Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

disgruntled Irish supporter

• 19-03-2007 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭

Having to endure and follow the Irish team, has become as painfull as perpetual trips to the dentist. The team is mismanaged by a novice , out of his depth, appointed by a supposed saviour who seams to have lost the plot , i.e. Delaney, and a bunch of players unfit to wear the same jersey as worn by McGrath, Moran, Keane (Roy), Townsend etc etc . In comparison the Irish rugby and cricket teams , with a much smaller playing base , play there respective sports attractivly, committed and competitivly. After the debacle in San Marino, many here said we were going to let Staunton and Delaney have it come Croker time , so what will the response be like on Saturday ? , I suspect once again Stan will be let of the hook , and I will return to watching competetive and commited Irish sportmen , who play cricket and rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

had you got a point?

oh...oh i see what we're doing here...

stan out! err...delaney is a muppeh! o'shea sucks! shay given rules! no heart! not fit to wear the green! croker for gaa only!! qualification! put 'em under pressure! ole ole! rabble rabble...

ok, i think that just about covers a whole new thread on the irish soccer team. ive just saved us alot of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

thebaz wrote:
    appointed by a supposed saviour who seams to have lost the plot , i.e. Delaney
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Heh, was there not already about 3 or 4 ''**** Staunton, Delaney, FAI'' threads going back 6/7/8 months ago? Did the OP only see the Cyprus and San Marino matches today or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

thebaz wrote:
    The team is mismanaged by a novice ,.

Plenty of teams are managed by novices. You're only bothered by that fact cos they're not winning. Would it be better if they were hopeless and managed by a more experienced person?
    thebaz wrote:
    appointed by a supposed saviour who seams to have lost the plot , i.e. Delaney,.

Are you on drugs? Delaney? Saviour? Ffs.....
    thebaz wrote:
    In comparison the Irish rugby and cricket teams , with a much smaller playing base , play there respective sports attractivly, committed and competitivly..

How many countries actually play these sports? The Ireland cricket team is muck yet is at the WC. Jump on their bandwagon all you like.
    thebaz wrote:
    After the debacle in San Marino, many here said we were going to let Staunton and Delaney have it come Croker time , so what will the response be like on Saturday ? , .

If they win, everything will be fine, if they lose, the leprechaun-kitted fools will be foaming at the mouth trying to chant stuff that they've heard from Premiership fans on Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Agreed with Staunton. It was a gamble. Sometimes the gambles pay off (ie. Keane at Sunderland), sometimes they don't.

I could stomach Ireland losing if they were at least trying to play good football, or if the tactics were right but the players weren't experienced.

As it stands we are playing bad football under lamentable tactics.

A few things stand out as makingme suspect Staunton's head for the job, most notably the Carsley debacle.

I think he'll have to resign to go. I think there will be pressure if we lose the upcoming games but I can't see him being sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Zebra3 wrote:
    How many countries actually play these sports? The Ireland cricket team is muck yet is at the WC. Jump on their bandwagon all you like.
    That's a bit harsh, even if every country in the world played Rugby and Cricket, we'd still expect to see San Marino off easily and at least give Cyprus a good game.
    If they win, everything will be fine, if they lose, the leprechaun-kitted fools will be foaming at the mouth trying to chant stuff that they've heard from Premiership fans on Sky.
    I think you'll find a lot of people who follow irish football aren't too happy with Stan's performances or Delaney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Zebra3 wrote:
    Plenty of teams are managed by novices. You're only bothered by that fact cos they're not winning. Would it be better if they were hopeless and managed by a more experienced person?

ok one of the best supported teams in europe deserve the assistant manager of walsall as there manager --- i'm bothered by the lack of passion in the team , drawaing with San Marino , and losing to Cyprus isn't accpetable to me, maybe thats ok for you.

Zebra3 wrote:
    Are you on drugs? Delaney? Saviour? Ffs.....
    Zebra3 wrote:
    Yeah man, i'm on hard drugs , Delaney was meant to be one of the better ones in the FAI, less corrupt than some of the other fools, and masterminding Genesis.

Zebra3 wrote:

If the Irish cricket team is muck and about to qualify into the Super 8, what would you clasify our football team that can draw from a massive professional playing pool, but havn't put a decent run together since 2002.
    Zebra3 wrote:

Sorry , but if we beat Wales everything won't be fine, Irish football stinks at the moment, Staunton should have gone after San Marino, but the Leprechaun-kitted fools will be supporting him on Saturday -- are you one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Lads I think you're all going to have to accept the fact that Ireland simply don't have the players at the moment.

Granted the Cyprus/San Marino horror shows should not happen. What we have is a mediocre bunch of players under a very mediocre manager lacking cohesien, experience, leadership and any semblence of tactical prowess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

thebaz wrote:
    but the Leprechaun-kitted fools will be supporting him on Saturday -- are you one ?

I am one of those fools who will supporting the team on Saturday. Should I boo them..or maybe cheer on Wales?

Of course Staunton is inexperienced and the results are terrible...buit being a football supporter means thick and thin. Will you be hoping for another bad result...? The results seem to be annoying you (as they do anyone who suports the national team) yet you call anyone who will cheer on the team hoping for a decent performance and result a fool....contradicting yourself?

Collie D wrote:
    I am one of those fools who will supporting the team on Saturday. Should I boo them..or maybe cheer on Wales?

Of course Staunton is inexperienced and the results are terrible...buit being a football supporter means thick and thin. Will you be hoping for another bad result...? The results seem to be annoying you (as they do anyone who suports the national team) yet you call anyone who will cheer on the team hoping for a decent performance and result a fool....contradicting yourself?

After the San Marino farce , there were pages on here with disgruntled supporters , who were going to boo at Croker, until Stan left ... i predicted at the time this dissent wouldn't last .... but i for one, haven't forgot the disgracefull performances against Cyprus and San Marino, and having witnessed the pride, passion and skill shown by our cricket and rugby team ... am appaled that Stan is still in charge .... why Kerr was replaced by Stan is comical .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

thebaz wrote:
    .... but i for one, haven't forgot the disgracefull performances against Cyprus and San Marino,

Three cheers for you. And you started this thread why?

By the way you don't have to endure anything. You don't have to go to the game and you don't have to watch it.

Three cheers for you. And you started this thread why?

By the way you don't have to endure anything. You don't have to go to the game and you don't have to watch it.

I take it then your happy to have the assistant manager of Walsall as our National manager, and your happy with our performances in the group -- you must be easily pleased . I have supported the Irish team since pre Jack Charlton, and what we have now is not worth supporting in my opinion -- we deserve better than sacking Brian Kerrr and replacing him with the assistant manager of Walsall -- well i certainly expect more , maybe not you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

thebaz wrote:
    I take it then your happy to have the assistant manager of Walsall as our National manager, and your happy with our performances in the group -- you must be easily pleased . I have supported the Irish team since pre Jack Charlton, and what we have now is not worth supporting in my opinion -- we deserve better than sacking Brian Kerrr and replacing him with the assistant manager of Walsall -- well i certainly expect more , maybe not you.

Just so we can cut down on the need to have the words "assistant manager of Walsall" in every single sentence, he was never Walsalls assistant manager. He was a player/coach of some sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

thebaz wrote:

Did I say I was happy? I asked why you started a thread to go over the same crap that's been covered in 10 other threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

cson wrote:
    Lads I think you're all going to have to accept the fact that Ireland simply don't have the players at the moment.

Granted the Cyprus/San Marino horror shows should not happen. What we have is a mediocre bunch of players under a very mediocre manager lacking cohesien, experience, leadership and any semblence of tactical prowess.

I dont buy this. I know we dont have the most talented group of players in the world, but we are a potentially very decent team at the same time. Id be quite happy if we were just seeing the max the team is capable of in each game, but we're quite clearly not, and until we are, concerted efforts need to be made to improve. A manager with some motivational or tactical nous would be a start, which we clearly lack. I think a decent manager put in place now, with chances of the Euro's written off, just focusing on building the team for the world cup with some of the fantastic young players coming through.

