Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on wireless BB - rural north Wexford

Options
  • 19-03-2007 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Just enquiring if anyone has experience with wireless providers in rural north Wexford (... as opposed to urban north Wexford lol) ?

For example:
    • Regional Broadband
    • Wexford Broadband
    • Callidus Telecom

Some of them charging up to €300 install (Wexford BB), so you'd want to be pretty sure about QoS before commiting....

All help/comments appreciated. Thanks.

(Just on the side: I noticed some of them are talking about coax cabling in the house, and how they are using cable modem technology. This is totally different to my experience with IBB's Breeze product for example......)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Wexford broadband use satellite backhaul so its useless for voip or gaming. I would look into http://www.permanet.ie before any of those you listed everything Ive heard about Permanet has been very good. If you have line of site to croghan they should be able to get it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭campers

everything Ive heard about Permanet has been very good. If you have line of site to croghan they should be able to get it for you.

I'm not sure about LoS to Croghan (I had to get the map out on that one...) but distance-wise we're about 18km (11 miles) as the crow flies. Is that a serviceable distance for this kind of thing, depending on LoS?

Im not 100% sure on that but they have all of north Wexford covered as long as you have LOS to one of their transmitters(unlike me :( ) it really depends on what area your in. Best thing to do is to ring them up and see what the story is, If it was available Id get dsl before any of the wireless company's around here because most are not cheap and would be better value and cheaper to pay for line rental + broadband rather than getting wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Permanets signals can reach 22 MILES, according to the guy who came out to do a Line Of Sight test for me. Which failed :(

Permanets signals can reach 22 MILES, according to the guy who came out to do a Line Of Sight test for me. Which failed :(
    It can reach that far but I don't think they have the license to provide it that far, though I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

It can reach that far but I don't think they have the license to provide it that far, though I could be wrong.

AFAIK Permanet and a myriad of other operators are restricted to 10KM's from the base station. There is many places where a person may be technically able to receive broadband but legally the operator eg. Permanet are not allowed to provide the signal without breaching the terms of their own licence issued by ComReg.

ComReg would then possibly fine the ISP or whatever the penalty set out in the licence is. ComReg are quick to enforce this on smaller telco's while letting Eircom get away with blue murder in comparison..... Hypocrites.

netwhizkid wrote:
    AFAIK Permanet and a myriad of other operators are restricted to 10KM's from the base station.
    I was told that Permanet's licence was originally for 15km radius but was made larger not sure of the accuracy of this information but none the less its well over 10km radius on their maps.

Advertisement