointed, hoping for an A1
    German(H)-79%-just a bit more! B1/A2 would be nice
    Chemistry(H)-74%-dissapointed, want a B1

505 in total! Really happy, 555 is the aim, but I'd take 540! Not that long to go, might as well get down to it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

ya i got 455 in my mocks, and am hopeful to get 510/520 in June!! Totally ppossible for all g'luck!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Haven't gotten all of mine back yet..

History got B2 - want A2/A1 in LC
    English got B3 in P1 - want A2/B1 in LC
    Maths (pass) - D1 in P1 - C3 in LC
    Biology D1 - B1 for LC
    Irish (P1) C2 - C1 in LC
    HOME EC - C1 - B1/A2 in LC

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

Mock result Aim for LC
    Maths 56 % C3 B1
    Chemistry 58 % C3 A1/A2
    Biology 77 % B2 A1
    Physics 81 % B1 A1
    Music 84 % B1 B1/A2
    French 81 % B1 B1/A2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Thread risen from the dead!

I got about 430 in my Mocks, 10 points off the course I want. I'm pretty sure I'll get the points I need. Would be nice to hit 500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If I maintain what I got in the mocks i'll be delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i got about 390 in my mocks :(
    studying loads and hope i can bring it up to 440
    i'm confident i can bring my french up 4% at least to an A1(i was quite happy with the A2 as my teacher marks things really harshly)
    i think i can bring my accounting up a grade too and english up a couple of grades as i really messed up my timing and know what to do now

Advertisement