Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Licence question.

• 19-03-2007 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭

I have a pc desktop and a Macbook. While I do prefer OSX over Windows, I do like my games as well so Vista will have to be a requirement in the future, what with DX10. Vista Ultimate will allow you to install it twice, one physical and the other virtual. Does a Dual boot scenario count as virtual (doubt it) and if not what would you reckon to be the best option? Buy 2 copies? Get a cheap upgrade version for my lappy seeing as its only for the odd bout of gaming that isn't WoW? Or can you just install the same copy over a few machines anyway?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm having problems finding a solid answer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Although the retail/OEM license says you cannot run Vista Home basic or Home Premium in a VM there is nothing actually stopping you from doing it & they work just fine.

The Ultimate version is officially sanctioned to run in a VM but you still require an additional license for the VM if you have already used the serial key for a normal install like through Bootcamp as far as my understanding goes. I do not have the Ultimate version so have not tested out that scenario myself.

So I believe that means two copies no matter what (unless someone has info to the contrary) you don't really need the Ultimate version either in fact a copy of Home Premium is all you need if you want the eye candy enabled* through Bootcamp at least.

* As far as I know the Aero Glass UI is not supported in Parallels naturally because it is a VM and Aero uses a DX9 class GPU to do the rendering, the latest beta's show off 3D support I think (or was that Mac VMWare?) but support was limited to DX8 class games so the fancy UI is unlikely to be enabled in the VM anytime soon.

So with that in mind the Vista Home Basic version may be worth considering for the VM if you still want Vista running though that avenue as Home Basic does not support the GPU accelerated Aero Glass UI & costs cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Coyler

Yeah, I figured as much. I really need info on the Bootcamp install ( probably considered a physical install by windows ) because while the VM option is handy for a few things it doesn't cut it for gaming as you point out.

I looked into this furthur. You can get a family discount but those are upgrade keys. Could there be a problem installing clean with those keys using Ultimate retail disc? Seems it can be done and its legal. Am I missing something?

The family discount last I heard is only available in North America.

Yes it is possible to install cleanly using the upgrade key but it would be cheaper (if buying locally) to just buy a copy of Home Premium for Bootcamp & Home Basic for the VM I think or use XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Coyler wrote:
    Yeah, I figured as much. I really need info on the Bootcamp install ( probably considered a physical install by windows ) because while the VM option is handy for a few things it doesn't cut it for gaming as you point out.

I looked into this furthur. You can get a family discount but those are upgrade keys. Could there be a problem installing clean with those keys using Ultimate retail disc? Seems it can be done and its legal. Am I missing something?

Upgrade disk just needs to verify that you had a previous version of windows, it prompts you to put in a Windows XP cd to verify.

Blitz wrote:
    Upgrade disk just needs to verify that you had a previous version of windows, it prompts you to put in a Windows XP cd to verify.

Not so with Vista an install of Windows (XP or Vista) must be present on the HD for the upgrade process to proceed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement