Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

QuickPark Price Rise

• 19-03-2007 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭

QuickPark Long Term Car Park (Dublin Airport) have increased their daily rate to €7.50 (from last Friday March 16th). www.quickpark.ie

(That's a 50% rise since opening: €5, €6 and now €7.50 per day).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So now only €1 cheaper than the main Dublin Airport car park. So much for competition.The last time I was away for a week it cost me more to park the car than fly. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

is_that_so wrote:
    So now only €1 cheaper than the main Dublin Airport car park. So much for competition.The last time I was away for a week it cost me more to park the car than fly. :mad:
    I suppose you can't blame them as it's almost always full during the peak morning demand time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I`m assuming that QuickPark`s operating costs have increased by a similar 50% in that period......I trust the Shuttlebus drivers wages have risen by at least ....lets see now.....saaay...33.3%...?
    Perhaps the increase is to fund the laying of Tarmacadam surfacing and perhaps to pay Fingal Co Co for a waste water run off licence or some such codology....:)

Wonder why they suspended the VERY handy Internet Booking facility...???

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote:
    I`m assuming that QuickPark`s operating costs have increased by a similar 50% in that period......I trust the Shuttlebus drivers wages have risen by at least ....lets see now.....saaay...33.3%...?
    Perhaps the increase is to fund the laying of Tarmacadam surfacing and perhaps to pay Fingal Co Co for a waste water run off licence or some such codology....:)

Wonder why they suspended the VERY handy Internet Booking facility...???
    The price rise seems to have coincided with some operational changes. They now utilise their own buses and drivers which, up to recently, were supplied by Aircoach.

The online facility was suspended as it is much more lucrative to operate on a 'first come, first serve' basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

In the Irish Times last week a small article said that some of the increase was to fund a robust internet booking facility. It also said that the owner of QuickPark has setup his own bus company to take over the shuttle bus service from Aircoach who currently operate it. The service is not frequent enough for his liking. I have to agree having used the carpark a number of times. Incidentally, the owner of QuickPark used to own Aircoach and sold it a couple of years ago...

• Advertisement

Tonio wrote:
    In the Irish Times last week a small article said that some of the increase was to fund a robust internet booking facility
    I believe there are plans to increase capacity and extra land has been acquired. Perhaps the online service will be resurrected.
    Tonio wrote:
    It also said that the owner of QuickPark has setup his own bus company to take over the shuttle bus service from Aircoach who currently operate it. Incidentally, the owner of QuickPark used to own Aircoach and sold it a couple of years ago...
    Yes, John O'Sullivan sold 90% of Aircoach to www.firstgroup.com .
    Tonio wrote:
    The service is not frequent enough for his liking. I have to agree having used the carpark a number of times.
    Aircoach were providing the number of buses and drivers which Quickpark requested. The number and frequency was not within Aircoach's remit. Quickpark advertised a 5 minute frequency for the shuttle buses but that would be physically impossible when there are just 3 buses in operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Well there goes any incentive for using it instead of DAA. I wish I had some land alongside the airport, what a goldmine it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,522 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The online facility was suspended as it is much more lucrative to operate on a 'first come, first serve' basis.
    Apparently it was difficult to predict when non-booked parkers would leave and too much capacity was being given over to space reserved by pre-booked spaces.
    Yes, John O'Sullivan sold 90% of Aircoach to www.firstgroup.com .
    He sold the rest.

Victor wrote:
    Apparently it was difficult to predict when non-booked parkers would leave and too much capacity was being given over to space reserved by pre-booked spaces
    Yes, they had to turn away hordes of arrivals at the gates as they had constantly needed to keeps vacant spaces for the hundreds who had prebooked.

With the 'first come, first serve' system it is easily possible to get well over 100% occupancy as the same space can be paid for twice, by two different customers, within a 24 hour period.
    Victor wrote:
    He sold the rest.
    I didn't know that Victor, thanks. (BTW - did he sell the rest to First?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,522 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I didn't know that Victor, thanks. (BTW - did he sell the rest to First?)
    AFAIK yes. It was in last week's article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

when it was a fiver or even six as now, if i was going away for up to five days most of the time id just drive and leave the car, but if its going up to 7.50, id imagine people will start to get lifts out or public transport.

Idbatterim wrote:
    when it was a fiver or even six as now, if i was going away for up to five days most of the time id just drive and leave the car, but if its going up to 7.50
    It went up last Friday. ;)
    Idbatterim wrote:
    id imagine people will start to get lifts out or public transport
    Public transport/lifts may be available and suitable for some people but for many travellers, it's a non-runner. e.g. a family from Donegal making a 5am check-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Public transport/lifts may be available and suitable for some people but for many travellers, it's a non-runner. e.g. a family from Donegal making a 5am check-in.

That is true, but in fairness to Bus Eireann there are now bus services from Derry at 0045 and Letterkenny at 0145 that both service the Airport! I'd say that Donegal Town will be next!

KC61 wrote:
    That is true, but in fairness to Bus Eireann there are now bus services from Derry at 0045 and Letterkenny at 0145 that both service the Airport! I'd say that Donegal Town will be next!
    Fair enough but when you arrive back from a holiday with a family in tow at 4am, it's nice to be able to get into your own car and drive home.

PS - I just picked Donegal at random, I didn't specifically mean that it was poorly served by public transport.

Advertisement