Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

POLO - Anyone ever change "lights on" buzzer unit??

Options
  • 19-03-2007 6:57pm

Hi i was wondering if anyone has ever done this and how. My car is a 99 1.0L std model 5 door VW polo. the buzzer never works these times and needs changing

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did it used to work? if not, are you sure there is one there?

kbannon wrote:
    Did it used to work? if not, are you sure there is one there?

yeah it used to work. works odd time since i bought car back in october. tempermental yolk

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is your drivers door light switch working?

colm_mcm wrote:
    is your drivers door light switch working?

yeah for all door lights

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The buzzer is part of the instrument cluster and is not available as a spare part. You will need to change the whole instrument cluster.

I've never heard of the buzzer unit itself going faulty. The fact that the interior light works is not an indication that the buzzer is faulty. Thy fault is most likely in the light switch or door lock. I'm not 100% sure about a 99 Polo, but the door contact switch could be part of the door lock - can you see the plunger switch?

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote:
    The buzzer is part of the instrument cluster and is not available as a spare part. You will need to change the whole instrument cluster.

I've never heard of the buzzer unit itself going faulty. The fact that the interior light works is not an indication that the buzzer is faulty. Thy fault is most likely in the light switch or door lock. I'm not 100% sure about a 99 Polo, but the door contact switch could be part of the door lock - can you see the plunger switch?

hi sorry for delay. yeah the two switches are on each front door or thereabouts and are in the 'interior lights on' state if thats what you are referring to, i suppose my best bet would be to ask a motor factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

it would be worth your while to unscrew the drivers side door switch and clean the connections. it may have 2 wires attached, one for the interior light and the other to activate the warning buzzer. when cleaned apply some vaseline and refit.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Just had a quick look at a diagram for the up to 99 model Polo. It looks like the buzzer is in the cluster but there is quite a bit more that could cause it not to work.
    Drivers door switch has 2 circuits, buzzer and light.
    Main Light switch could effect it.
    Check/change fuses 7 and 8 (both 10 amp)

I would look at the switch first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I reckon there will be 3 wires attached to the plug (one for buzzer and one for interior light) which has one rounded side so it can't be incorrectly fitted. It's a few years since I worked in VW dealer, but iirc, I fitted plenty of these - they are not expensive so would be a good place to start. Part number is 6N0 947 563 - but check with a dealer to be sure.

Later models have this switch integrated into the lock itself. Bear in mind that the buzzer relies on a 'lights on' signal being sent from the light switch.......

Advertisement