Ireland dont have the players? Given, Finnan, Dunne, O'Dea, McShane, Duff, A Reid, S Reid, Carsley, McGeady, Doyle, Keane, Elliot, Stokes, Douglas, Miller etc etc etc. A team with those players, and more, should be capable of performing infinitely better then we've seen.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    I dont buy this. I know we dont have the most talented group of players in the world, but we are a potentially very decent team at the same time. Id be quite happy if we were just seeing the max the team is capable of in each game, but we're quite clearly not, and until we are, concerted efforts need to be made to improve. A manager with some motivational or tactical nous would be a start, which we clearly lack. I think a decent manager put in place now, with chances of the Euro's written off, just focusing on building the team for the world cup with some of the fantastic young players coming through.

Ireland dont have the players? Given, Finnan, Dunne, O'Dea, McShane, Duff, A Reid, S Reid, Carsley, McGeady, Doyle, Keane, Elliot, Stokes, Douglas, Miller etc etc etc. A team with those players, and more, should be capable of performing infinitely better then we've seen.

Agree with almost all of this.

As an aside, consider the combined silverware of Irish players and you have a CL medal, several Premierships, an SPL winner and a couple of cups. And that's without Given!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

psi wrote:
    As an aside, consider the combined silverware of Irish players and you have a CL medal, several Premierships, an SPL winner and a couple of cups.
    And 2 League of Ireland Winner's Medals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

thebaz wrote:
    ok one of the best supported teams in europe deserve the assistant manager of walsall as there manager --- i'm bothered by the lack of passion in the team , drawaing with San Marino , and losing to Cyprus isn't accpetable to me, maybe thats ok for you.

Ah, you see he's described as the assistant manager of Walsall because Ireland are doing crap. If Ireland were winning, he'd be legend ex-player with 100+ caps, Irish born and bred, English championship winner, played at 3 WCs, blah blah....
    thebaz wrote:
    Yeah man, i'm on hard drugs , Delaney was meant to be one of the better ones in the FAI, less corrupt than some of the other fools, and masterminding Genesis.

I have never, ever heard anyone at any stage descibe Delaney as the saviour of Irish football. We must be on different planets.

thebaz wrote:
    If the Irish cricket team is muck and about to qualify into the Super 8, what would you clasify our football team that can draw from a massive professional playing pool, but havn't put a decent run together since 2002.

I would also say our football team is muck.
    thebaz wrote:
    Sorry , but if we beat Wales everything won't be fine, Irish football stinks at the moment, Staunton should have gone after San Marino, but the Leprechaun-kitted fools will be supporting him on Saturday -- are you one ?

Of course if Wales are beaten everything won't be fine with Irish football. Some people think Irish football starts and end with the NT, not me though. my point was that if Ireland win on Saturday, the fans will cheer the players and management off the pitch as heroes. Cyprus and SM will be forgotten by them.

And I wouldn't be caught dead dressed up like a lot of the Irish fans. I'd rather catch cancer than be seen in a leprechaun outfit.

I prefer to watch football that has passionate fans, not muppets. The two links below show the difference.
    http://www.redsindependent.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438
    http://irishtifo.bestbulletinboard.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

thebaz wrote:
    ...drawaing with San Marino..
    did you leave early?
    you missed the best bit :D

The Irish cricket team did fantastic to beat Pakistan. However Ireland should have qualified for the last world cup, but bottled it in the qualifying tournament.

The Irish rugby team have underperfomed plenty of times too. It seems to be an Irish failing that we only tend to perform at our best when we're the underdogs. The Irish soccer team certainly falls into that category, but our rugby heroes do to. They very much underperformed against both Wales and Scotland, and were lucky their opponents were poor enough not to take advantage. Ireland are the best team in the 6 Nations championship, but managed not to win it. Now hopefully they'll put it right in the world cup in France. I also find it odd how injuries are often accepted as a legitimate excuse for a rugby underperformance, but never allowed as an excuse for the Irish soccer team.

