Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters in Music Technology

• 19-03-2007 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hey folks, I'm graduating this year from a computing degree but I've decided that its not what I want to do. Ive decided that I want to go into music. Can anybody tell me anything about the masters course in music technology. What does it qualify you for and what are the career opertunities it offers? Ive been told by a sound engineer that its **** hard to get a job these days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

See, the thing about subjects like sound engineering is that if you're into it you'll make a career out of it anyway; I know 2 great sound enginneers and neither of them went to college.

On the other hand, it would be a great place to make contacts, etc.

All imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

They concentrate more on trying to turn us into electronic composers than sound engineers in the undergrad course but heres the postgrad page for you
    http://music.nuim.ie/musictec/courses.shtml
    You should contact Victor Lazzarini as well if you have questions, he's the head of music tech in maynooth and fairly sound as well so he should sort you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

dont do a music tech course if you expect to walk into a job after it you would be better of teaching yourself and trying to persuade a live engineer(you wont get a studio assistant job) to let you be his "apprentice"(no one in the business calls it that its just an easy way toget the message across)

do a music tech course coz ur really into the music and want to learn as much as possible with no expectations at the end of it

doing a music tech course does not make you a sound engineer or a music producer or anything even close unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 skantflock

I did a sound engineering course that cost me alot of money ,I thought it was a sound investment as when i went for the interview they told me there was hundreds of jobs available in the industry

WRONG !

I tryed for a year to find a job as an engineer with zero luck, In the audio industry its not what you know its who you know, most studios managers will give jobs to a friend or a family member before they would a qualified engineer, I found that out the hard way

Advertisement