Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adding Air Con to an Astra?

Options
  • 19-03-2007 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Does anyone know if its possible or economically viable to add air con to a car after its purchased? Say, to a 2000 Astra, that doesn't have air con.

Or anyone know any mobile air con units for cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It would be possible but it's certainly not "viable". Probably cost around €2000 to get this done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It is possible, but it's expensive to the point where it's not economically viable. Expect to spend €2,000-2,500, none of which will be seen back at resale. Air conditioning compressors are run off the engine rather than the battery, thus ruling out mobile units. Astras with a/c are relatively common, i'd recommend just buying a car that has factory a/c.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not worth the bother, just buy a higher spec car with A/C and other little extras that the Astra doesn't have.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Higher spec Astras have a/c.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Finding A/C on the 1998 - 2004 Astra would be fairly difficult. Any of the higher spec models I saw had a sunroof. Really only the Coupe or Cabrio had it. A/C is alot more common on the current Astra though from 2004 onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Definitely not worth the cost involved - spend the money more wisely by trading up.

Get a Vectra (never thought I'd say that!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Are you drunk? :D

p.s. Vectra's really are rubbish.

Jesus! did I write that? I meant get a Focus Ghia or something ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

As far as I remember that type of Astra only had a/c if it was a coupe or Cabrio(and even then only the expensive ones). Of course, Ireland was special enogh to have that 'distinction'. Astras of that vintage had air con in most versions across the pond.The current Astra fortunately has had it as standard in all versions bar the Life model since launch(including the pre facelifted version). Its hardly worth the bother retrofitting chilled air, unless of course the Astra had a 'pre' kit, like the ones Mitsubishis in the 90s had, which should make it a lot cheaper to do.

• Advertisement

High spec Astras usually had sunroofs. Just get something else!

Advertisement