The Irish team were appalling against Cyprus and San Marino. But in between we put in a very good performance against Czech and were unlucky not to come away with 3 points. I'm sure we'll see a totally committed performance from the lads for the rest of the tournament. The atmosphere in Croke Park should be great when 76,000 supporters get behind the Irish team. The build-up to the game is a time for positivitity not negativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Shay Given - excellent goalkeeper, wouldn't be out of his depth in any premiership side

Finnan - Started 29 games for liverpool this season, a regular with a top 4 club

O Shea - featured in 25 premiership games this season, and has also featured in the other competitions - not quite a first team regular but pretty close at a team that looks like it will win the premiership and is in semi final of FA cup and Quarter final of Champions league

Dunne - 29 starts for man city - a premiership side (and I think he has been the captain as well??)

Keane - Maybe has not fulfilled the promise he showed when he was the most expensive teenager in the world when he transfered to inter milan - but still a pretty decent player who has scored 14 goals in all competitions this season

Doyle - 10 premiership goals. Top scorer at his club. This is his first season in the premiership.

Duff - having a bad season admittidly. But mostly held down a place least season with Chelsea - a team with almost unlimited money for buying players. Kept Robben & Cole out of the team on countless occassions.

Reid Andy - 15 starts for premiership side in an injury blighted season

Ireland - 10 starts for man city - still finding his feet in premiership I guess

There are numberous more examples, Ireland can pretty easily field a team of premiership regulars. Now we are not going to win the world cup granted - but to say that we don't have the players, as an excuse for the fiasco with San Marino and Cyprus is just a lie.

By rights a competant side picked from the Eircom league should see off San Marino pretty handily and could probably be expected to conceed less then 5 goals against cyprus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Zebra3 wrote:
    Ah, you see he's described as the assistant manager of Walsall because Ireland are doing crap. If Ireland were winning, he'd be legend ex-player with 100+ caps, Irish born and bred, English championship winner, played at 3 WCs, blah blah....

I have never, ever heard anyone at any stage descibe Delaney as the saviour of Irish football. We must be on different planets.

I would also say our football team is muck.

Of course if Wales are beaten everything won't be fine with Irish football. Some people think Irish football starts and end with the NT, not me though. my point was that if Ireland win on Saturday, the fans will cheer the players and management off the pitch as heroes. Cyprus and SM will be forgotten by them.

And I wouldn't be caught dead dressed up like a lot of the Irish fans. I'd rather catch cancer than be seen in a leprechaun outfit.

I prefer to watch football that has passionate fans, not muppets. The two links below show the difference.
    http://www.redsindependent.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438
    http://irishtifo.bestbulletinboard.com/

What a horrible sentence to write:( ..........oh and you don't 'catch' cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I agree with Psi here that this is a gamble, but one that went badly wrong. Time to cut loose. But I don't see Staunton resigning under any circumstances. Pressure will have to come from the fans to force Delaneys hand, seeing as he's the kingmaker. I don't care which person is in charge of the FAI, but I do care if they persist with an unproven manager who is nothing short of an embarrassment.

Rebel is correct, we do have a squad of players who with the proper management, could be doing an awful ot better than the dross we have seen against San Marino and Cyprus. IMO performances like Czech republic happened despite Stauntons best efforts; remember he wouldn't have picked either McShane or Carsley if it wasn't for injuries forcing his hand. I was there and cheering for the team like everyone else there. Nobody around me was cheering for Staunton, so the fact that he then took the crowd cheering on the team as a mandate to continue is particularly galling.

I have a question for Staunton apologists, do you not think a decent manager would then have gone on to build on the Czech Republic performance rather than let us drift aimlessly into a San Marino type performance? Exactly what would it take for you to turn around and admit that Staunton should go? Defeats against Wales and or Slovakia? When we get to 90+ in the FIFA rankings? Or are we to be blessed for another three years of listening to De Gaffor mumbling on about, theres no easy games in international football anymore, we have the best fans in the world, the ides of march, the Dublin media having it in for him because he's from Dundalk, anyone who doubts him should shut up and let "the experts"(!) get on with the job?

IMO this campaign is a write off, so we should be looking to replace him, give someone else a chance to prepare for the World Cup campaign. At this stage I'd take anyone, anyone else, because under Staunton we are only going to get worse and will become even more of a laughing stock than we are at the moment.

I have been following the team from Eoin Hand days (giving my age away here) but I have to say that Staunton is without doubt the most clueless, hapless excuse for an Irish manager that I have seen. For me it's about the team performance, not the ole ole brigade. I don't see any chance of improvement under him, only us going backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Nunu wrote:
    What a horrible sentence to write:( ..........oh and you don't 'catch' cancer.

