Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok so i got.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Looks like a nice little setup you got there.

Are you planning on doing everything on the PC and recording through the M-Audio interface you have there (just skimmed through the links, presume that's a USB interface for the PC) and then controlling everything with the MIDI keyboards?

I'd recommend getting a small mixer with a few inputs if you'd like to have everything going into a hardware board and having physical controls over the sounds of the things you're outputting from the PC but this may be a bit of overkill if you're running things out of the PC, into the mixer and then into the USB interface/soundcard etc.

Have you any actual "instruments" (like if you want to play the basslines yourself instead of synthesising them or you have an actual synth)? If so then you may want a mixer.

I've got a Soundcraft Spirit Folio Lite (got it for free and use it all the time) which is a nice mixer if you're looking for something like a mixing desk but in a very small size. A Spirit Folio Notebook may also suit, I've seen a couple going on eBay for around €150 - €200 and also saw then new in Musicmaker for a good bit more than that (can't remember how much though).

Good reliable little mixer but don't think you'd really need one if you're doing everything through Reason and VSTs hosted in it.

I use the mixer because I like to be able to play everything physically out in front of me. My setup includes 2xturnables running into a DJ mixer, EMU ESI2000 sampler being controlled by an ancient Yamaha PSR220 keyboard, Line6 Toneport UX2 and various guitars/bass which all in turn run into the Soundcraft mixer. I can then record all my samples and play them back using the sampler into the UX2 and record onto the PC/laptop.

A mixer may be overkill for your situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Cheers steve, yeah the plan is to do everything through reason(for the time being anyway. Whats your opinion on a subwoofer - is it necessary, got talking to a dj in a club and he recommended getting a woofer, esprecially for Dnb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Wow, thats a lot of equipment to buy for someone just starting :)

You have everything you need for the time being really. You don't need a woofer I don't think. The monitors are fine for just making your tracks.

I would recommend getting away from Reason after a while though.

Anima wrote:
    Wow, thats a lot of equipment to buy for someone just starting :)

You have everything you need for the time being really. You don't need a woofer I don't think. The monitors are fine for just making your tracks.

I would recommend getting away from Reason after a while though.

Why not a fan of reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

It is good but you can't use VSTs with it or record stuff into it. Its all self contained which imo leads to a samey kind of sound from it. There is a lot of room for modulation though with the rack system. Still Cubase or something similar with some high quality VSTs and samples would be a better option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

OP - check this month's Sound on Sound magazine for a good article on subwoofers.

Howdy..
    really, if your just going to use reason, which is fair enough,as you can do pretty much anything with it,then i dont know if theres really any need for the two keyboards..and you will at some stage surely want to record something over a track, so youll want a rewire host, cos recording into reason is a pain in the hole(it can be done through a sampler though)..
    And is there any matching subwoofer for the monitors..(is there generally some matching woofer youre supposed to use with a set of monitors?)
    Squibbs man thats a legend of a sig..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I have to agree there... Reason will get you through the years of learning and quite a few gigs, then you'll find it constrictive - going to cubase/nuendo for the 'rewire' host if definately a good path because you can then replace parts in reason that are too weedy (reason runs at the same time meaning you can mute / replace old parts with new ones)

There are some awesome DnB Refills for reason, but what is in it alone should see you good for a few years.

Go and check out other peoples setups :) - if you hear exactly what you like, ask a lot of questions! :)

I actually got Cubasis vst 4.0 free with the soundcard, anybody use this? Any good

Also i bought reason 3.0 on ebay and when i go to register it its coming up as already registered - i take it this is a big problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

empirix wrote:
    I actually got Cubasis vst 4.0 free with the soundcard, anybody use this? Any good

Also i bought reason 3.0 on ebay and when i go to register it its coming up as already registered - i take it this is a big problem
    Hmm, did you buy it from a private seller or from a store on eBay?

It may be that they just sold on their own copy but didn't "unregister" themselves... If it's someone who sold you their own copy then it's already registered. You could mail them and ask if they can unregister but not sure what the beef is with registration as I've never used Reason before.

If it's a store then make a gripe that it won't work and let them try to sort it out...

As for a sub, are you planning on doing gigs and all with the gear? Presumably you are after spending all that money. If you're willing to pop another few quid on some gear grab a crossover and an active sub and then throw the speakers on the high channel and the woofer on the low.

Something like this should sort you out

http://www.thomann.de/ie/samson_s3.htm

I'm not big on studio gear but presumably those three outputs are speakers left, speakers right and sub. A low pass filter will filter out all the highs and send them to the sub output and the other two may have some sort of high pass filter to take out the bass.

Of course if you're gigging you'll need to get some big ass speakers and a sub then if you're wanting to do things with heavy thumping bass. You may also need an amp unless you get active speakers.

From the look of the speakers you've bought there's no need for a sub until you start gigging as the speakers you bought are just monitors, perfect for sitting at home making some music but no good for filling a whole room full of people.

Also they can still be used for their proper purpose, being pointed towards you so you can hear what's going on with all the kit while the speakers pump everything out towards the crowd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

empirix wrote:

Goto http://www.propellerheads.se/ the main propellerheads site for reason and give them all the details of the seller and the serials numbers you have with the reason you brought (this will nail the user as they are not supposed to sell reason on) - eBay of course will help negotiate a refund with the seller or even make a dispute claim with paypal if the seller tries to get out of it... theres lots of angles to sort yourself out there.

Advertisement