Agree totally, uncalled for and distasteful. sad loser must think he's funny or something..

On-Topic:
    Staunton has a few more games to give him the benfit of doubt. Any more shockers like SM and he really should think about going despite his 5 year plan or whatever it is.

Did I say I was happy? I asked why you started a thread to go over the same crap that's been covered in 10 other threads.

The reason i started the thread , was the night after the San Marino farce, there were pages on here that Staunton and Delaney had to go immediatly, i predicted at the time , all the anger would go, and Stan would hang on, and get the gullible backing of the Irish fans at Croker, (nice financially for the FAI) -- i just wanted to see where had that anger gone , and to me its been highlighted by the incredible passionate performances of the Irish rugby and cricket teams , who actually look proud to wear the green , like most Irish soccer teams did until recently, until we were made fools of by the appointment of an unproven manager such as Stauntan to take charge of the National team. It was a gamble, like putting Packie Bonner in charge --- in a word --- farce.

cson wrote:
    We've certainly better players than the ones we had at the 2002 world cup imo.

In my honest opinion I think we have one of the best centre halves in the premiership in Richie Dunne. He's on course for his 3rd Man City player of the year award in a row. Their problem isn't in defence. They may be 15th in the league but they've the 6th best defensive record in the premiership which is excellent considering they have to deal with a lot more than the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea.

I really like the look of McShane. He has the intelligience most of our players lack. I think that's where our problem is. Look at Spain and their central midfielders Xavi, Alonso and Fabregas are more tactically astute than all our players put together.

We rely on a decent manager more than most for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I dont know who is the more annoying section of the Irish crowd- the people who want Stan out so badly they want us to lose matches, or people who believe anyone present in Croker who is wearing a jersey but isnt a player is some sort of bandwagon jumper. Careful to avoid actually having a bit of a laugh watching a match, eh :rolleyes:

We`re stuck with the current set up, its not as if they can fly Gus Hiddink or Martin O`Neill in before Saturday to save the day (and even if they were in from the start, do you really think they could have done better than in the Holland and Cyprus matches considering the injuries?), so we have to make do with what we have got. Certainly after the present run of games Id like a change so we can rebuild over the summer (assuming we win the next two), and Id be of the opinion that even if they do win these two Stan would be out, but for now we are stuck with the current lot. Onwards and upwards it is.

shane86 wrote:
    (and even if they were in from the start, do you really think they could have done better than in the Holland and Cyprus matches considering the injuries?)
    Of course they could. We'll never have so many injuries that we can't put out a central midfield like we did in Cyprus.

Shane,

you're conveniently forgetting that it was injuries that led to Staunton having no option but to play Carsley and McShane against the Czech republic despite his stated intention not to do so. The man is clueless, utterly clueless and at this stage I would say that picking any random punter in the crowd on Saturday would be just as effective a way of getting someone to manage the team. No disrespect to random punters in the crowd, but you can be sure they wouldn't do worse.

If he really loved Irsh football the way he states he does then he should resign, I couldn't care less whether it happens before or after we play Wales or Slovakia. He won't of course, but that is as much as I have come to expect from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Shane,

you're conveniently forgetting that it was injuries that led to Staunton having no option but to play Carsley and McShane against the Czech republic despite his stated intention not to do so. The man is clueless, utterly clueless and at this stage I would say that picking any random punter in the crowd on Saturday would be just as effective a way of getting someone to manage the team. No disrespect to random punters in the crowd, but you can be sure they wouldn't do worse.

If he really loved Irsh football the way he states he does then he should resign, I couldn't care less whether it happens before or after we play Wales or Slovakia. He won't of course, but that is as much as I have come to expect from him.

Im not saying we need him as a manager, in fact the lack of call ups for certain players would seem to indicate he is carrying some personal dislikes from his squad days. What I was saying was that we have seldom if ever had an injury run like the pretty much continous one since Holland, and that I honestly dont thinkeven a world class manager couldve come up with an effective Plan B.

• Advertisement

Rebel, psi etc, you're possibly right that we have some decent standard players. We have no out and out world class player though.

Anyway, Dunne, O'Shea and Keane et al may be having decent seasons for their respective clubs but what the hell happens them when they put on a green jersey?

cson wrote:
    Rebel, psi etc, you're possibly right that we have some decent standard players. We have no out and out world class player though.
    Who do the Czechs have? Rosicky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Zebra3 wrote:
    The Ireland cricket team is muck yet is at the WC. Jump on their bandwagon all you like.
    the irish cricket team is far from muck

eirebhoy wrote:
    Who do the Czechs have? Rosicky?

Yet they consistently reach the major finals year after year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

cson you're kinda arguing against yourself there. you said ireland have no world class players, eirabhoy pointed out that neither really do the czechs, you pointed out that they always qualify for things - ergo we should really be qualifying for things with our level of quality all over the pitch but lacking absolute stars (though in theory duff [debatable i know but i cant bring myself to not mention him], mcgeady, doyle and keane show signs for their clubs of being that type of star player)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

cson wrote:
    Yet they consistently reach the major finals year after year.
    Not always. They've happened to have their best team in decades over the last 4 or 5 years. I havent checked but in the previous 15 or 20 years I'd say they qualifed for about half of the major tournaments.

And the really good team they've had recently is all but gone now, and the new one isnt near as good (from the little I've seen of them).

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote:
    cson you're kinda arguing against yourself there. you said ireland have no world class players, eirabhoy pointed out that neither really do the czechs, you pointed out that they always qualify for things - ergo we should really be qualifying for things with our level of quality all over the pitch but lacking absolute stars (though in theory duff [debatable i know but i cant bring myself to not mention him], mcgeady, doyle and keane show signs for their clubs of being that type of star player)

Yeah I just realised that. Ooops. So perhaps we should be better than ranked 60 ish in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

If greece can win the euros then I don't accept the argument that we don't have the players. I don't expect us to win the euros or anything but "we don't have the players" is nothing to do with our current situation.

Hear hear Jimmy, it's not about not having the players. It's all about getting the best out of the players we have. If this was happening nobody would be complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

Good Irish teams of the past have always played for the jersey and above themselves i.e. the sum was greater than it's parts. But it seems to be the opposite at the moment. Lets not forget that most of our players are playing in what is arguably the best league in the world. We should be well capable of getting out of this group - we should be on a par with the czechs at least and capable of beating the germans in croker. Instead we have got hammered by cyprus and humbled by san marino. No true fan wants us to lose matches so stan gets the boot but if we don't get 2 wins this week he should walk.....

I doubt he'll be sacked, it'd cost too much money. I'm not 100% sure of the financial situation with the FAI but it seems to me that they simply cannot afford a world class manager such as Hiddink, O'Neill etc.

Maybe with the internationals being held in Croker they might have more funds (presuming the GAA don't take too big a bite out of the gate receipts).

Ireland would perhaps turn out more quality players but for the sheer number of sports played here. Kids nowadays have to choose between GAA, Rugby and Soccer and that would dilute the talent pool somewhat. Take for instance Shane Long who might well have continued on hurling or Kevin Doyle with the Wexford team.

Thats my take on it.

• Advertisement

PRman wrote:
    Good Irish teams of the past have always played for the jersey and above themselves i.e. the sum was greater than it's parts. But it seems to be the opposite at the moment. Lets not forget that most of our players are playing in what is arguably the best league in the world. We should be well capable of getting out of this group - we should be on a par with the czechs at least and capable of beating the germans in croker. Instead we have got hammered by cyprus and humbled by san marino. No true fan wants us to lose matches so stan gets the boot but if we don't get 2 wins this week he should walk.....

I agree completly with this , except for one thing , Stan should be gone by now --- he has no experience of management , and i find his chip on his shoulder nauseating -- one of the rumours doing the rounds, is he only got the job cause he was a drinking buddy of Delaney's -- nothing would surprise me -- anyway at least the Irish cricket team are on there way to the Super 8 , another sport well run -- if you ever checked cricket facilities in comparison to football, there is no comparison ... hot showers , bars ... basically a well run organisation.

With the greatest respect thebaz if you want to bang on about cricket there is a forum for it. You're comparing chalk and cheese if you compare cricket with soccer in this country.

Cricket is played by a minority and most of the players would be from wealthy backgrounds. Congrats to the Irish team by all accounts and I do hope they do well.

cson wrote:
    With the greatest respect thebaz if you want to bang on about cricket there is a forum for it. You're comparing chalk and cheese if you compare cricket with soccer in this country.

Cricket is played by a minority and most of the players would be from wealthy backgrounds. Congrats to the Irish team by all accounts and I do hope they do well.

I'm just giving an example of a Sport administered well, with commited players , and decent management.
    I think its a perception that cricket is a game for the wealthy , I would say many on the Irish team are not from wealthy backgrounds . Generally with the Celtic tiger in full motion , the class boundaries in most sports is being broken down .

Soccer forum... soccer

cricket forum ..... cricket.......

psi wrote:
    Soccer forum... soccer

cricket forum ..... cricket.......

My gripe is with Soccer and the FAI administation and the appointment and retention of Stan , just highlighting cricket as an example of a sport that is well run .

Baz, you're on a sticky wicket with this cricket thing, so get back to football eh?

Seriously though I'm surprised that this rumour about him only getting the job because he was Delaneys drinking buddy is only doing the rounds now. I'm sure I read this when he was first appointed (or maybe it was about the time of the Holland game).

Whenever it was, if true it's another example of world class management from a world class organisation. [Ahem]

Bobby Robson is back to help out , just seen him interviewed on Sky News , nice man with a good football brain, who WAS a top class manager , but managing and motivating a National football is not what he should be doing now -- i guess he'll be put under the spotlight again , if we fail to deliver once again at weekend, whilst Delaney and Stan hideout and sneak a few drinks on the FAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

thebaz wrote:
    I agree completly with this , except for one thing , Stan should be gone by now --- he has no experience of management , and i find his chip on his shoulder nauseating -- one of the rumours doing the rounds, is he only got the job cause he was a drinking buddy of Delaney's -- nothing would surprise me -- anyway at least the Irish cricket team are on there way to the Super 8 , another sport well run -- if you ever checked cricket facilities in comparison to football, there is no comparison ... hot showers , bars ... basically a well run organisation.

Well the FAI have made our bed so we have lie in it for the moment and support the team and Stan this weekend. However I agree with you he should never have been given the job in the first place. If we dont get 6 points Stan AND Delaney should both walk. However Delaney has spearheaded an increase in turnover 4 d FAI with the help of ripping off fans ticket prices, increased sponsorship, etc. so that might save him. Football is in bits in this country I get changed on the side of the pitch in the freezing cold while the rugger buggers enjoy hot showers and free pints up the road. Look at Shels - Their our national league champions??? Should never have happened. All down to bad management....

PRman wrote:
    Well the FAI have made our bed so we have lie in it for the moment and support the team and Stan this weekend. However I agree with you he should never have been given the job in the first place. If we dont get 6 points Stan AND Delaney should both walk. However Delaney has spearheaded an increase in turnover 4 d FAI with the help of ripping off fans ticket prices, increased sponsorship, etc. so that might save him. Football is in bits in this country I get changed on the side of the pitch in the freezing cold while the rugger buggers enjoy hot showers and free pints up the road. Look at Shels - Their our national league champions??? Should never have happened. All down to bad management....

Again i agree totally with you , i started out playing junior football , and then started playing rugby , overawed by the facilities , then took them as the norm , then i went back to football , and changing in trailors or side of the pitch , where cold water broken showers were the norm , i was shocked at the accptance that this was the norm --- the only point i differ on , is that the Stan and Robson show should be over by now --- not acceptable.

I think Staunton is losing the plot altogether ,his team selection, his agressive attitude when interviewed bugs , yes we won -- but Wales were a disgrace , even Giggs and Belamy.

We have a half decentt decent squad,
    Given, Finan, McShane, Dunne, O'Dea, O'Shea , Carsley, Ireland , Hunt, Duff, Keane, Doyle

who managed by a knowledgeable and savvy manager would serve the country proud -- still disgruntled until the Stan and Robson show is over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement